New McFly jean jacket replica!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a picture of them wearing the most recent Max Cady jacket? Because from the pictures I've seen, the distance between the yoke and the pockets seems too long.

Just gonna put this here...

C64CF0D2-77B8-411B-B595-9A429B62A821.png

Just gonna put this here...

View attachment 810496

Oh that's definitely a Cady. You can tell by the double-stitch elastic waistband and the color scheme. See, my one issue with it is that it looks very long on people. I know the jacket is supposed to be a bit oversized and baggy, but it always looked like the waist was not as low as the Cady's are. Perhaps that's just the way it looks in photos, though.

Are you sure @SeanMcFly , the colors look different than the Max Cady... what do you mean by color scheme?

I mean that although the flash brightens up the colors a bit, the ratio between the grey and the blue is the same as a slightly worn-in Cady. Look at joelgoodson's post at the very top of this page because that's got a bit of flash in it as well. I could be wrong, but the yoke shape (slightly more curved than the original 1984 guess jacket) and the waistband remind me of the Cady one. Also the Cady's come with buttons with slightly more of a golden hue than the original worn brass Guess ones, so that also leads me to believe it could very well be a Cady.

Ehhh maybe, just looks a bit more stone washed than a cady.

I do agree with you, but I've always said if I got a Cady, I'd want to stone wash it a bit more. Perhaps someone had the same idea? This is very interesting, though, because it's definitely a replica judging by the waistband...so the question is...if it's not a Cady, who makes this one? Because it looks pretty good.

Sorry Mitas, didn't know.

No need to apologize lol. Just thought you should know. All of their progress is tracked there if you want to check it out. Right now the most up to date information is a short video they released of them using their industrial chemical to fade the denim.

If I was able to ask Robert Zemeckis or Bob Gale a question it would be where the Part I costume went. Other than the Shah Safari and maroon shirts, the rest of the costume has disappeared.

If I was able to ask Robert Zemeckis or Bob Gale a question it would be where the Part I costume went. Other than the Shah Safari and maroon shirts, the rest of the costume has disappeared.

As far as I know, the part 1 jacket went to the winner of a competition. It would be interesting to know where the jacket from the "Blast from the Past" window went.

As far as I know, the part 1 jacket went to the winner of a competition. It would be interesting to know where the jacket from the "Blast from the Past" window went.

I remember reading about that. I think the winner was supposed to be revealed in the next issue of Teen Beat Magazine, but the contest was never mentioned again so people think someone either stole the jacket or some sort of corruption occured and it was given to someone close to the films. I would also ask how the jacket was made. The general concensus is that it was custom perhaps with scraps of real guess jackets. But there are no Guess jackets with a full one piece faded blue back. Its always either two pieces sometimes of different colors sewn together or there is another piece of denim or leather sewn to the back and if removed there is a big portion that has not been faded because it was covered up l.

Last edited:
Was it even a guess jacket though? There were many brands making that style. Personally, I think his whole outfit was off the shelf... if it was a guess jacket, we would be able to see the dark spot from the triangle.

Was it even a guess jacket though? There were many brands making that style. Personally, I think his whole outfit was off the shelf... if it was a guess jacket, we would be able to see the dark spot from the triangle.

People use to think that was the case. But no proof of this design existing outside of Back to the Future and some tv show where a kid has one just without the paisley liner has been found.

Sometimes you'll see these vests that are apparently what were used to make a full jacket. But they usually have one or two things wrong with them. This particular one has a brass button in the wrong place and the waistband is the wrong design.
attachment.php

MitasTouch , this is from another thread-
I believe that it's no doubt an off the rack piece and not a custom order. The jacket does exist, there's been a few pop up, but what really puts the nail in the coffin for me is this photo taken in 1988 of someone wearing it.

I think that the costume department bought a couple of these (I think 2, one for MJF and one for the stunt man) and only modified the inside. I just can't see it being a custom order because one was already made.
de64f479aea97c3c01b9ecfde6a0756c.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Also this-
Hey everyone,
Another thing I should make note of, is that Michael J Fox's wardrobe had to be quickly styled, because there was very little time between shooting with Eric Stoltz and when Michael took over. This tells us that if these items were all in fact store bought, then they were all purchased in early 1985.
With that said, it's picture time!
6214963823_8f8e7e0217_b.jpg

(From L to R)
1. Marty's film used jacket...we're all painfully aware.

2. The jacket found on ebay by BTTF.com member Gamester. The original owner of this jacket purchased it while on vacation in 1985 at a Guess outlet store in get this, Puerta Vuallarta, Mexico of all places! More on that later...

3. This photo taken in 1985 was posted by a BTTF.com member named Matt, who purchased this at a southern California Guess outlet store in '85 and no longer owns at it, but did at one time, helping to further prove it's existence as something once available at retail.

4. This is a screenshot from the TV show Facts of Life, the episode it's from originally aired in Nov 1985 again confirming it was at least made or available in 1985. I will also add that when I first made this discovery I contacted the costume designer, and explained my interest to her and she told me that while she couldn't recall exactly where she had acquired the jacket that she would have bought it at retail, and that it was not the same one used in BTTF.

SO...with that knowledge, we can determine a few things rather conclusively I'd say. It DID exist at regular retail in 1985, BTTF's film color has been filtered somehow, and the jacket was altered for the film as it is the only one with a lining.
You'll have to click the pictures for them to get full size.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MitasTouch , this is from another thread-
Also this-

You'll have to click the pictures for them to get full size.

Hmm. Ive never seen that top picture before. But I remember reading that someone looked into Guess's patents and they do not hold one for that jacket design. I do not know how to access such information so i cannot confirm nor deny this claim. My personal belief is that we would have seen a lot more of these pop up for sale if it was a real item. Or at the very least the BTTF community would know about either one or a very small amount of them being found and sold for a huge amount of money. At this point it would probably be worth more than any other off the shelf prop in the whole trilogy.

Hmm. Ive never seen that top picture before. But I remember reading that someone looked into Guess's patents and they do not hold one for that jacket design. I do not know how to access such information so i cannot confirm nor deny this claim. My personal belief is that we would have seen a lot more of these pop up for sale if it was a real item.

It seems I hadn't visited these forums in quite a while, but after receiving a notification because I'd been quoted by 67Beatle88, I decided to pop in here to see what was up...

After a couple of less than pleasant interactions with a member here (who has apparently since been banned) while discussing the "Shah Safari" shirt, I kinda stopped posting. But as I mentioned in that thread, after about a decade of searching I finally found THE jacket. Not the screen used one, but the actual off the racket jacket.

For a variety of reasons I've been very leery of posting photos of it online, partially because there are so many replicas and fakes out there now, that I didn't really want to give away the few identifying details that conclusively separate the authentic from the many lookalikes, and also because while I know there have been '80s photos of what appear to be the jacket uncovered (I even found some of them), turns out those weren't THE jacket. As far as I know, I'm the only person to own one currently.

I've decided to share a photo here, because I really do want to help the BTTF fan community and finally put everyone's curiosity about if it was a real jacket or not to rest, but I just want to make a few things clear upfront...

-I absolutely am not interested in selling it. Ever. I know it's tempting, but it's simply not for sale even for a "great offer". Any inquires to purchase will be ignored.

-I'm not interested in letting anyone examine it in person, measure it to make a replica, etc. It's literally under lock and key, as it's one of my most cherished possessions.

-I don't want to answer any questions about where I got it or how I much I paid for it (short answer: an insane amount of searching, and a lot).

-My choice not to answer those questions isn't an invite to debate me on whether or not it's authentic. I know it is, and if that's not enough to convince anyone, I'm sorry in advance. As anyone can hopefully see by reading through my old posts, I spent a decade meticulously researching this jacket and sharing all the info I had up to that point about it on here, I literally went driving around California thrift stores, emailing every used clothing store I could find, having conversations with BTTFs wardrobe stylist, Universal's wardrobe dept, etc. So I'd hope that you guys can take my word for it, but if not, that's totally fine too.

Sorry if all that came across really harsh, but I'm just here to share this with the community and want to stay drama free.

With that out of the way, the moment you've all been waiting for! Pics!

So first, we've got the jackets that have been found, the "close but not exact" jackets. This one has several things off about it which I will point out now:
close but innacurate.jpg

-The color appears to be considerably lighter on the gray areas, and considerably darker on the blue areas. (This could just be photos though).
-The single stitch along the blue shoulders, should be a double stitch.
-The buttons which have the Guess logo on them, the screen accurate jacket doesn't have this detail. Based on the timeline we've been given for the two '80s photos ('85 and '88) this appears to be a later release, which explains the better detailing.
-The Guess logo patch. This is the real big one for me, you'll see why in a second.

And here it is! My authentic Guess Marciano jacket, purchased off the rack, in the United States, in 1984 (original retail price: $69.30 :) Marty had expensive taste!)
(PS: Sorry for all the watermarks, I know they suck).

My marty jacket watermarked.jpg

-Right off the bat it should be clear that the color is a much closer match to what we see on screen, especially knowing that BTTF is a very "warm" looking movie.
-The stitch patterns and buttons are an exact match in every place.
-But the real big one...the triangle Guess patch on the bottom left pocket. Much like the one on the back of Marty's jeans, you can clearly see (especially in the scenes where Marty and Jennifer are walking towards Save The Clock Tower) that there is a ghosting effect/label scar where the Guess patch once was. I don't think I've ever seen this detail mentioned anywhere before now, and would hope this should provide the smoking gun as to the authenticity of the jacket being an off the rack purchase, and not custom.

A few other little things:
-It is surprising how similar in color the blue and gray areas appear in person, the colors aren't as different as the movie might lead you to believe. To the point that if you squint at it they almost blend together.
-The paisley lining, I've always been convinced this was something added after the fact, and remain even more convinced with the amount of research that everyone has done on this jacket.
-The two buttons pictured on my jacket, were placed there by me, I figure it goes without saying, but they are not a part of the actual jacket.

That said, hope this was informative! If you guys have any questions beyond what I said, feel free to ask.

My marty jacket watermarked.jpg

close but innacurate.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back