Deadpool 2:Cable

I want to give a huge thanks to everyone who has been involved in this discussion. I thought I may put some of my build up on here to possibly inspire other costumers as everyone here has already done for me. I did not think about shooting each step of the project, so there is going to be a lot of gaps in my process. If you have questions, just ask!

Why not start from the ground up? Here are my boots.

tumblr_pazpkkNnDK1sjdnvro6_1280.jpg

I started with the Bates Cobra 8" Side-Zip Hot Weather Jungle Boot in Sage. I originally bought the Coyote that everyone else seems to be getting, but I intended to modify them, (which is needed if you use the sage boots) and thought the color was a pretty close match.

I used acrylics to color the suede. I used a burnt umber to bring out that rusted brown that they used on the real boots. I also worked with some black to add a dusting of dirt, and also to replicate the natural inconsistencies in leather's ability to take dye. I ended up having to go back over and do multiple coats as the acrylics do absorb into the suede.

tumblr_pazpkkNnDK1sjdnvro1_1280.jpg

Next step was just adding that little touch that will probably go unnoticed, but adds an insane amount of more depth to the piece: the brass eyelets and zippers. I have that hook and loop section pinned off while painting, but I did end up completely removing that from the boot.

tumblr_pazpkkNnDK1sjdnvro2_1280.jpg

Next part involved some faux-suede that I purchased. I went for a deep grey to try and match the boot as best as possible, while offering the right texture. It wasn't a perfect match by any means, but with a little elbow grease it worked out well enough. I whipped together some patterns on pattern paper, then took it to the fabric. Once the pieces were cut, I just attached them to the boot with hot-temp hot glue (so I can remove them easily if I decide to upgrade to sewn leather).

tumblr_pazpkkNnDK1sjdnvro3_1280.jpg

Next step was bringing back my great friend, acrylics! This took a series of coats to try and match the color. When I initially started the boots, I wasn't intending on doing the buckles and all that. If I did this again, I would do all of my coloring at once, which would allow for a more uniform look across the piece.

tumblr_pazpkkNnDK1sjdnvro4_1280.jpg

Then the final touch; adding the buckles and eyelets!

tumblr_pazpkkNnDK1sjdnvro5_1280.jpg

Overall this is a small part of the costume, but I really thought it was a fun part of the project for me. Maybe I'm just a sucker for boots though haha

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
Thanks Soulinertia!

This is the way I set up my belt. After seeing the movie a couple times, I'm fairly certain that I picked the wrong battle belt. I am going to eventually replace it with an HSGI Sure-Grip Slotted Padded Belt in Wolf Gray. Those early pictures were tough to work off of, lots of blind buying only to have a new trailer hit and need to replace a piece haha.

tumblr_pb06jwqHSQ1sjdnvro2_540.jpg

tumblr_pb06jwqHSQ1sjdnvro1_540.jpg

I'm using a P226 right now, but will eventually snag a PPQ replica (fingers crossed that someone makes an airsoft Q5 Match by that time). I'm not quite ready to dump money in a couple new handguns though, it's been preoccupied in something a little ...bigger

tumblr_pb03gbMU7R1sjdnvro2_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have reread and looked at this thread about 3 times and I have to say the work you guys did was amazing. @Soulinertia @Malibu139 @Jackal @Cable7000. Gotta say you guys did some freaking amazing work. I am not a pro Cosplayer or builder but I’m trying to go for the BFG build too. But it is hard to really find some of the main pieces. So I thought I could ask for some help, if it’s okay. I already have my wooden buy stock, Grenada barrels, scope and micro dot sight. But I can seem to find kriss vector base and the top barrel shroud that goes on top of the gun. I’m thinking 3D print , because the airsoft kriss vector is way too much. So was coming for maybe some help from you guys to maybe point me in right direction for these pieces. Would appreciate the help. I have been doing google searches up the wazzo hoping to find something but no luck.Thanks.

And rightly so. I cant wait to see this one too

I'm looking forward to showing my whole build in a series of steps on here! The current goal is to finish this for Windy City Comic Con in August, so as long as a few things don't get seized by customs on the way from China, I should be good to go!

I have reread and looked at this thread about 3 times and I have to say the work you guys did was amazing. @Soulinertia @Malibu139 @Jackal @Cable7000. Gotta say you guys did some freaking amazing work. I am not a pro Cosplayer or builder but I’m trying to go for the BFG build too. But it is hard to really find some of the main pieces. So I thought I could ask for some help, if it’s okay. I already have my wooden buy stock, Grenada barrels, scope and micro dot sight. But I can seem to find kriss vector base and the top barrel shroud that goes on top of the gun. I’m thinking 3D print , because the airsoft kriss vector is way too much. So was coming for maybe some help from you guys to maybe point me in right direction for these pieces. Would appreciate the help. I have been doing google searches up the wazzo hoping to find something but no luck.Thanks.

I totally agree, these folks in this thread have done some INCREDIBLE work. As for your seeking a lower cost Kriss - keep an eye on eBay, as there's a ~$100 version that pops up there once in a while. As per forum rules, I can't link it for you, but just keep searching. Other options include making it from foam (I think Malibu139 did that), or modifying a similar Nerf gun (I want to say Mindbomb did that)

In regards to the top shroud, it was custom built, so you'll have to get crafty. I should be done with my upper shroud by the end of the weekend, and will post what I did and used for everyone to see.

EDIT: Added some more information and @ signs to usernames

Hey Toggle, not a Nerf. The base is the insulation board from Home Depot, along with PVC and wood. Various saws, plainers and drills in the assist.

Hey Toggle, not a Nerf. The base is the insulation board from Home Depot, along with PVC and wood. Various saws, plainers and drills in the assist.

That’s right! I should’ve gone back and checked before posting, your build just popped into my head when I was considering which route to go for my build. Yours stuck out in my mind because I’ve worked with that material before, for 3D sculpting, and was blown away with your results... Must have taken some serious homework and skill. It’s some seriously amazing work!

I went back to check; it was Cableguy7000 that used the Nerf. Another awesome way to capture the feel and style of the prop!

For my upper shroud, I'm using two 15" Lavi handguards from Matrix Arms. I bought these because they were the closest match I could find to the general design of Kenny's shroud short of fabricating one from scratch.

tumblr_pb3g29pUVC1sjdnvro1_540.jpg

Word of warning though, since I totally missed it when I ordered them; Matrix Arms sucks and machined the keymods backwards on this particular series of handguards.. No joke, look closely at the picture. I ended up working around the mishap, since the rear half of the shroud doesn't have any rails or keymod slots. I just cut them to fit head to head. More on that in a bit. First things first, I wanted to mount the rear rails in the same place, which meant I had to drill a new hole and a slot for the keymod brace on the back of the rail to fit. Once I got the rail on, I realized one of the holes was off by a hair, so I took the drill to the hole again.

tumblr_pb3ghw0H551sjdnvro1_1280.jpgtumblr_pb03gbMU7R1sjdnvro3_1280.jpg

Next thing I needed to do was measure out my cuts and trim these bad boys down. As I mentioned before, I needed to face them head to head. This was so I could use the back rail section for the rear of the shroud, but have the keymod slots in the correct orientation for all the goodies I will be adding. In order to join them together, I had to find the best place to cut each so they would look almost seamless.

tumblr_pb3bkkFZYM1sjdnvro4_1280.jpgtumblr_pb03gbMU7R1sjdnvro2_1280.jpgtumblr_pb3bkkFZYM1sjdnvro3_1280.jpg

It looks a little sloppy right now, but once I join them together this weekend, I will clean it all up. My cut with the miter was about 1mm to far on the front end of the shroud, so you'll notice that one section of picatinny is just a hair shorter than the rest. Overall it won't make a big difference, as I won't be mounting anything that far up the top rail.

I ended up going with the Krytac airsoft version of the Vector, and am very happy with it. It's a pretty close replica, as it kept the tooless breakdown, the ability to remove the top rail, and the slot to affix a permanent stock. Since I can actually remove the top rail, I am going to have a much easier time mounting the shroud to the weapon.

tumblr_pb3bkkFZYM1sjdnvro1_1280.jpg

I've currently got the overall length of the top shroud at 27 1/8", which is in the threshold of that hint Kenney mentioned a while back, though I may try to lose another 1/2" or 3/4". I'll decide on that when my barrel and muzzle break come in (darn Hong Kong post taking forever). Ignore the M4 carry handle, I'm just using it to hold the two pieces together until I permanently join them. I'll be joining them with epoxy and an aluminum guide rod that will rest right inside the top rail. I am considering brazing them as well, but it will depend on how strong of a hold I can get between the two pieces.

tumblr_pb3bkkFZYM1sjdnvro2_1280.jpg

Lastly, a sneak peek at my functional removable stock. With Thompson stocks, they started making the stocks removable after 1928, which is a pretty bad ass feature. One massive benefit of utilizing this feature is storage and transportation, I don't own a gun case that can store a ~41.5" rifle and didn't want to buy a new one. So I will be mounting an adapter piece to the Kriss, which my Thompson stock will actually snap into. I'm waiting on a couple pieces of hardware for the removable stock (which should be coming in today), but set up a rough layout using picatinny to give a rough idea.

tumblr_pb3bkkFZYM1sjdnvro5_1280.jpgtumblr_pb3bkkFZYM1sjdnvro6_1280.jpg

Oh, and I bought the wrong stock before doing all of the research, but figured I would share incase anyone wants to get screen accurate. The stock used in the movie is a M1A1 or M1927A1-3 No Cross Bolt stock. These were the early versions before they started reinforcing the stocks with a cross bolt (that big circular hole on the side of the stock is where the cross bolt goes). It also has a buttplate that is identical to the one used on the M1 Garand, which mounts by two screws on the back (as opposed to one on the back, and one on the top). He also Anglicized the weapon, which is when the English had the brilliant idea of mounting a sling swivel to the top of the stock. Usually they would move the sling swivel from the bottom to the top, but the BFG has both.

I may try and track down the proper stock, but they are a lot harder to come by and these things are collector's items, so they can get pretty pricey (especially with all of the hardware).

Hopefully I will get this mostly done over the weekend and have made some more progress!

Has any one figured out what the vests are? as far as i can tell there are two different styles of vest worn.

Yeah there are two different ones. There's the plate carrier and then there's the chest harness. I haven't started on the chest harness yet, so I can't speak on that (though the answer has been mentioned in previous posts), but I did set up the plate carrier rig.

tumblr_pb4u61wR0H1sjdnvro1_1280.jpg

I used a Condor Sentry (https://tacticalgear.com/condor-sentry-plate-carrier-black) and added a second set of 2" straps and buckles on the side. I wasn't able to find anything closer, and the Condor was dirt cheap, so no complaints on my end.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I upgraded the shoulder pads to HSGI Sure-Grips PC Shoulder Pads. WAY more comfortable, but less screen accurate, so I'm probably going to change them back before I rock the costume again.

SPOILERS: The plate carrier is used in two of the big scenes. The Ice Box Breakout with the poncho hanging from the right shoulder strap and a texture printed activewear shirt, & the DMC Land Train Raid with the poncho worn around the neck and a heather red t-shirt. The chest harness is used in the Essex House with a shemagh around the neck and the same heather red t-shirt (my humble opinion for the coolest looking load out).

Last edited:
So I've been reading this forum ever since I saw the movie, and this is by far the most avid and interesting forum I've seen yet lol. I love to see the many different approaches to creating this BFG, now you're gonna hear about mine! I am a very avid 3D modeler and printer, especially when it comes to movie props and replicas. I have a couple screen used props from famous movies like Kingsman and 13 Hours, and those props are made of a mixture of hard foam and soft rubber, this is where my idea for my cable gun begins. In the pictures (hopefully they load) you will see the beginning of the BFG in CAD. After learning that the original shrouds on the prop were custom designed I thought I should follow that rule and make mine as close as I can see based on my reference photos. My plan with these files is to 3D print them, and them means everything I can possible design, then sand those pieces to a very fine quality. From there I can then make tons of mold of each part and cast these in a yet to be chosen firm rubber, thus allowing me to make the piece look the part but feel a hell of a lot lighter. This is all in my head at the moment, only thing I have actually done is spend hours modeling this beast. The model itself currently looks very nice in my opinion but I am still figuring out the best way to design parts so they print easy and can be molded easily. The only parts of this gun I plan to buy are the stock, sights, maybe the picatinny (Haven't decided that yet either), and the flashlight maybe. Once the file is done I will be sure to post it free to everyone, because I don't want to be that dick who boasts about his design and then doesn't share it. Keep up the great work everyone and thanks for getting me this far, and thank you for listening to my thought process and mind dump hahahaha. View attachment 823158View attachment 823159

Hi Man, I love you idea about a 3D mega BGS Rifle, and i things it the better idea for to overcome the increasingly closed controls that are presented to the comicon. I would like to know if you have concluded the project is in case it was concluded how much it would cost me to be able to buy from you the file or directly the various pieces printed. I await your news [emoji1308]

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi where I can take or buy the file?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

My comment on free files was in reference to the " it goes to 11" guitar knob, not the whole BFG.
I had to pay for someone to make the file( vector,rails, and mag) and printed those parts and made the rest except the stock. and then had figure out how to put the giant puzzle together.

So the project is not done, mostly I have to work on how it could be assembled. My path was going to plan on molding it, so it wouldn't print ready to assemble, but more as a ready to mold and then assemble. Once I'm done I can sell the files, maybe $20-$30 for all of them. There are some pieces I am not modeling, like the stock and probably the scope. The Kriss Vector body is going to be modeled for sure. Let me know if you're still interested and I'll finish up the model as soon as possible. :)

A little progress on the BFG; while I was waiting for more parts to come in, I decided "why not find out how long the shroud is, and just replicate that length with mine?". So I did that.

Turns out the upper shroud has 66 rail slots:

tumblr_pbbcf7J7UU1sjdnvro1_1280.jpg

So I carefully measured and ended up cutting my shroud down from 68 to 66 slots. In the process, I also cleaned up the space where they will join, so it will be even less noticeable that they were originally two separate pieces. The upper shroud ended up being 26.5" with the 66 slots. I imagine that Kenney's is ~ 1/4" longer since my final rail slot doesn't have the extended block at the end to keep me from using equipment past that point on the shroud. I'm still happy with what I've managed though.

tumblr_pbbci7kl2P1sjdnvro1_1280.jpgtumblr_pbbci7kl2P1sjdnvro2_1280.jpgtumblr_pbbci7kl2P1sjdnvro3_1280.jpg

Didn't get them to the table saw this weekend like I had hoped, but I will aim to chop them down soon. I decided I wanted to wait on my lower shroud to come in before I did any cuts that will alter the height of the shrouds. Unfortunately, due to the holiday here in the States, my package won't be coming in until Monday. I decided on a Noveske NSR Keymod 13.5" because it was the closest I could find when it came to style. Luckily, the airlift company Madbull makes a knock-off, so I managed to save over a hundred dollars there!

All that really matters though, is that it's beginning to take shape!

tumblr_pbbdx92ABy1sjdnvro1_1280.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back