Darth Vader Stunt and Promo lightsaber casting

Don Bies made one hero lightsaber prop for the Energizer Bunny commercial. This was made from scratch - no link to original trilogy sabers other than being influenced by the design.

The resin casting in this thread is from a mold of the Energizer saber that was made to produce resin lightsabers for the Vader touring / promotional costumes that Don Bies (under DNA Productions I believe) made in the mid to late 90s. If you search around I believe Don has told this story in the past. This casting has no link to the original trilogy.

Best
Brandon

Given that Vader drop-kicks the thing at the end of the commercial I'm guessing they made some resin casts. You can't go doing that to a hero take after take.

Also, where else does the Luke Hero style buttons and arrows show up?

Thanks Brandon, I'm excited to have a piece of advertising history influenced by the OT.

Don Bies made one hero lightsaber prop for the Energizer Bunny commercial. This was made from scratch - no link to original trilogy sabers other than being influenced by the design.

The resin casting in this thread is from a mold of the Energizer saber that was made to produce resin lightsabers for the Vader touring / promotional costumes that Don Bies (under DNA Productions I believe) made in the mid to late 90s. If you search around I believe Don has told this story in the past. This casting has no link to the original trilogy.

Best
Brandon

Also, that means those archive pictures were taken in the 90s. Brandon, do you know about any of the parts on Don Bies' saber? Thanks in advance for humoring me (us) :)

Last edited:
Can you take some precise measurements of the shape and size of the t-track? If you need a set of calipers, I can send them to you.

Dan

7 Track
(roughly, no protractor here)
10-20 degree bevel on the front (very slight)
45-55 degree bevel at the rear, like Luke ANH - only beveled ridge, not the bottom

using mm slide calipers
longest 107.5 mm long (some 105 mm, some 106.5 mm)

Base
12 mm wide (some 11.75 mm,12.5 mm)
2.5 mm thick (some also 2 mm and 3.75 mm)

Ridge
7mm high (some 6.5 mm, some nearly 8mm)
2mm thick (some 3mm, some 2.5mm)

add Base thickness and Ridge height for total height
Ridge thickness is part of Base width

either side of ridge
flat surface 5mm

screws hex/allen screws with 4mm dia head

The grips are all right angles, no curves in the profile

They fluctuate in thickness, height, length and even the flat ridge dips down on one of them. At least one grip has a crooked ridge but lined up base, looking down at it.

Here's some pics of the Energizer saber:
File5742.jpg

File5743.jpg

File5744.jpg

File5745.jpg

File5746.jpg

File5747.jpg

File5748.jpg

File5749.jpg

File5750.jpg

File5751.jpg

File5752.jpg

File5753.jpg

File5754.jpg

File5755.jpg

File5756.jpg

File5757.jpg

File5758.jpg

Hey Chaim, sorry so late to the disscussion, but the shared ANH saber you're referring to looks just like this replica in the pic that I hope I paste correctly below. I can't remember who made this, but they did an incredible job replicating it! If anyone knows who made it, please comment? Thanks
image_zpsfv6gr5g1.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back