GS/CFO ROTJ Darth Vader helmet in full blast detail!

Kermit facemask has the C scar

10919058_832031543528526_2823107022215597413_n.jpg

Congrats for your helmet !

Wow, this ROTJ helmet is awesome!!!! Thanks for posting! In my own experience ILM had a lot of Plastikote cans around to refurbish some Vader helmets. And there are a few gunmetal type colors in there. What I did was go to the car store and sit there with a gloss black object and just match can lids til a couple of them looked good and bought 3 to test before choosing one.

Obvioiusly not sourcing the exact color this way but I think I got it right. The codes change all the time it seems.

And cool to see what they have.

But BEAUTIFUL piece!!!!!!!!!

From what detail are you speeking?Could you mark it on a pic?
The TM is not the best mask to compare the tubes.They are molded back from an artist before casting because the Originalhelmet had broken tubes on the front.So the mask is not complete Original.

I have no TM so I cannot speak for the rest of the helmet.A direct comparison of the TM and the CFO would be very interesting to see...especially the dome.

I have a VP cast facemask and I would say its a bit sharper in the details as my CFO facemask.But thats ok for me because the VP is from an ANH source and the CFO from ROTJ.

The TM is not the best mask to compare the tubes.They are molded back from an artist before casting because the Originalhelmet had broken tubes on the front.So the mask is not complete Original.

I have no TM so I cannot speak for the rest of the helmet.A direct comparison of the TM and the CFO would be very interesting to see...especially the dome.

I have a VP cast facemask and I would say its a bit sharper in the details as my CFO facemask.But thats ok for me because the VP is from an ANH source and the CFO from ROTJ.

vader.jpg

Ah, yes, that's the "worm/sausage/bleb/whatever". Unless this has changed without my hearing about it the current consensus is that the "worm" seems to have made its way into the helmets when copies were made for ESB production.

One thing to note when comparing the various helmets is that the original ANH helmet was refurbished/repainted to an extent immediately following production in 1977. This was believed to have been done by Rick Baker when he made the publicity copies of the helmet some time within the three months between the May premier and prior to the Grauman's Chinese Theater ceremony in August and the "Chronicles" photo shoot. The timeline supports this belief as we have the photos at Don Post Studios that show the costume still in its original production condition and the subsequent Chronicles shoot which shows the touched up paint job.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, that's the "worm/sausage/bleb/whatever". Unless this has changed without my hearing about it the current consensus is that the "worm" seems to have made its way into the helmets when copies were made for ESB production.

One thing to note when comparing the various helmets is that the original ANH helmet was refurbished/repainted to an extent immediately following production in 1977. This was believed to have been done by Rick Baker when he made the publicity copies of the helmet and within the two months prior to the Grauman's Chinese Theater ceremony and the "Chronicles" photo shoot. The timeline supports this belief as we have the photos at Don Post Studios that show the costume still in its original production condition and the subsequent Chronicles shoot which shows the touched up paint job.

Thank you, that somewhat cleared it up for me.

I have a TM and the GS. The thing is the TM was stripped and I don’t care what people say it can portray what it was originally after stripping. And the GS had a poor paint job on it. The VP was sanded and cleaned up, so again you’re not going to get a true comparison.
The GS was taken from the UK mould of the original ANH faceplate and the ROTJ dome could have been around as early as 1978-79 according to the timeline the GS surfaced and a similar helmet owned by someone I have spoken to that is also from an authentic source and were in their possession around 78-79.

I have a TM and the GS. The thing is the TM was stripped and I don’t care what people say it can portray what it was originally after stripping. And the GS had a poor paint job on it. The VP was sanded and cleaned up, so again you’re not going to get a true comparison.
The GS was taken from the UK mould of the original ANH faceplate and the ROTJ dome could have been around as early as 1978-79 according to the timeline the GS surfaced and a similar helmet owned by someone I have spoken to that is also from an authentic source and were in their possession around 78-79.

Yes its always hard to compare this old helmets because you never really know what they did with them before painting.And about the "sharper details"on my VP: I was talking about some details around the tubes and the "worms" under the cheek-bone area.I was thinking if this details are sharper,the VP cast could be an earlyer cast from the original facemask as the GS?Or it could be also a complete different mold?Who knows.But I think its impossible to make this very small details better with sanding.From what I know they never added details to the VP only removed some.

Last edited:
So the consensus is the "worm" came about during the remolding of the face for ESB and then removed for ROTJ?

If that is the case then both the TM and GS came before the production of ROTJ, like Mark said during the production of ESB was when they were cast.

Yes.Look...a real direct casted ESB or ROTJ helmet would have the bigger triangle cut out under the mouthsection.But all UK mold masks have only the ANH sized markings to cut out.So the TM and also the GS are no casts from a production used Vaderhelmet.They are all casts around the production with a lineage to the originalmolds.
The theory is,that they cut out the triangle out for every production line.So the basecast of all later helmets was the UK mold design with the ANH look.I have thousands of vaderpics but not on this PC...so I cannot post any pics for now.

Yes.Look...a real direct casted ESB or ROTJ helmet would have the bigger triangle cut out under the mouthsection.But all UK mold masks have only the ANH sized markings to cut out.So the TM and also the GS are no casts from a production used Vaderhelmet.They are all casts around the production with a lineage to the originalmolds.
The theory is,that they cut out the triangle out for every production line.So the basecast of all later helmets was the UK mold design with the ANH look.I have thousands of vaderpics but not on this PC...so I cannot post any pics for now.

Well the GS and TM are not off a helmet but come from the production MOLDS where the face came from the ANH mask. That is why we see the outline of the smaller triangle vent.

As far as I am aware the original helmet we cast was cast from the original UK moulds and not from a screen used helmet. So in a sense a generation closer to the originals than casting a screen used. As the screen used also came from the original UK moulds. If that makes sense.
Of course my ROTJ version was cleaned up and and altered to match the screen used as best I could. I tried to retain as many details as possible whilst making the helmets still retain that hand sculpted feel that Brian had given them originally. The ROtJ was probably the cleanest of the original trilogy.

As far as I am aware the original helmet we cast was cast from the original UK moulds and not from a screen used helmet. So in a sense a generation closer to the originals than casting a screen used. As the screen used also came from the original UK moulds. If that makes sense.

If I'm not wrong , UK molds are cast on the screen used ANH helmet .

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back