Battle starship

Oh my !
katsu-san I truly wish I was your best friend and neighbor, I would never be away ! All the new skills you could teach me, you are truly a genius

I'm now designing the new mech but as I go into it it look after AMEE. That was really A great design.

Here are some sketch for that. Promise me you don't laugh!!

Oh, I'm laughing alright. just like a kid opening presents on Christmas or his birthday... I can't wait to see how you bring those excellent sketches to life.

And thanks for the pictures of your previous works. I got to enjoy seeing them all over again. Was "Tempest" your first scratchbuilt model?

Regarding #672....

Absolutely Bloody Brilliant !!! .... Katsu- san , Your good self , and , a couple of other RPFer’s I’ve had the great fortune to ‘ stumble upon ‘... here , honestly do blow my mind :eek:confused:p:$ .
I’m familiar with the 1st spacecraft ( the one that made me subscribe to your thread ! ). , the others are completely new to me . Thank you for sharing them again (?) ... Fantastic , imaginatively detailed ideas brought to life .

THANKYOU
:cheersGed

You are welcome, Ged-san. It's your turn to blow me away.

Thank-you for the trip down memory lane, Katsu-san! It was a real treat. I have been lucky that I only missed the first model, I think. It has been my great pleasure to follow you thrue your last three creations. I hope you never stop building. And you next concept looks inspiring. You decided to make something more "organic". I know it will be extraordinary! :)

You always care for me, Cadeus-san. Thank you very much.
I am thinking lately that the model building is like c climbing a mountain for me. (I'm not a climber though)
You plan and check the route, prep for the equipment and materials.
You start to climb and sometimes you may have to give up and get back to find another route.
If you reach the summit, it's the very brief moment to make you satisfy. Soon, you feel like you can't stop attempting another mountain.
The next model would be another mysterious mountain to climb for me. I hope I can reach the summit.
I hope you enjoy it with me.

I remember the Hyperion but had forgotten about all the rooms in it, not to mention the little landing ship that fits in the deck. In fact, I had forgotten a lot of details about some of these models.

Katsu-san, have you ever considered showcasing all of your models in a book-on-demand that people could purchase? It could be filled with several pages of each model being built and then a few beauty shots. I know that would be a lot of work but it might be worth considering. You've really created a collection here that deserves to be preserved and made accessible for years to come. And since internet sites can be very fickle (looking at you, Photobucket!), a physical book might be one possible answer.

Thank you very much for the kind comment.
My wife and daughters also recommend me to make that kind of book.
When I built the Hyperion, I wrote some tips and idea of build in a brief document.
That was interesting work and surely good for me to rethink about the previous build.
And if it helps somebody else build the models, maybe I should consider about it.

Oh my !
katsu-san I truly wish I was your best friend and neighbor, I would never be away ! All the new skills you could teach me, you are truly a genius

What are you saying? Ben-san, you are already one of my best friend.
Let's enjoy build with me.

Oh, I'm laughing alright. just like a kid opening presents on Christmas or his birthday... I can't wait to see how you bring those excellent sketches to life.

And thanks for the pictures of your previous works. I got to enjoy seeing them all over again. Was "Tempest" your first scratchbuilt model?

Hey, Tom-san, don't you press me.
I haven't even caught a certain image in my mind yet.:facepalm

My first scratch build model was a submarine.
US Navy Gato class in WW2.
I built it for a junior high school student festival exhibition. I was 13 years old.
2 feet long wooden model. I remember I used some chopstick for the periscope and cannon.
Finished the paint job and my friends exhibited it in the middle of my class room.
Many friends and their parents visited the festival praised me.
That is one of my good memory. Then I built a Space Battle Ship 'Yamato' in my high school day.
I was 16 years old. 1 foot long wooden model.
I chopped all the detailing parts with a piece of wooden buildingblock I snatched from my sister.
One of my friends was crazy about the TV show and I gave it to him.
None of them got left now. We had no idea to take a photo of them anyway.
Since I was chased by studying for entrance examination to go to university in my school days, I have not made anything else.

Then I was cast into the world of business.

30 years ago, I married with my wife and she bought me a model kit for my birthday.
Money was tight though I don't know why she did it.
That was an old 1/200 kit of Yamato. I think it costed about 200 dollar.
4 feet long model and it took one year to research and build.
Unfortunately, this model has been lost in a accident during my house renovation.

Here's a only picture of it. Her father took a photo for me.

yuSQwF1.jpg

mpRGwCS.jpg

And here is another kit build of 'Terminator'.
I built it for my daughter #2.

CwHAXOH.jpg

4lK1sVN.jpg

yrhtjab.jpg

1meAxcA.jpg

Maybe I should show my daughter's work here.
It's the sculpture of her original zombie.
She suddenly said to me she want to sculpt zombie.
So, I bought her a pound of Sculpy and borrow the paint.

That was more than 5 years ago.

nZlXCl4.jpg

LQLwNBa.jpg

ZY8ol0M.jpg

nBIGcfP.jpg

TmIYgCh.jpg

tLkjxis.jpg

5KVaqHf.jpg

I don't remember if i did show my official first full scratch model in this forum but here it is.
It's the SPV (Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle) in Captain Scarlet and the Mistelon.
I guess it's not so well known in US but many of us at my age love this British TV show.
So this is not the original model but I love this vehicle.

This is the actual shooting model.

WghVaJW.jpg

I used a balsa wood for basic shaping.

T5GlqTt.jpg

04bR48e.jpg

Then I covered with a can of car filler all over and sand it, fill it, sand it, fill it....

LhHMGh1.jpg

I needed a idea to make deep and thick panel lines on a body.
After the first primer, I put the thin masking tape on the body for making a panel line.
Then I sprayed primer several times and when it's dried, I peeled the tapes.
This worked fine.

9DnTAGJ.jpg

xWAAC1Z.jpg

OKG7EDo.jpg

mFWzzF0.jpg

Ez3k3vP.jpg

Wheels and tracks.

To make a wide tires, I combined a couple of narrow tires with a black silicone filler.

fR3IQIp.jpg

WEeAeSK.jpg

Sanded and grooved a tread pattern with a hack saw..

mFqDeNt.jpg

nFUBbR1.jpg

c44xi3G.jpg

Caps.

I did a vacuum forming for them.

Bngbi7V.jpg

64ecrWN.jpg

64ecrWN.jpg

86UxJ9F.jpg

FuSO00q.jpg

wZcQrzx.jpg

5VxZksS.jpg

EXqxgMQ.jpg

xiGYsBJ.jpg

Rear track wheels

voxiuLJ.jpg

zr6z3pe.jpg

zGiVVEW.jpg

aYSYAxP.jpg

xJb4Ece.jpg

I used Tamiya's track set.

P3je49Z.jpg

B69qdgY.jpg

Paper clips and rods and some kitchen sponges

BfRLE39.jpg

WY7nSru.jpg

lMQ3NFp.jpg

kgd49QH.jpg

uwvFGL1.jpg

efyI2Pi.jpg

3NBxBJp.jpg

MZFwksr.jpg

WpjYJgD.jpg

fPsipuH.jpg

X4z4o2r.jpg

MZFwksr.jpg

94NtEhM.jpg

efyI2Pi.jpg

X4z4o2r.jpg

7xQr3Xl.jpg

U4YpcSM.jpg

Here's a correspondence with Mr. Martin Bower who made this actual model in the TV show.
Later I knew that he was one of the lead modeler of Alien ('78)

Hello Katsuhiko,

ALL the vehicles from the Century 21 models were painted in spray painted CAR colours. You cannot obtain these colours as brush-on paints.

“ZIRCON BLUE” is indeed the original colour, but I cannot tell you how it is mixed, except to say it is a blue & silver mix.. I have attached photos of my 1/18th studio scale model built in 1991 for the Captain Scarlet comics. I hope these help you, but you can see how the colour appears to change depending on how the model is lit.

I am sorry I cannot help you further, but it is illegal to send paints through the post.

Sincerely
MARTIN BOWER

Sent: 03 April 2007 03:37
To: martinbower@bowerhousemodels.fsnet.co.uk
Subject: Please advice 'SPV paint colour'

Dear Mr. Martin Bower

Please allow me my rudeness to send this sudden mail to you.

I am now building a 1/24 SPV by full scratch build and the work is almost

done. Before paint the vehicle, I have checked many photo and video to

determain the colour. But all looks diffrent after through the camera lens.

I have tried several mixture but it does not make sense so far.

One very kind person I met at the internet site of Starship Builder

suggested me to contact you.

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580

I have read your articles of that great works of SPV in which you stated that you used car spray of 'Zilcon Blue', but It is hard to obtain at any

paint shop here in Japan .

I'm afraid but if I can ask you about the mixture of that colour, It would be

highly appreciated. I'm using a Tamiya paint for my present work.

If you feel inappropriate to answerto my inquiry, please don't be bothered

to mail me back.

With all my respects,

Katsuhiko Fujihira

teLHmCy.jpg

DCr6vM1.jpg

dAH8FiE.jpg

Hello Katsuhiko,

Thank you once again for your kind words on my work. The original colour of
the SPV seems to change depending on the light you shine on it. I am pleased
the photos of the model I built for the Captain Scarlet Comic helped you. It
is now owned by another collector in Japan!

With very best wishes
MARTIN BOWER

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 14 April 2007 23:48
To: martinbower@bowerhousemodels.fsnet.co.uk
Subject: Re: SPV colour Thank you very much.

Dear Mr. Martin Bower

Thanks to your advice and photos, I finally had a good colour that I am
satisfied. The model is almost finished now.

Here in Japan, there are many big fans of your works too.
Please take good care of your health.

Thank yo very much again and best regards,

Katsuhiko Fujihira.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took 5 months to be finished this small 1 feet model.
That was a early Spring of 2007.
That's it.

Tom-san, I didn't want to tell you my biography.
That was some boring but thank you very much for being my friend.

katsuhiko

B69qdgY.jpg

BfRLE39.jpg

WY7nSru.jpg

lMQ3NFp.jpg

kgd49QH.jpg

uwvFGL1.jpg

efyI2Pi.jpg

3NBxBJp.jpg

MZFwksr.jpg

WpjYJgD.jpg

fPsipuH.jpg

X4z4o2r.jpg

MZFwksr.jpg

94NtEhM.jpg

efyI2Pi.jpg

X4z4o2r.jpg

7xQr3Xl.jpg

U4YpcSM.jpg

teLHmCy.jpg

DCr6vM1.jpg

dAH8FiE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am not mistaken, the paint would have been a high gloss black primer, then a silver metallic color on top of that. And finally, a candy blue of the color he said sprayed on top of the metallic. The candy would be translucent and provide the effect he spoke of where the color seems to change shade depending on the light and angle. Just a guess, based on some research I have done for my own models. Your work is amazing, Katsu-san! You honor us. :)

"Boring" is pretty much the last word I would choose to describe those photos... Well done on recreating the SPV! I can see how the suspension system is an early version of the one on the Taiowa.

And a 4 foot Yamato? Opening that box must have been an intimidating experience... (At least, for most people it would be.)

Seeing you repost your daughters zombie sculpture from 5 years ago makes me feel bad as I realize now I have been voraciously devouring all the amazing deatails for these long years and never posted to add my voice to the chorus. Honto ni, monosugoi desu yo. Your work is like classical music, a symphony of details, woven layer upon layer, just when you don’t think a piece can take anymore detail, a whole new melody starts.

So apologies for taking so long to say “Hi” and OMG OMG OMG.

"Boring" is pretty much the last word I would choose to describe those photos... Well done on recreating the SPV! I can see how the suspension system is an early version of the one on the Taiowa.

And a 4 foot Yamato? Opening that box must have been an intimidating experience... (At least, for most people it would be.)

Thanks, Tom-san.

That was very impressive model.
Recently, I tried to buy that kit but the model company went bankrupt and the market price of the same model was raised to $1000.:eek:cry

Seeing you repost your daughters zombie sculpture from 5 years ago makes me feel bad as I realize now I have been voraciously devouring all the amazing deatails for these long years and never posted to add my voice to the chorus. Honto ni, monosugoi desu yo. Your work is like classical music, a symphony of details, woven layer upon layer, just when you don’t think a piece can take anymore detail, a whole new melody starts.

So apologies for taking so long to say “Hi” and OMG OMG OMG.

Thank you very much for your so very kind words to my works. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu. Totemo ureshiidesu.
I'm so happy to share my model building with you.

We had a very large and strong typhoon last week and it struck our vicinity directly.
It damaged the roof of my work shack badly.
The mending material has been delivered this morning so I'm going to climb up the ladder and fix it.

Please pray for me not to fall down...:D

Sorry to hear about your predicament Katsu-san . Hoping you and your family , friends and neighbors are safe and sound . Of course Prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery are sent to all .
I take it by your last comment , that you’re planning to repair the damage to your work ‘ shack ‘ / shed / shop.... by yourself !?... Good Luck & please stay safe , if so .:facepalm

Ged:thumbsup

Sorry to hear about your predicament Katsu-san . Hoping you and your family , friends and neighbors are safe and sound . Of course Prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery are sent to all .
I take it by your last comment , that you’re planning to repair the damage to your work ‘ shack ‘ / shed / shop.... by yourself !?... Good Luck & please stay safe , if so .:facepalm

Ged:thumbsup

Thank you very much, Ged-san!!

That SPV is amazing!

Good luck on the work shed repairs

I saw Japan was hit by a big storm and was wondering about you. Glad you are ok and hope the repairs work out.

Thank you very much for your kind care for me.

Today, I have finished the repair of the roof.
It took 4 hours to be done.
My wife checked my life insurance policy again and said 'Go ahead work on it! '
Only twice I was about to fall but I'm OK.

8BggqVh.jpg

Thank you very much!!

Looking good Katsu-San . LOL!!! Your comments about insurance reminded me of my own situation . Took out Private Family Health and Life insurance when my ex was pregnant with our first child . That’s when life REALLY changes eh !? ...

Glad you’ve repaired what needed to be , and walked away unscathed ;)

Looking good Katsu-San . LOL!!! Your comments about insurance reminded me of my own situation . Took out Private Family Health and Life insurance when my ex was pregnant with our first child . That’s when life REALLY changes eh !? ...

Glad you’ve repaired what needed to be , and walked away unscathed ;)

Right!!

Glad you're OK. (Even if it does mean your wife won't be able to get that new car.)

Oh, that's what she really intended? Yeah, our car is 12 year old already but...
....No way, I really felt her love for me!

Last edited:
Hey there ! Hope all is well......

I haven't been on here in a while but I wanted to jump on and check your progress on the battleship. Looking great !

I've been busy with multiple random projects:

6 sets of custom built and painted / airbrushed corn hole boards:

Here is my personal set. (First try at airbrushing on flat surfaces)

20170708_125101.jpg

20170619_195723_001.jpg

Here is the latest one for a friend:

20171003_065810[1].jpg

Here's a flag I painted for a friend (Retired Marine) he made from tobacco sticks:

20171014_142009[1].jpg

On the work bench:

Boba Fett jet pack, gauntlets ,helmet, & EE3 Blaster for my wife's work Christmas party (themed). I will be going as "Night on the Town" Boba. I don't have time to build the entire costume, so I will be wearing a suit and tie with the Boba Fett accessories listed above.

20171027_202501[1].jpg

As always, great seeing your fantastic work and equally fantastic meals !!!

Take care and I'll be keeping an eye out for the completion of this beauty.

Pcoz

Hey there ! Hope all is well......

I haven't been on here in a while but I wanted to jump on and check your progress on the battleship. Looking great !

I've been busy with multiple random projects:

6 sets of custom built and painted / airbrushed corn hole boards:

Here is my personal set. (First try at airbrushing on flat surfaces)

Boba Fett jet pack, gauntlets ,helmet, & EE3 Blaster for my wife's work Christmas party (themed). I will be going as "Night on the Town" Boba. I don't have time to build the entire costume, so I will be wearing a suit and tie with the Boba Fett accessories listed above.

As always, great seeing your fantastic work and equally fantastic meals !!!

Take care and I'll be keeping an eye out for the completion of this beauty.

Pcoz

Wooow!! What a fantastic works of art!
Your work is very professional. I love your sense of coloring.
And I can't wait to see the finished Jet pack.
Thank you very much for sharing those photo of your great works.
It's very inspiring.

I'm SPEACHLESS! Just beyond imagination!

Thank you very much! vismus-san.

I had a little busy days last week.
Repair the roof, cleaned up the small pool and polished up the front porch.
Yesterday I cleaned up the bathroom and kitchen.
Also, my beloved wife asked me to make a bread case.

Hey, I'm a modeler, that kind of work is a piece of cake(?) walking the park ? milk run ? whatever)

o4Ogx23.jpg

Thus, I won a deeper wife's love. (for free)

Well, I go back to the bench and I will post the progress soon. (Nothing easy)

Thank you very much !!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back