Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

As these kits start arriving, if someone could measure (in mm) the distance between these two window corners (not including the thickness of the plastic part) for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll have to wait a couple months till my falcon arrives, but I'd like to have my original studio model cockpit ready by then

cockpit measurement.jpg

Thanks!

I doubt the license they have excludes ESB models as they have AT-ATs,Slave 1 and a snowspeeder which are all ESB.

The PerfectGrade falcon is in direct competition with the Revell Fine Molds kit. .

The reason I imagined the license issue is precisely because, having produced those kits, together with the Falcon in 1/144 (TFA) as well as in 1/350 (ANH), Bandai has excluded the ESB Falcon from their line as of today, which they could have easily released a variant in 1/144 or 1/350. I think there is little reason for Bandai to release the 1/350 ANH Falcon in the first place, if they were able to obtain the license to release it in the ESB version.

Also, it was when Finemolds expired their StarWars products that Bandai started selling theirs, both of which the primary market is in Japan. That is also when Revell aqired the casts of the Finemolds kits, who presumably holds the license to sell in their market (outside of Japan). Market-region-wise, the Bandai Falcon is not in competition with the Revell one, and it seems that that is how the licenses are articulated.

But the Deagostini kit is in full distribution throughout Japan, and I imagined that that could be the reason why Bandai is has/could not release ESB Falcons whether 1/350 or 1/144.

Extending my imagination, I think the most probable variant to the perfect grade Falcon would be a new trilogy Falcon, when episode IX is released and the demand reaches its full height. The engine grills of the perfect grade Falcon indicates that possibility, more so than the ESB version. If licensing is not an issue with the ESB version (or if the Deagostini kit expires in Japan by then), then Bandai might make it a convertible kit, or else the die-hard fans of the rare 5foot Falcon in ESB would be left to buy the ANH kit (for the radar dish) and the new trilogy kit, which also happens to be the most profitable path for Bandai.

As these kits start arriving, if someone could measure (in mm) the distance between these two window corners (not including the thickness of the plastic part) for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll have to wait a couple months till my falcon arrives, but I'd like to have my original studio model cockpit ready by then

About 33mm.
P2030397RS.jpg

Just where the saucer bit is at its widest, straight across. No cockpit tube or anything. The side airlocks don't sick out far enough so they don't matter.

The width indicated in red measured around 359.5mm.

One word: Having looked at the actual kit, I think that if you have the skills to plant interiors into this thing, echoing the elegant hull curvature, it will be a much easier task to add gearboxes to convert it into an ESB version that you are preparing this interior for. Besides, that conversion shall be a virtual experience of what the ILM modellers did to the actual 5foot model when the ESB was filmed.

MFマーキングs.jpg

For future reference, there are some blueprints and photogrammetry images of the five footer that were made for this thread https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=199048. What you do is scale the images so that the length of the falcon in the blueprints matches the length of Bandai's falcon, which is 482mm. Using this method, my measurements for my cockpit interior model were less than 1 mm off. I just wanted to make sure I was close by confirming it with actual measurements from the kit. So download some photos from there ^^^^ scale them and you should be good to go!

Is it possible to get highres electronic version of this decal placing manual somewhere? Or assembly manual. This would be great refernce for non-Bandai Falcon model makers.

My cockpit interior is currently in the process of being 3d printed, so I thought in the meantime I'd get to work on the many, many shapes and patterns that are scattered all over the back wall and side walls.
Back Wall.png

Also, as I was looking over reference photos, I found there was a point when Han and Chewbacca figures sat inside the five footer cockpit. So maybe I'll see what Bandai's tiny figures look like sitting inside my custom cockpit.

20170903_124817[11766].jpg

Last edited:
The width indicated in red measured around 359.5mm.

View attachment 755698

Is it possible to get highres electronic version of this decal placing manual somewhere? Or assembly manual. This would be great refernce for non-Bandai Falcon model makers.

OMG! I second that motion... I am in the process of detailing my amt-ertl cutaway kit for more resemblance to the 5-footer, so the decal placing would be extremely useful, as well as the decal sheet itself. I have got already many of the more distinguisable decal designs, some found online, some redone by me in illustrator when the source was in low res, but I'm pretty sure many details have escaped me, as well as the correct scaling for each decal. This sheet would be a great reference.

Very nicely done. :)

Now I'm glad I didn't get beyond making the seats...

You never know where the skills from making your models will lead to, I wouldn't give up!

Can't wait to see that painted up, Joe! Looks great. :thumbsup So they printed this up from your files?

Yeah, it was really easy to upload 3D models to their site. I used their frosted ultra detail. In fact, the frosted ultra detail was the only option available for my parts because of how thin they are. But this was my first experience with 3D printing, it was pretty harmless.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back