The Last Jedi Graflex Research - Spoilers inside!

Eh - I'm not buying it. Everything above the grips looks computer altered to me.

Yeah. The burns and scarring on the clamp look like a bump map to me. The post in front of the lever looks like it has very typical CG shading. This is not the most convincing CGI in the movie.

The lever is definitely floating. The pin doesn't go through it at all.

busted flex.jpg

The lines on the circuit board (sorry, I forget the technical name - traces?) are floating above the card too. Look all the way at the right side.

Yes, they are called traces. And they are where they are supposed to be. It looks like the bins holding the color map values for the card itself in that region were rendered ‘no fill’ (i.e. transparent). So that whatever was behind them shows through. The traces look like they are floating because the material they are attached to was rendered invisible. That is a classic 3-D CAT scan X-ray processing trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What I would like to know is. Are they showing that the saber has two focusing crystals? Or did the Kyber crystal break in two?

What I would like to know is. Are they showing that the saber has two focusing crystals? Or did the Kyber crystal break in two?

Im guessing two crystals... I know it was legends but many sabers have been depicted with two since at least the first visual dictionary, including this very saber.

So I'm been wondering. If a different prop company made the props for TLJ. What happened to the TFA Graflexs? Did the prop company that made them, keep them? Or does everything end up in the Lucasfilm archives?

>no ears
>flat grips
>flat control box

This thing might be less convincing than the first Graflex stunt from ANH. That's quite the accomplishment.
I love that you mentioned this, it was in my head too

I guess I can't fault them for no bunny ears, since that was an OT thing.

The grips though... that perfect pill shaped pattern between them is not fooling anyone.That looks nothing like T track strips.

So I'm been wondering. If a different prop company made the props for TLJ. What happened to the TFA Graflexs? Did the prop company that made them, keep them? Or does everything end up in the Lucasfilm archives?

I’d love to know this as well...

I think TFA graflex is the one Luke hands rey. I also think it’s the same one she pulls out of her back pack before she cuts the rock

Every other graflex we see (hero) is much shiner, and the grips look softer, like rubbery-er.. you can see where they are riveted in they are distorted

This is just my personal belief

They used both, but they used the newer graflex’s more..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be flutes milled into a tube... the spaces between the "grips" I mean. On the Stunt.

Also, as far as the heros go, I'd say they definitely used the rubber grips that we replicators have been using for years on end. It seems obvious in those closer up shots of the hand-off.

Also pay attention to the glass eye, TFA glass eye is much larger with very just the knurling removed , the TLJ glass eye as A LOT of material removed

At first I loved how TLJ had so many dedicated close-ups of the Graflex. Now that it seems they used a different in every ding dang shot and made no effort to obscure the stunt sabers the hate is super flowing through me.

I’d love to know this as well...

I think TFA graflex is the one Luke hands rey. I also think it’s the same one she pulls out of her back pack before she cuts the rock

Every other graflex we see (hero) is much shiner, and the grips look softer, like rubbery-er.. you can see where they are riveted in they are distorted

This is just my personal belief

They used both, but they used the newer graflex’s more..

So that would mean that the saber with tape on the bottom is from TFA?

Is that (a screenshot of the actual image) the only picture around?

Tried to reverse image search it but didn't get any results. Would like the actual picture :p

Okay, I'm going to ask this question. Where did the idea originate that they used a plate to cover the bottom of the Graflex? Maybe they used chrome tape from the very get-go?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back