Comic book Cable

Brien

I haven't done a build in a long time but this year I decided to try to do a comic book Cable. All I need is huge shoulder pads, dozens of pouches and a metal arm.

The Arm will have to wait until I get the time to do a duct tape mannequin to help me build it. I can make pouches though.

I decided to do a version of Cable with a lot of leather pouches, straps and shoulders. I cannot buy that much leather for a costume without getting a divorce so I am using foam.

I started with the belt pouches. Here's the basic shape with some guides for the stitching.
IMG_2011.JPG

I then learned to saddle stitch to make it look like leather stitched together. These are early ones. As I moved through them, I got my stitching in order. I also added texture to make the foam look more like leather using aluminum foil.
IMG_2014.JPG

A little glue and you suddenly have a pile of pouches.

IMG_2015.JPG

Finally, a little dry brushing and a painted googly eye and the pouches are good to go. I will seals them to keep the paint in place but I think they look pretty good.
IMG_2018.JPG

I will need to make about 6-8 more for thigh straps. They will be thinner to make them let obtrusive when I walk.

A dimensional doorway opened near my desk and sucked my blunt stitching needles into the ether so I was stuck. I decided to knock out the grenades for the shoulder pads.

Scored some casings from practice 40mm grenades at work. Decided to top them with 1" PVC caps from Lowe Depot. I had to sand the tops and they aren't perfectly smooth but they will work. I also cut some 1" PVC to use in the caps to help stabilize the tops in the casings. Ignore the giant finger.
IMG_2021.JPG

Painted the casings OD green and hit the caps with gold paint with a clear matte varnish over it. Knocked down the shine a bit.
IMG_2022.JPG

I little hot glue and everything is together. Not sure how big my shoulders will end up being but you can never have enough grenades, am I right?
IMG_2024.JPG

The shape isn't super accurate but they will look good sitting on the shoulder pads. I will probably get annoyed at the inaccurate shape soon and redo them but for now they look cool.

I haven't done a build in a long time but this year I decided to try to do a comic book Cable. All I need is huge shoulder pads, dozens of pouches and a metal arm.

The Arm will have to wait until I get the time to do a duct tape mannequin to help me build it. I can make pouches though.

I decided to do a version of Cable with a lot of leather pouches, straps and shoulders. I cannot buy that much leather for a costume without getting a divorce so I am using foam.

I started with the belt pouches. Here's the basic shape with some guides for the stitching.
View attachment 762208

I then learned to saddle stitch to make it look like leather stitched together. These are early ones. As I moved through them, I got my stitching in order. I also added texture to make the foam look more like leather using aluminum foil.
View attachment 762209

A little glue and you suddenly have a pile of pouches.

View attachment 762210

Finally, a little dry brushing and a painted googly eye and the pouches are good to go. I will seals them to keep the paint in place but I think they look pretty good.
View attachment 762211

I will need to make about 6-8 more for thigh straps. They will be thinner to make them let obtrusive when I walk.

Mate these look amazing!!!

Not as much progress as I wanted but there has been a little. I'm pulling inspiration from multiple versions of Cable. Here's a couple.

These will be the shoulder pads.
70d5e247d044ce01a381d40e7caf631c (1).jpg

I used the kneepads from here.
a161e85a6038eb86fc6e5d294a005542.jpg
Kneepads .jpg

Since I'm not jacked like Cable, I decided to make a plated tactical vest. The cloth one did not survive the dyeing process so I had to go for a foam setup. I used the same vest pattern. The sides will be strapped with "leather" straps and the top will be covered by the massive shoulder pads. The belt and pouches will also be attached. The belt buckle needs work but it's a start.

Armored vest.jpg

Finally, a buddy printed me a X-Men badge to incorporate. Not sure where yet but probably on the shoulders with all the grenades.

So many Grenades.

Attachments

• Armored vest.jpg
    Armored vest.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 287
A little more progress. Work doesn't seem to understand I have a life.
Chest piece.jpg

I think the chest piece is a little small on my frame but with the enormous shoulder pads and a belt around the bottom, I should be good.
With luck I can start on the arm this weekend.

I forgot to post this. I didn't like the squared off grenades so I took half of some easter eggs and rounded off the tops. 40mm grenades are ridged in a similar way so they are a little closer to accurate.
Grenades.jpg

I still have about 20 of the empty casings for these. I should see how many grenades I can stick to my armor.

Working on the shoulders.
Shoulder in progress.jpg

Not as clean as I would like but I am running out of time.
Shoulders.jpg

Still need to work on the arm or the whole thing falls apart.

Shoulders have come together. Not sure on the bullets but I had them lying around from a failed Red Sun Deathstroke project so I gave them a try.
Grenade Shoulder.jpgBullet shoulder.jpg

It's looking great man! I think the bullets look good, and those grenades turned out really nice with the shoulders. I know what you mean with the time though, I've been rushing to get my Iron Fist cosplay done myself.

It's looking great man! I think the bullets look good, and those grenades turned out really nice with the shoulders. I know what you mean with the time though, I've been rushing to get my Iron Fist cosplay done myself.

Thanks for the kind words. I wanted more grenades on there but they are heavier than I had planned. I will sprinkle them in with pouches throughout the costume.

Finally got the duct tap mannequin (top only) done. it's going to a mad dash to get the arm completed.

Finally got to work on the arm for Cable. I got a cheap compression shirt from Amazon ($5.99) and some backer rod. I tried contact cement at first but it was a pain in the arse. Decided to go with hot glue.
Arm 2.jpg

It's really difficult to draw the muscle groups on while wearing the shirt and the duct tape mannequin is not well put together. It worked for my purposes though.

Arm1.jpg

It looked pretty good. It's still reasonably flexible. Today, work willing, I should be able to get some plastidip on the arm and armor. Going to try the silver metalizer for the arm. Then it's just a matter of putting everything together. Definitely spent way too much money on this considering I'm not really going anywhere. I will save it for DC's Awesome Con in the spring. Maybe get my daughter to dress up with me.

This whole build is awesome! But the arm , man I love the look, the idea and, the execution. Thanks for posting!
I can see contact cement being a pain and time consuming though.

The Arm.

A few layers of gun metal plastidip, a few layers of silver metalizer. I just need gloves to cover the hands and some silver paint to touch up some blue areas. The Arm.jpg

Pretty good progress today. This pic was taken pretty early but I am adding grenades to the belt, I have the thigh pouches built for one side and decided I needed a holster with hand cannon. I will get some pics of that later. Right now there's beer daring me to drink it.

Armor.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back