Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

Thanks! Yeah, Phoenix is still under that policy and I'm guessing will be going forward. On the plus side, the third party event management/security team they hired this year was outstanding and made the security process so much better.

I checked the Dickies at my local store (yes, I could only seem to find them in one place) and the color was way off. I'm with you in that it seems there are multiple colors of Khaki in the Dickies. Perhaps it's where they are made and shipped from? Either way, the Dickies were a bust for me. I did manage to find another online retailer after some serious digging that let me check out online with the Flying Cross pants. Here's to hoping my order processes without any issues. Should that fail, I'm guessing I'll be stuck color matching as best as possible in a department store since the con is coming up in roughly 6 weeks.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Your costume came out great. Two questions though: what type of hat did you end up using because it’s spot on. And what was the site you ended up ordering the pants through?

I’m trying to put this costume together and I’ve been on this thread day and night trying to figure out all the right elements to pull it off — thank you all for being so massively helpful!

Your costume came out great. Two questions though: what type of hat did you end up using because it’s spot on. And what was the site you ended up ordering the pants through?

I’m trying to put this costume together and I’ve been on this thread day and night trying to figure out all the right elements to pull it off — thank you all for being so massively helpful!

Thank you!

The hat is the Stetson Stratoliner in Caribou. I removed the band and utilized a tiny bit of light grease to provide the dirt ring that is seen on the show.

The pants are from lawuniform.com (http://www.lawuniform.com/UMSS.cfm?page=page-index.cfm&Product_ID=1078&template_code=Product).

Best of luck with your costume! Everyone on this thread are really helpful.

Thanks! It is the UHC model UA 931S - a Very close replica of S&W Model 66 .357 Magnum I purchased on Amazon. I tried to copy link but not successfully- I will try again. The s in 931 stands for silver. The proportions on name tag were off (my fault) I found Hawkins police patch on Etsy . The hat i purchased in Germany. Just a felt fedora - I am not paying $600 for the real thing!Thanks for likes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like this model revolver has been retired or something because I’m finding it impossible to track down. I found a similar model but the grips and barrel are just a bit off. Does anyone have a line on the model Allen pasted?

Wow your costume looks perfect! Well done!

Just wanted to add a mention of what happened to me at LA Anime Expo.

(Hopper terrorized by whimsical girlie anime characters)

https://i.imgur.com/MkwEBSN.jpg

A guy about my age came up and was very enthusiastic about my cosplay. He asked to take a photo of me like many people did, then he asked if he could take closeup photos of my Hawkins Police Chief badge, my HOPPER nameplate, and my Hawkins Police patch. He was exclaiming stuff like "wow you have the right badge! and the right patch!"

After thanking me for allowing the closeup photos he then asked "is everything real? it looks real. the shirt and the pants look real" and I said yes the shirt and pants are the real thing by Flying Cross.

"I thought so" he said, then whipped out his badge! He's a retired Sheriff. He complemented me on "getting everything right". He would know!

It kinda made my day...

I love that story! That's quite an endorsement! I had a couple of officers eyeing me at Phoenix Comic Fest making me nervous with all of the new security restrictions. They finally got the courage to come over and ask for a photo with me and my wife dressed as Eleven and exclaimed "Mornings ARE for coffee and contemplation after all!" Fun stuff.

Seems like this model revolver has been retired or something because I’m finding it impossible to track down. I found a similar model but the grips and barrel are just a bit off. Does anyone have a line on the model Allen pasted?

I found it online but they cancelled my order- they obviously didn't have them in stock.

Last edited:
I had a couple of officers eyeing me at Phoenix Comic Fest making me nervous with all of the new security restrictions. They finally got the courage to come over and ask for a photo with me and my wife dressed as Eleven and exclaimed "Mornings ARE for coffee and contemplation after all!" Fun stuff.

Very cool!

Yes it's something I've had to get used to, cosplaying Hopper: the looks I get from actual cops. If they're a Stranger Things fan they know what the deal is, but if they don't...

BTW at every Con I've done Hopper I've got at least one "are you Sherriff Andy??" OMG how clueless. (I don't think he ever wears a hat, or a holster, or a beard.)

The hat is the Stetson Stratoliner in Caribou.

That's possibly the closest production hat.

There's a guy at The Fedora Lounge that bought one of the $600 official Worth & Worth replicas; the colour is just as enigmatic as the hat on the show.

Here's a photo he took of his hat on his dashboard

ni7xnI4.jpg

My Stetson Stratoliner in Caribou for comparison

rSsMBoU.jpg

Attachments

• Vz7L8Ak.jpg
    Vz7L8Ak.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Thread bump --- I really need some help with the blue friendship bracelet..... any tips on good material. Paracord is too thick.
Any good Etsy or eBay vendors for it?

Thread bump --- I really need some help with the blue friendship bracelet..... any tips on good material. Paracord is too thick.
Any good Etsy or eBay vendors for it?
My friend found the original. It’s a hair tie. You can get them at kroger

Sweet! They seemed to match up to screenshots and I snagged the last one in the store. I wouldn’t have even been looking if I hadn’t seen your post. :)

Sweet! They seemed to match up to screenshots and I snagged the last one in the store. I wouldn’t have even been looking if I hadn’t seen your post. :)

Happy I could help! It's actually funny how he found them. He was wracking his brain, searching all over the internet. One day, he was at kroger and thought he would check for the hair-tie. Boom, there it was!

Also, he has the worth and worth hat. It's a steal for a beaver hat. That thing will outlive all of us. I got to handle it and it is gorgeous.

(Hopper terrorized by whimsical girlie anime characters)

https://i.imgur.com/MkwEBSN.jpg
Oh NoEs!1 It’S tOo LaTe ChIeF1! rUn AwAy!

But in all seriousness...
He's a retired Sheriff. He complemented me on "getting everything right". He would know!

It kinda made my day...
This too, made my day. It shows that dedicated costuming can deserve appreciation from even the finest in our communities. Always makes me smile to see more occurrences like this.

Hi all! Great job on finding all this info, everyone. I am Hoping to have my Hopper wearable by Halloween.

A couple of things I’ve found:

Boots- Thorogood makes an 8” moc toe with the correct sole (“American Heritage” Style number 804-4208)

Holster- Hobby Lobby sells a leather holster kit for about $15 if you’re feeling crafty. (I’ll post pics when mine is done; waiting for the dye to dry)

Last edited:
I've finally started looking into Hopper's Timex watch. In my hunting I've noticed that there seem to be 3 different variants.

The model numbers are in the T77511** variety, but I have no confirmation of difference in model numbers between the 3 (which must be designated by the '**' digits). Watches with a T77517** model number appear to look identical except they come with a steel bracelet instead of rubber like Hopper's.

As you can see, the only visual difference is in the text at the top of the bezel and the top strap... unless I'm missing something else.

Capture.JPG

So what do you think? Has anyone studied the watch enough yet to be able to tell if his says "TRIATHLON", "EXPEDITION", or "ATLANTIS 100"?

Last edited:
So I answered my own question after investing in the blu ray. Turns out bogeyphobia99 was spot on in identifying the Atlantis 100 (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=283224&page=4&p=4362602&viewfull=1#post4362602).

You can clearly read “Atlantis” on the strap and some other text indicating he specifically wears the “Night Mode” variant (at least in these scenes from 105). The worn white lettering on the bezel also doesn’t seem to fit the words EXPEDITION or TRIATHLON either.

3a52ea3ad6181effb760591a686f30e0.jpg

The version shown on the far left is the non-Night Mode variant and you can also see the "Indiglo" and "Set" buttons are swapped.

Sorry to whomever I outbid on ebay last weekend for a new one of these. :lol

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back