New First Order vehicles revealed

Yes some of the new vehicles are uninspired but after the awful chromed SR71's from the prequels at least they look like they belong in the Star Wars universe.

I like the sleek Naboo ships. All of the galaxy doesn't need to be old and beat up.

I think one of the points was that the Empire caused lots of issues leading to things getting worse for most people.

One of my complaints about TFA was it's like nothing really changed since ESB. It's just similar groups with different names.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hear hear. And a brilliantly chromed Queen's starship. :cheers

I'd prefer to skip the chrome coating (even though I know Bandai will plate it for their quick-build S.O.P.) and make sure all the seams are filled before chroming and burnishing it myself.

But speaking of these ships, now that the comics are canon, too, I'd love to see a model of the Emperor's yacht Imperialis:

latest

--Jonah

I'd prefer to skip the chrome coating (even though I know Bandai will plate it for their quick-build S.O.P.) and make sure all the seams are filled before chroming and burnishing it myself.

But speaking of these ships, now that the comics are canon, too, I'd love to see a model of the Emperor's yacht Imperialis:

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.ne...e_craft.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150711232116

--Jonah

Nice. What comic is that from? This yacht (or at least a replica of it), makes an appearance in the Aftermath books.

New destroyer manages to be even less interesting from all angles than the slapped-together TFA destroyer. Didn't see that coming. New walker looks like a big old NERF launcher will fit nicely in the head. Hooray. New X/W is still terrible, with absurdly undersized wings, and engines that make no sense. New TIE...hahahaha...just kidding, silly - it's still the same TIE, just painted in a reverse colour scheme. Kylo's new TIE...looks like someone sat on a T/A from the TIE Fighter games.

I am continually stunned that the design work on this new trilogy continues to be so totally abysmal across the board. Not a single interesting silhouette, not a single interesting angle on any of these things. How has this group completely missed the rules Lucas set down for 6 movies? STRONG silhouettes; MULTIPLE appealing angles; designs that READ to an audience immediately. I mean, even if you hate the PT, you have to admit there are some terrific designs there - the Acclamator, the Republic SD, the AT-TE, all of the Naboo ships, the Eta-2s, just off the top of my head. The only appealing designs so far in 2 films of the new trilogy are the Falcon, the new X/W, and the FO TIE...soooo......yeah. Awkward.

New destroyer manages to be even less interesting from all angles than the slapped-together TFA destroyer. Didn't see that coming. New walker looks like a big old NERF launcher will fit nicely in the head. Hooray. New X/W is still terrible, with absurdly undersized wings, and engines that make no sense. New TIE...hahahaha...just kidding, silly - it's still the same TIE, just painted in a reverse colour scheme. Kylo's new TIE...looks like someone sat on a T/A from the TIE Fighter games.

I am continually stunned that the design work on this new trilogy continues to be so totally abysmal across the board. Not a single interesting silhouette, not a single interesting angle on any of these things. How has this group completely missed the rules Lucas set down for 6 movies? STRONG silhouettes; MULTIPLE appealing angles; designs that READ to an audience immediately. I mean, even if you hate the PT, you have to admit there are some terrific designs there - the Acclamator, the Republic SD, the AT-TE, all of the Naboo ships, the Eta-2s, just off the top of my head. The only appealing designs so far in 2 films of the new trilogy are the Falcon, the new X/W, and the FO TIE...soooo......yeah. Awkward.

I love the TIE to bits, but if you're talking about designs not making sense, well that's one right there. I'm quite partial to Kylo's new TIE advanced as well actually.

I love the TIE to bits, but if you're talking about designs not making sense, well that's one right there. I'm quite partial to Kylo's new TIE advanced as well actually.

You love the FO TIE? I mean, sure, but it's pretty much literally just the OT TIE painted black and grey instead of white and black. It looks fine, but that's because the design group didn't actually do anything there. Similarly the new XW is basically the old XW, just with a pointless change to the wing split which leaves tiny, stick-wings, and somehow separates what is clearly a turbine fan in the engines in half. Couple that with the giant, ground-buzzing blaster cannon and the fact that the droid has to pass through what must be a complete void in the hull, and it becomes clear the thing was just not thought through at all.

You love the FO TIE? I mean, sure, but it's pretty much literally just the OT TIE painted black and grey instead of white and black. It looks fine, but that's because the design group didn't actually do anything there. Similarly the new XW is basically the old XW, just with a pointless change to the wing split which leaves tiny, stick-wings, and somehow separates what is clearly a turbine fan in the engines in half. Couple that with the giant, ground-buzzing blaster cannon and the fact that the droid has to pass through what must be a complete void in the hull, and it becomes clear the thing was just not thought through at all.

Eh, I said I love the TIE. As in the OT TIE. my point was that if you're talking about craft not making sense in real life situations (which you seem to be going by your X-Wing turbine explanation) then the TIE never really made sense. That was my point.

The TIE makes a heck of a lot more sense than the X-wing.
It's right there in the name: Twin Ion Engine. And it's got huge collector panels to power them.
That's plausible technology, and JPL's actually had ion engines on their drawing boards for decades.
What's the X-wing? Some kind of turbine/rocket thing? Why do the wings split? that's a lot of over-engineering,
and a lot of moving parts that can break - for what purpose?
Also, 4 engines. More engines means more mass, means more fuel, means more mass, means more fuel...
Completely inefficient for space travel.
That said, the X-wing is still my favorite ship, next to the Falcon.
It's a space dragster with laser cannons!

The TIE makes a heck of a lot more sense than the X-wing.
It's right there in the name: Twin Ion Engine. And it's got huge collector panels to power them.
That's plausible technology, and JPL's actually had ion engines on their drawing boards for decades.
What's the X-wing? Some kind of turbine/rocket thing? Why do the wings split? that's a lot of over-engineering,
and a lot of moving parts that can break - for what purpose?
Also, 4 engines. More engines means more mass, means more fuel, means more mass, means more fuel...
Completely inefficient for space travel.
That said, the X-wing is still my favorite ship, next to the Falcon.
It's a space dragster with laser cannons!

Fair enough, point taken. I'm not very knowledgable on NASA/JPL tech so this is an education. I love most SW designs, especially OT ones, but so far don't think the new ones are the crap-fest many seem to think they are. Each to their own and all that though.

The first photo I saw of this I thought it looked great, obviously not seeing this knuckle walking front legs. I would have loved a buffalo inspired walker, but Gorilla, and curled front legs. Leave Harambe alone.

Disney is ruining Star Wars.

Nuff said...

Well no, not enough said yet.

What's next, an Optimas X-Wing?
Maybe a Bumble BB-8?
Ooh, I know, how about a Tie Zord?
There has already been a transformers/star wars crossover toy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The first photo I saw of this I thought it looked great, obviously not seeing this knuckle walking front legs. I would have loved a buffalo inspired walker, but Gorilla, and curled front legs. Leave Harambe alone.

That walker I'm okay with up until it starts walking like a gorilla. Hearing from the designer it sounds like he literally designed it inside a picture of a gorilla. I think he took that a little too literally. I remember the MTT (big brown battledroid transport from TPM) designer saying they based it on the look of a charging elephant with the bulbous "head" and the laser guns the tusks. It's didn't walk though.

I think he took that a little too literally. I remember the MTT (big brown battledroid transport from TPM) designer saying they based it on the look of a charging elephant with the bulbous "head" and the laser guns the tusks. It's didn't walk though.

I was going to bring that up too. Doug Chaig said that many of the PT vehicles were inspired by animal shapes. If I remember correctly, the TF tank was a lion, the STAP was a hummingbird, the troop lander was a dragon fly. It think the key word there is "inspired." The fact that the TLJ designer literally traced AT-AT elements over the picture of a gorilla seems to me kind of high school level effort. I hope it looks cooler on screen. I guess we should be lucky Lucasfilm didn't get REALLY cute and call it the AT-ILLA. Yeesh.

The Art of TFA book had a lot of really great design concepts which never saw the screen due to the powers that be wanting the new film to be very close to the classic ships. I figured those constraints would be lifted for the next movie- "hey guys, now lets sell some toys!".

Boy was I wrong. Derivative, uninspired, awkward = there is very little I would like a replica of in TLJ. They might look better on the screen and in motion, but as a model kit they leave me cold.

My 9 year old was excited about the new vehicles and I kid you not drew these on our white board at home. All I could say was "nailed it"!
16df644f4a231b411ac1e3bf7c5f0f2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Art of TFA book had a lot of really great design concepts which never saw the screen due to the powers that be wanting the new film to be very close to the classic ships. I figured those constraints would be lifted for the next movie- "hey guys, now lets sell some toys!".

Boy was I wrong. Derivative, uninspired, awkward = there is very little I would like a replica of in TLJ. They might look better on the screen and in motion, but as a model kit they leave me cold.

I would have been ok with this one. It is kind of close to the walkers we see in the background in the TFA. Heck I'd even have taken the TFA walkers as is

C9yqomQWAAAyjkt.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back