Disney's Beauty and the Beast

TJackFx

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My wife has always wanted to be a Disney princess so with the 25th anniversary and upcoming live action movie, I decided it would be a great time to tackle my favorite - Beauty and the Beast :) Now I know it's not 100% accurate to the park version, but this is my take on it, hope you enjoy!

In keeping with my previous builds, the goal was to keep the costs as low as possible and utilize as many materials as I could that were already on hand.

I started with making a simple frame attached to a hiking back pack to get the overall shape and slapped a few fans into it to keep me cool. This was then skinned with a thin layer of closed cell foam to build off of.

IMG_2176.JPGIMG_2182.JPG

I had a set of mascot feet to use as a base so I added some toes and did a quick sculpt/mold of a claw that would be used for the feet and hands and cast them in Flex Foam X. Having to shave the fun fur to make the hands/fingers more visible was easily my least favorite part of this build - let's just say that the clippers did not enjoy the experience, lol.

IMG_2206.JPGIMG_2207.JPGIMG_2245.JPG

Created a tail to attach to the back and had a set of horns modeled up and printed. Made a mold of them and cast in 65D back filled with foam - nice and lightweight. Also did a quick nose sculpt and cast it in Flex Foam X as well. Managed to find a brooch at Goodwill that required a quick spray of silver paint and I made a simple blue gem for the centre of it.

IMG_2260.JPGIMG_2292.JPGIMG_2281.JPGIMG_2309.JPG

And the final outcome :) He stands about 7'4" at the top of his head. Wore it last weekend to the local con here in Edmonton and was mobbed all day long for pictures. I don't possess the skills to make her gown so I commissioned a local seamstress to make my wife's dress. Over 35 yards in that thing!

ed expo2.jpged expo.jpged expo3.jpg

And because we love to do family costumes, my wife picked up a Lumiere costume for our youngest and I whipped together a quick Chip costume out of a flower pot and some Dollar store supplies (bowl for the base and some gold cord for trim) for my oldest - he has plans for a different Halloween costume so I didn't want to spend a ton of time or $$ on that one.

family.jpgIMG_2290.JPGIMG_2298.JPG

Love to hear your comments/feedback :)

Attachments

• IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    869.9 KB · Views: 141
Awesome work! I really like that you got the whole family in on it too!

How was the visibility from inside the beast? And how did the cooling system work out for you?

Thanks everyone :)

How was the visibility from inside the beast? And how did the cooling system work out for you?

Visibility was much better than people thought. Essentially all along his jaw and under his chin was mesh covered with long fur. Although people weren't able to see it, the viewing area was fairly big. And the cooling system works great. It's the same way I did my Sulley a few years back. Nice and simple and gets you about 3 hrs of cool time before a battery change :)

I saw you guys at the Edmonton Expo, you guys were great. It was at the moment when probably the millionth person came and asked to take your picture and your youngest son screamed"noooo", It made me laugh so hard. I guess he had enough of people wanting to take your pictures. I loved it.

I saw you guys at the Edmonton Expo, you guys were great. It was at the moment when probably the millionth person came and asked to take your picture and your youngest son screamed"noooo", It made me laugh so hard. I guess he had enough of people wanting to take your pictures. I loved it.

He was so excited to go to the convention this year he actually wanted to wear his costume to bed the night before, lol.

He's autistic and the crowds/noise started to overwhelm him a bit but he did manage to hang out for just over 3 hours so we were extremely proud of him :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back