Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

Further to the above... here is an example of the original caps with almost NO green OR violet visible, supporting the theory that these "extra" two colors are just a result of blending:

https://i.imgur.com/u98zHc6.jpg

And yet, in this shot, almost the entire square of one front panel is violet (makes it look like it's another color, not just blending of the purple and cyan):

https://i.imgur.com/tac0Qn4.jpg

Am I overthinking all this?
I do not believe the violet is a base color. I think it is a result of lenticular action.

I believe the base colors of the lenticular are yellow, pink, and blue.

The colors caused by lenticular action are....

yellow+pink = a very light orange/salmon color
pink+blue = purple/violet
blue+yellow = green

I think this last combo, the base blue and mixed green are possibly causing people to see cyan or turquoise as I once did.

You can see my preliminary study here..... The numbered hats are referring to a picture someone posted and can be ignored.
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144604&page=3&p=4025762&viewfull=1#post4025762

The reason the panel in the pic you posted is exhibiting almost total violet is because it is relatively flat. DS hats do the same thing on the brim where it is the flattest. Present a large uninterrupted area of color.

mGPgsFzKLI317Omv24AB1_w.jpg

This also proves the DS lenticular does not have a color bunching or concentration problem, imo. It is simply the construction of the hat that makes the colors very random over a small area due to the material bunching and puckering due to making it like a traditional baseball cap with triangle panels, instead of the square panels with points at the top.

Something to consider also. The hoverboard honeycomb is a Sommers product so they were probably the original supplier for the hat lenticular. And since the Lantor is the same color, I believe that is now the closest source to the screen used lenticular. At least for color matching, since it is too thick to make a hat from.

The Lantor is linked here. They specify yellow, pink, and blue.

https://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

I do not believe the violet is a base color. I think it is a result of lenticular action.

I believe the base colors of the lenticular are yellow, pink, and blue.

The colors caused by lenticular action are....

yellow+pink = a very light orange/salmon color
pink+blue = purple/violet
blue+yellow = green

I think this last combo, the base blue and mixed green are possibly causing people to see cyan or turquoise as I once did.

You can see my preliminary study here..... The numbered hats are referring to a picture someone posted and can be ignored.
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144604&page=3&p=4025762&viewfull=1#post4025762

The reason the panel in the pic you posted is exhibiting almost total violet is because it is relatively flat. DS hats do the same thing on the brim where it is the flattest. Present a large uninterrupted area of color.

View attachment 805737

This also proves the DS lenticular does not have a color bunching or concentration problem, imo. It is simply the construction of the hat that makes the colors very random over a small area due to the material bunching and puckering due to making it like a traditional baseball cap with triangle panels, instead of the square panels with points at the top.

Something to consider also. The hoverboard honeycomb is a Sommers product so they were probably the original supplier for the hat lenticular. And since the Lantor is the same color, I believe that is now the closest source to the screen used lenticular. At least for color matching, since it is too thick to make a hat from.

The Lantor is linked here. They specify yellow, pink, and blue.

https://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

I agree with this. Perhaps contacting the company to make more plyable material could yield good results.

So, from the various comments it sounds like we should be ok to proceed with this sample fabric. Comparing colors to the "primary" colors of the original hat, seems to be a pretty good match:

WqJoeD1.jpg

So, from the various comments it sounds like we should be ok to proceed with this sample fabric. Comparing colors to the "primary" colors of the original hat, seems to be a pretty good match:

https://i.imgur.com/WqJoeD1.jpg

Yes. At this point it is the only wise option. Otherwise we will be babbling on forever. As long as the shape is right the hat should look great.

https://i.imgur.com/WqJoeD1.jpg

Sorry, just now seeing this. Would have weighed in earlier. Yes I think the sample fabric looks fine. It does look CLOSE to the fabric they were already using that was the same as the DS hat, but not being able to see them in person it's hard to say if they're identical or not.

There SEEMS to be a key difference in the sample fabric from the DS hat fabric: it looks a bit less intense/saturated than the Diamond Select fabric, which is good! Especially look at the magenta, and how intense/saturated the DS hat is. The screen-used hats weren't so intense, so I think this sample fabric is definitely more accurate. So I'm really hopeful that we'll have a hat that has both a better shape AND a better color match.

It's close enough as-is to get my money for sure!

Last edited:

Sorry, just now seeing this. Would have weighed in earlier. Yes I think the sample fabric looks fine. It does look CLOSE to the fabric they were already using that was the same as the DS hat, but not being able to see them in person it's hard to say if they're identical or not.

There SEEMS to be a key difference in the sample fabric from the DS hat fabric: it looks a bit less intense/saturated than the Diamond Select fabric, which is good! Especially look at the magenta, and how intense/saturated the DS hat is. The screen-used hats weren't so intense, so I think this sample fabric is definitely more accurate. So I'm really hopeful that we'll have a hat that has both a better shape AND a better color match.

It's close enough as-is to get my money for sure!

When you say screen used hat, do you mean what you see on screen or a screen-used hat you saw in real life or a photo?

I ask because IIRC the movie was color adjusted and the color muted a bit.

When you say screen used hat, do you mean what you see on screen or a screen-used hat you saw in real life or a photo?

I ask because IIRC the movie was color adjusted and the color muted a bit.

That's a good point. Honestly I think either way the DS material looks too saturated, whether you're looking at a screen-cap OR that behind-the-scenes photo of MJF with the three stunt men above. All four guys' hats still look more muted in color than the DS material, and maybe only slightly more vibrant than in screen caps.

This was at the 2011 NIKE MAG auction and displayed as a screen used hat. Interesting as it shows green in it. Thoughts?...
6135518997_0e6a6d095a_o.jpg

This was at the 2011 NIKE MAG auction and displayed as a screen used hat. Interesting as it shows green in it. Thoughts?...

See post #230 on the previous page. Some angles, and in some lighting, reveal a green color. Most angles and photos, though, like the photos in that post, show none. See also post #53 on p. 3, where the hat shows no green in most angles, but green in one particular shot when the light strikes it just right. See also the behind-the-scenes photo in post #125 on p. 5 (last photo in the post of Marty Jr.). Again, no green.

So at this point, it would seem the hat rarely appears with a green color, but green can indeed appear if the lighting and/or angle is just right. Since it is in the minority of shots, it would appear that the green is not one of the primary colors of the hat, but instead appears a result of the cyan and yellow mixing.

Last edited:

Well if this is a screen used hat, Indy, the stitching should be greenish blue to be accurate.

Well if this is a screen used hat, Indy, the stitching should be greenish blue to be accurate.

Jedifyfed! :D

Can anyone confirm the stitching color used on the original?

Actually, when you Jedifyfe Jedifyfe is it a Royal Jedifyfe? :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back