1/4 scale R/C Tachikoma build (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

TACHIKOMA!!!! OMG, this is so cool.

Also, I'm pretty sure I have that same plush in your icon. It's about a foot tall, right?

TACHIKOMA!!!! OMG, this is so cool.

Also, I'm pretty sure I have that same plush in your icon. It's about a foot tall, right?

Probably, it's the COSPA one, and it's the best plush version that I know of. Picked it up several years back during my
one and only trip to Japan.

Looking great!
More updates, please.

I'm working on it, and will post more up when I have better progress.

Currently I am having to rework the rear abdomen (LOTS of Bondo, sanding, etc) due to the heavy warping
of the parts. The abdomen is made out of 22 separately printed parts that are glued together, so there are
a lot of seams to hide, and misalignment issues to be dealt with.

I have also been doing some design work to create new mounting points for the legs internal skeletons. My previous
designs weren't working well, so it's back to the drawing board (or monitor, as the case may be) to try again.

Would there be any interest in a small write up on how I am modding the R/C transmitter to include an extra pair of
joysticks? I've done some testing with clip-on test leads, and have confirmed that you can use one PSP joystick in the
place of two rotation switches.

This is a killer build! I love it, can't wait to see everything put together!

..you're gonna brutally murder him though, right?

For any of the RPF members in Texas, I will be having a panel at Anime Fest (August 15-18 in Dallas, TX) about the build on Sapporo (my Tachikoma). I will post the time and room once they finalize the schedule.

Sapporo should be fully mobile by the convention, so in addition to seeing him at the panel you might just run into him as he wanders about the hallways at the Sheraton... :)

Progress update:
Designed and printed a servo to PVC pipe clamp mount that will be used for the shoulder joint articulation of the legs.
The adapter has two parts and uses 4-40 bolts/washers/nuts to clamp the parts together. The pipe is Schedule 40 3/4"
PVC pipe.

The pipe is a simple friction clamp, but I do have two holes in the sides to allow me to pin the pipe in place to prevent it
from spinning or pulling out of the clamp.
leg_servo_clamp01.jpgleg_servo_clamp02.jpgleg_servo_clamp03.jpg

It's nice, I'm starting to get the hang of the various tolerances involved in both the design (Lightwave) and printing areas
and was able to get a successfully working design on the first try with no size or scaling issues.

Last edited:
Not to detract from your brilliant work, but I just came across this youtube video a few days ago and thought I'd share it:

It's a motorized LEGO model but looks really good. The drive and walking modes are almost spot on.

I know once finished your model is gonna knock this one outta the park. Looking forward to more updates. Nice work as always!

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this project coming?
Any updates?

Nothing really worth mentioning, but very slow progress is being made. We moved the Dallas Makerspace at the beginning of July to a much larger
building, and it's taken until last weekend for it to really be a functional place to work. For now I'm tweaking the bare bones pvc skeleton that the
legs are mounted on, and have gone through 3 different versions of "shoulder" joints so far in the past week. (One you see above which is the
servo based version, an adjustable [but not animated] joint, and a static single angle joint.) I'm also slowly poking at the finish work on the rear
abdomen, but it's being a bit of a pain in the rear (pun intended) to get done to the level of quality I want.

Not to detract from your brilliant work, but I just came across this youtube video a few days ago and thought I'd share it:

{link removed for brevity - Hardsuit}

It's a motorized LEGO model but looks really good. The drive and walking modes are almost spot on.

I know once finished your model is gonna knock this one outta the park. Looking forward to more updates. Nice work as always!

I actually voted for that on the Lego Cuusoo page when it was an active submission. VERY cool little bit of engineering.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back