For those following this thread and have built their own HIC, is the puckering on the glue typical or is that a sign that something's not quite right?

The glue is drying transparent?! I’ve never knew there was wood glue that would do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those following this thread and have built their own HIC, is the puckering on the glue typical or is that a sign that something's not quite right?

I am pretty sure the ripples are from the heater I had blowing on the fglue as it dries. I sanded them down befor I put on the next coat. It seems to be working pretty well. The only real concern is the drying time.

74DE6652-7779-43BF-8D5B-DC0E6699696F.jpeg7E2D9DD3-8C91-49C1-89C9-A275BD60EC08.jpeg528AF51D-AEB5-4D9E-90BA-CA01757289D2.jpeg9120FDFF-D0F8-4B0D-8A30-33CDB320E014.jpeg
This is is the drying process of the second coat over the last few days. It’s completly solid right now but will be clear when it’s totally dry.

Last edited:
I cut sheets of metal and glued them in the recessed panels. No need to cut them out from the panels.
great build!!

How did did you paint the recessed parts of the panels? Did you hand paint it or spray and tape everything? I’m thinking of cutting it out and gluing in some actual sheet metal.

- - - Updated - - -

I have more pics and video of the gluing I’ll add soon. I waited for each layer to dry, sanded it down a bit, and added the next layer.

These are are a series of videos of the “Carbonite “ layering for the final effect. It took a long time for the main glue to dry so I had to wait.

Anyway i just spread the glue at different depths and then manipulated it around with a piece of card board. I’m now waiting for this to dry. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
His should be the third and final coat of the glue to create the carbonite effect. As long as it looks good tomorrow I think I will be onto sanding and painting han.

I also replaced aced the panel openings on the sides and filled the gaps so it looks more seem less when the panels are put back in.
D87E118C-F534-44A6-A418-0062C87C62C5.jpeg2D40D9EB-FBF6-4410-870A-8BB0F1BDBF69.jpegD38BE454-631A-4A9B-B616-B3896D698DAD.jpeg27B65D01-A52E-4156-868C-C00C9944464E.jpeg

looking good, you sand the glue as well?

Yes. I have sanded the glue in between each layer. I didn’t want 2 full coatings but the glue really settled down and left a thick edge on the box. I didn’t like it so I did another layer. I’ve done 3 separate effect layers and let them dry. I think it’s about ready for sanding and final panting. Then I’ll hang it while I finish the panels.

Have you thought to pour and leave the glue out in an open bowl for a while and let it thicken up before applying? You might get more control over the texture and less spreading.

The glue sets up with the top hardening first and then working it’s way down. So unfortunately it would create a hard lumpy cost on the top that would make it difficult to spread at all. I wish I would have used some of the accelerator to make the glue harden faster. But i have been busy with work anyway so the dry time didn’t hold much up.

Its all dry dry as of today. So I’m going to try and get this thing sanded and painted by tomorrow!!! Then hang him up. I can work on the panels while he overlooks my theater room:)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back