Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Messing around tonight doing some side by side and overlays to compare the overall shape of this Falcon and I'm truly blown away! And I did not stretch or distort the images in any way to line them up. I mean if I could set up my camera at exactly the same angle as the original, I bet they would line up perfectly. Looking at the jaw box of the original, you can see that the photo was taken off center to the upper right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171221/c3259db20afe9d9cfc41fc9d211e754a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171221/eec04375f32929a10f42e872991a6f5a.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Which one is studio and which one is yours? :)

falcon_e.jpg

When I saw this in the trailer, I somehow thought that this was an "evil version" of the Falcon, just as the black BB-9E is to the BB-8; that the jaw box was so designed as an indicator to the audience that this is not the true Falcon. On top of that, I even imagined that there may be a dogfight between two Falcons.

While I watched the movie, my jaw dropped as I realized that everything I imagined was wrong.

Well, let's be honest, a lot of fans get tingly over a full-size Falcon set. Practical effects, practical effects, practical effects. There's really no reason to physically build the upper half of the Falcon set. They do it as fan service. In this case, however, there's a disconnect in their thinking. "Hey, we need to build the Falcon full-scale. Fans love that stuff," immediately followed by, "You know, we only need to make it look close enough. The fans will never notice. And those that do are just a bunch of whiny nerds."

Back to the PG. I'm a little stuck trying to find translucent plastic to replicate the milk glass ILM used for the engines. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm hoping to get a lot done on it during my time off this week.

Back to the PG. I'm a little stuck trying to find translucent plastic to replicate the milk glass ILM used for the engines. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm hoping to get a lot done on it during my time off this week.

3mm acrylic sheet (Plexiglas/Perspex) in opal. Comes in a variety of light transmission opacities - you want the highest light transmission, obviously.

3mm acrylic sheet (Plexiglas/Perspex) in opal. Comes in a variety of light transmission opacities - you want the highest light transmission, obviously.

Thanks man. I'll give it a look. The challenge seems to be finding a vendor where I don't have to buy a poster-size sheet when I only need 1" x 12".

Actually a lot of places will do custom cuts, and you can pay extra to have the plastic curved to a specific radius. Costs more, of course. But if you live in or near any reasonably sized city I'll bet there'll be somewhere that'll do it for you rather than searching online.

Thanks man. I'll give it a look. The challenge seems to be finding a vendor where I don't have to buy a poster-size sheet when I only need 1" x 12".

maybe if more people want in, buying a big sheet and cutting it up, selling it off, might be worthwhile to MANY people?!

Clear plastic like that, even painted white on one side, has kind of a different look, though.

I see that at some of the big box home improvement stores you can buy translucent sheets, but I'll have to look up close. I think to match the 5-footer, however, the plastic needs to be opaque. I could be wrong. Whatever plastic/acrylic I find, it needs to be thick enough diffuse the light sources but thin and flexible enough to bend. I'll find it somewhere.

I see that at some of the big box home improvement stores you can buy translucent sheets, but I'll have to look up close. I think to match the 5-footer, however, the plastic needs to be opaque. I could be wrong. Whatever plastic/acrylic I find, it needs to be thick enough diffuse the light sources but thin and flexible enough to bend. I'll find it somewhere.
So this is just a thought for you to consider as another option. Back in the day when I was doing Hasbro conversions I found a round translucent plastic waste paper basket at a store and cut a strip from it. I know, super garage band style, but a thought.
ff7a63b5f30333d2c3eb9251d26aeb95.jpg
62815cb61cbe0d7ac76c9416736d3bec.jpg
0aa034def93cb499996837a1643e6da2.jpg

I remember that post, Mike, and I've been on the lookout at placed like IKEA for a cheap lamp or garbage can to do the same thing. It's a great idea. I'm trying to be really picky about the surface texture. The 5-footer milk glass is pretty glossy. I want to copy that as closely as possible.

Whatever plastic/acrylic I find, it needs to be thick enough diffuse the light sources but thin and flexible enough to bend.

A workaround to using thick plastic is to simply utilize the kit's translucent plastic, which shall make the light readily diffused before it hits the "milk glass."

Another way is to use multiple layers of thin sheets, preferably with some space in between them for efficient diffusion.

I remember that post, Mike, and I've been on the lookout at placed like IKEA for a cheap lamp or garbage can to do the same thing. It's a great idea. I'm trying to be really picky about the surface texture. The 5-footer milk glass is pretty glossy. I want to copy that as closely as possible.
I figured that. The interesting thing was the outside of it was a rough surface and the inside of the can was a glossy surface.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back