Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I'm not sure that Abrams had any other ideas about the parentage. He did say that the answer was in TFA. and I believe she does tell people that "I'm nobody"

I'm fairly certain he had no plan about her parentage. Or about Snoke. This is the biggest problem I have with Abrams and his mystery boxes. He loves to set up the mystery under the notion that he can come up with a solution later, but then he winds up stuck when the mystery is greater than his storytelling abilities (case in point: Lost).

People are calling out lazy writing in The Last Jedi, but really, the laziness started with trying to make Snoke and Rey's parentage big mysteries in TFA -- because really, those details shouldn't have been consuming the story with speculation the way they have been the last two years.

I'm fairly certain he had no plan about her parentage. Or about Snoke. This is the biggest problem I have with Abrams and his mystery boxes. He loves to set up the mystery under the notion that he can come up with a solution later, but then he winds up stuck when the mystery is greater than his storytelling abilities (case in point: Lost).

People are calling out lazy writing in The Last Jedi, but really, the laziness started with trying to make Snoke and Rey's parentage big mysteries in TFA -- because really, those details shouldn't have been consuming the story with speculation the way they have been the last two years.
I agree.

A lot of the problems here were set up by abrams.

And as I said in the post above, ending the film with Rey and Luke on the cliffside was a HUGE mistake. The film could very well have ended with Rey and chewie taking off to find him.

There was no way to have a sequel except to have it start immediately. The time leap matters to the story telling.

Now, if they wanted to change the character and have Luke be compliant, then this film could have started a month or so into her training. Or even a year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree.

A lot of the problems here were set up by abrams.

And as I said in the post above, ending the film with Rey and Luke on the cliffside was a HUGE mistake. The film could very well have ended with Rey and chewie taking off to find him.

There was no way to have a sequel except to have it start immediately. The time leap matters to the story telling.

Yeah, really the film should have ended with Rey and Chewie taking off to find Luke.

We see that the map to the temple spans pretty much the entire galaxy, so with what we were given, I have no problems accepting that the time jump actually occurs in the final moments of Force Awakens between when Rey leaves the Resistance base, and when she finds Luke. This would also give her time to be exploring her powers during the trip (remember: Luke clearly also learned a lot on his own between A New Hope and Empire, given that he somehow managed to learn to pull his saber from the ice despite having never seen that power before).

But again, like you said, this is a problem created by Abrams, because he wanted the conceit of the Luke reveal for himself. And from the premier of Force Awakens, everyone knew this was going to create a problem for the next film, because the exact continuation was forced onto the story.

Agreed! Double yawn.

you.jpg

Last edited:
After watching it a second time, I have developed a few more thoughts. While this film is fun with many small things I'd alter, something is now becoming more and more obvious to me.

Star Wars has it's roots in myths, the heroes journey. Lucas was a student under Joseph Campbell, and we see in ANH a young farm boy longing to leave his planet, along his journey a wizard accompanies him who opens his eyes and mentors him, and this young boy takes his first steps into the galaxy. Then in ESB we see the character develop more, rashly leave his training to save his friends, faces some terrible truths and learns many hard lessons. And in the final chapter we see him come full circle. In the PT we also see a young boy, and there we deal with him being taken from mother, murder of his mother, being impatient, being fearful, dealing with anger and how his choices differed from his son's.

Now we come to new trilogy, and while Rey's story echos Lukes, once her journey starts it very quickly departs. From the getgo of her 'Awakening' she excels at everything; does a Force persuasion on a trooper, turns a mind probe against the user, beats a trained user in the Force; the grandson of Vader with a saber she's never used, and now in TLJ it just continues. She still has no training, her saber skills are even more advanced despite TLJ taking place immediately after TFA. Recall Luke using the Force in the wampa cave, that was over a year after ANH and yet he still struggled but was successful. He had power but had no training. On the other hand Rey is fighting with the skills of Jedi Knight and taking on Red Guards like she's been practicing for years. IMO, the heroes journey shouldn't have the main character go from 0 to 100mph in 2 movies. It's just not relatable, nor does it have it's roots like the other SW films do. Whether it's Luke, Anakin, heck any other hero from history; whether its King Arthur, any Greek hero like Odysseus, or even biblical heroes, they all have their faults in their story. I can't think of a single flaw Rey exhibits that follows this path.

This lack of knowledge of the underlying fundamentals of how SW works is why this new trilogy just doesn't do it for me.

I know everyone likes to pretend the prequels don't exist, but they do, and lots of people in the galaxy are force sensitive, even if they don't know it. Qui Gon says something to Shmi like "if he were born in the republic, we would have identified him at an early age..." That's not the line verbatim, but you get the point. With or without midichlorians, it is shown that force sensitivity is not limited to the Jedi; rather, that the Jedi seem to sweep up all the force sensitive people they can find. But little Ani would have been force sensitive whether or not Qui Gon found him. Presumably that's true for all the younglings.

It's not possible to be exclusive to jedi. You can't be born a jedi as they're basically a private club. They say who is allowed in and who's not.

Of course it's a crapshoot as to who can use the force, but the saga was about a lineage that was tied to the force. If you want to change that, start a new saga don't change what's there.

This lack of knowledge of the underlying fundamentals of how SW works is why this new trilogy just doesn't do it for me.

I feel that JJ and Johnson approached directing very politician-like, in that they'll say they love and respect Star Wars, when in fact they want to destroy it and remake it in their own image. It's like the rules have been rewritten twice in a row now.

I feel that JJ and Johnson approached directing very politician-like, in that they'll say they love and respect Star Wars, when in fact they want to destroy it and remake it in their own image. It's like the rules have been rewritten twice in a row now.

TFA does well enough at being SW. It evokes enough of the OT, avoids evoking the PT, and was not divisive like TLJ. I actually think that's why JJ got part 9.

Thing's I'm happy didn't happen in The Last Jedi
- Luke didn't turn
That's not wrong, but it's not right either. From a certain point of view, he did turn to the Dark side.
Depression, moping and self-pity is definitely of the Dark side.

Last edited:
One thing I'll never understand is the desire to mock something as subjective as a film. There is this odd impulse from those unhappy with a film to linger and post mocking comments or memes. Is this an attempt to justify one's position on the subject? If it can be turned into amusing commentary (what can't be, really?), then does it somehow make it less significant/relevant? It wasn't enough to voice to your criticism? I guess I have a hard time understanding this behavior since I've never gone out of my way to mock the films I don't agree with.

One thing I'll never understand is the desire to mock something as subjective as a film. There is this odd impulse from those unhappy with a film to linger and post mocking comments or memes. Is this an attempt to justify one's position on the subject? If it can be turned into amusing commentary (what can't be, really?), then does it somehow make it less significant/relevant? It wasn't enough to voice to your criticism? I guess I have a hard time understanding this behavior since I've never gone out of my way to mock the films I don't agree with.

I'll assume this was directed at me. Not trying to "justify my position" on the film at all. Justifying myself on the internet is something I personally could care less about.

I wouldn't breathe that much into it, my memes are simply an attempt at a little levity - no more, no less.

I'll assume this was directed at me. Not trying to "justify my position" on the film at all. Justifying myself on the internet is something I personally could care less about.

I wouldn't breathe that much into it, my memes are simply an attempt at a little levity - no more, no less.

I would say your previous post certainly qualifies to what I was referring to but I certainly wasn't trying to single you out. It's not the first time I've seen the milk meme, but the last page reminded me of what I've been seeing lately regarding TLJ. Not that this is the first time I've seen those sort of posts regarding a film. I'll take your word for it that you're just messing around, but let's be honest, the quality of discussion more often than not takes a nose dive when the memes start rolling in that mock aspects of any given film.

I posted this earlier - again, I'm glad people like the move - I really am:

I'm glad people like the movie - I really am. But getting a little tired of folks on Facebook and elsewhere telling me the reason I didn't love this film is because I didn't "get it." It's getting old.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_636/lsleavo2wr5rb3zmmyyu.gif

I'll take your word for it that you're just messing around, but let's be honest, the quality of discussion more often than not takes a nose dive when the memes start rolling in that mock aspects of any given film.

What other reason is there other then "messing around?" I have zero need to defend my dislike of the film - it's not to "prove" anything to anyone. I don't subscribe to the notion that the appearance of memes beget the discussion taking a nose dive - that bias is on you. ;)

It does appear that there are a few folks who get defensive about their like/enjoyment of the film vis a vis those who didn't. Films, humor, hell, life experience itself is subjective - again, sometimes a meme is just a way of earning a chuckle.

I posted this earlier - again, I'm glad people like the move - I really am:

What other reason is there other then "messing around?" I have zero need to defend my dislike of the film - it's not to "prove" anything to anyone. I don't subscribe to the notion that the appearance of memes beget the discussion taking a nose dive - that bias is on you. ;)

It does appear that there are a few folks who get defensive about their like/enjoyment of the film vis a vis those who didn't. Films, humor, hell, life experience itself is subjective - again, sometimes a meme is just a way of earning a chuckle.

Eh, more like personal experience. I'm glad that you're merely posting such memes to lighten the mood. Can't refute that claim. Hence why I am taking your word for it. Like I said though, in my experience such posts come from a place other than good-natured levity.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back