Modding a Kylo Ren Saber Toy to TLJ Ben Solo Prop

The14thDr

Sr Member
I picked one of these up for £7.50 today. Should be perfect for modding into Ben Solo’s lightsaber.
82efabf17761a11d981ea7860dd7d268.jpg

At the moment, the reference material we have is pretty limited - but I reckon I can turn this into a decent replica.

After removing the blades, I began to remove the crossguard emitters with a hacksaw and plenty of sanding.
d0afe485e2176e308331c6e4d3e79ac3.jpg

7c8cda26270befd4b88dc08a850e6122.jpg

Finally for today, I sanded and filed the red wire off completely before filling in all the holes with some air-drying clay.
a7ea988289f7cc45ef5e6f23af5ece8e.jpg

3412b8686de19e925ab578646cbee1a6.jpg

That’s all for now! Next up is prepping the lightsaber for painting.

How close are the dimensions on these sabers? I don't have a Kylo hilt yet, and it's tempting to pick a couple of these up to practice painting on if they're in the ballpark.

halliwax: Thank you! I’ve customised/repainted a couple of toys in the past (including another Kylo Ren saber to make it more accurate to the TLJ prop) so hopefully this shouldn’t turn out too badly. ;) I’m hoping to finish this particular prop by the end of the weekend.

How has no one thought of this yet?
Honestly, I’m surprised too! The BladeBuilders toy is surprisingly accurate, so to me it makes perfect sense to use as a cheap base for a customisation such as this.

How close are the dimensions on these sabers? I don't have a Kylo hilt yet, and it's tempting to pick a couple of these up to practice painting on if they're in the ballpark.
As Far as I can tell, they’re pretty close
Some parts (such as the emitter, crossguards, etc.) are thicker than the original prop, but overall I’d say this is pretty accurate - especially compared to some of the other BladeBuilders lightsabers.
I would definitely recommend you using these for customisation; here’s one I did a couple of weeks ago:
9fefeffea39a8411597c333c6fb5b533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As Far as I can tell, they’re pretty close

Some parts (such as the emitter, crossguards, etc.) are thicker than the original prop, but overall I’d say this is pretty accurate - especially compared to some of the other BladeBuilders lightsabers.
I would definitely recommend you using these for customisation; here’s one I did a couple of weeks ago:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180126/9fefeffea39a8411597c333c6fb5b533.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, that looks great, guess I'll have to go pick one up soon! I can use it to justify buying the airbrush I've had my eye on hah.

This was by far the most tedious part of the build. I spent hours sanding the entire surface of the lightsaber to remove as much of the paint and plastic sheen as I could.

Finally, however, it was ready to paint.
53fc7436b0d5bd5590395e0e1d85c02d.jpg

At first I couldn’t make my mind up whether to use spray paint or acrylic paint on this, but in the end I decided that the spray paint I have is much shinier than what we saw in the film (which almost looks like a “flat” grey to me.)

Two coats of silver acrylic paint later and I’d say this is done for now! Once the Blu-Ray is released and we can get some clearer images, there will undoubtedly be some upgrades to make, but at the minute I’m happy with how this turned out.
27b2ab0bf78aada57d9fd5f88ab6ef8d.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back