Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Fury Road is one of the only examples I can think of off the top of my head where a film maker returns to a franchise they created 20- 30 years later and makes a new movie that fits right in with the originals and is so much damn fun that it also stands on it's own.

It's an anomaly though. So very, very rare.

Star Wars is so broad and can be interpreted in so many different ways that even George Lucas himself couldn't figure out how to recapture his own magic. He kept changing his mind on what Star Wars is throughout the years. Hell if the creator himself couldn't do it again, then why do people honestly think that someone else is going to come along and be able to do it?

I'm completely lost what is the title of this thread? :confused

Bro, there's a lot of ground between happily ever after and holding a deadly weapon on a sleeping kid. After watching the despecialized OT this week I can't get on board with Luke's throne room lashing out while his friends and sole family member are under the imminent threat of death with wanting to kill Ben in his sleep over a bad dream. ROTJ doesn't have a happily ever after ending, it just has a happy ending. There's thousands of interesting ways they could have brought back the original cast without being cliche, retreading old ground or turning them into abject failures.

For me Luke is the best part of SW, that was really driven home last week during the rewatch. The TLJ version of Luke is just way to far from the guy at the end of ROTJ. I can enjoy the prequels to an extent for some scenes, mainly because I don't see the OT characters in it ( Hayden's Anakin isn't Vader to me, and Ewan's Obi isn't Alec's Obi to me) so it's easy to enjoy it as a fanfilm attempt to show a poorly written back story to a great trilogy. I doubt I'll ever rewatch the ST films (even though I enjoyed TFA) I never wanted or yearned for episode 7,8 or 9. To me they are totally unnecessary, it's not like ROTJ left an untold story that needed telling.
For my money the ST is just an obvious cash grab using nostalgia to bring people into the theater. Star Wars was an actual story and vision, not just GL's but the culmination of hundreds of people's hard work, creativity and vision that was made in spite of the studio heads, not because of them. This seems more like "what's going to make us the most money", I get it's a commercial endeavor but you can't really put commercial advertising art on the same level as the Mona Lisa.
From an artistic or storytelling point of view, it would probably have been better to just let the original characters go, the brand name alone would have been a money maker without Hamill, Ford and Fisher. There would have been no risk to actually losing audience numbers or fans. Let's face it nobody was expecting another SW movie (outside cartoons) after the prequels, if LFL had announced a new SW film in 2012 without the original cast we all still would have been excited. It was a big risk to bring them back, an even bigger risk to make them have no growth or maturing during the missing 30 years.

FWIW I was definitely expecting more sequels after the PT. Too much money to be had for it not to have happened at some point.

I dunno. I think TLJ sank on tone issues as much as anything.

When people don't like the tone of a movie they still mostly bring up specific things to complain about. But if the tone had been better they would have been less bothered by the specific rough spots.

Exactly. I like TFA, despite its numerous flaws. Because I liked it, I can overlook the rough spots. For me, TLJ made those rough spots even worse, lessening my positive perspective on TFA.

I'm totally fine with my heroes having failures. It makes them more relatable. You have to have conflict somewhere. And there's nothing in a 'they lived happily ever after'. That is from the end of fair tales. But if you want the story to continue, you got to dump the fairy tale ending.

I agree with this. I didn't hate how RJ portrayed Luke. I was disappointed that RJ ghosted Luke at the end, but the depressed, dejected, self loathing Luke was something I could get on board with. Yeah, there were some seriously creepy looks, like the green milk scene. But overall, I could relate the the "I'm a failure, and there's nothing I can do that will be if any use" Luke. I can totally relate to the "leave me alone and let me die" Luke. Just like I could relate to the "hmm, maybe you have a point, and shouldn't turn my back on the problem I helped create" Luke. My only wish is that he remained alive until episode IX, and had him die off in a better explained way, rather than simply fading away. Did he study the same things that Yoda and Obi Wan (and Qui Gon, to a lesser extent) did to learn how to become a force ghost? And speaking force ghosts, why wasn't Yoda translucent like he was in ROTJ? He was as solid as Luke was, with only a slight aura around him. Certainly they could have done better there.

The problem is HOW they fail.

I think you could have shown the OT heroes facing a failure without it undoing their key triumphs from the OT. Luke shouldn’t fail when facing the darkside, he passed that test where no one else could. But if he failed to raise another generation of Jedi, that could be of use. Like if all his students flipped and became the Knights of Ren he failed as a teacher, not in facing the darkside. There’s ways that could have done it.

I think Rian was right to challenge our ideas of the OT heroes, but the way he chose to do it was misguided.

Episode Nine still has the opportunity to set those things straight. We don't know what else may have been influencing Luke to think about killing Ben. Snoke was shown to be quite powerful by linking minds between Rey and Kylo. Who's to say he couldn't have done something similar with Luke?
I have assumed that the Knights of Ren are Luke's students who submitted to the dark side, rather than be killed by Kylo/ Ben. So in that, Luke failed as a teacher.
And I don't buy into the, beat the dark side once, never have to worry about it again. The Force is ever present, and the struggle with the dark side is a constant battle, internally, as you face your fears and failures, and externally, as you face the struggles of the galaxy as a whole. Luke wasn't perfect, failed as often as he succeeded, and it had to be a burden.

I didn't mind Han Solo dying. I expected it. That was inevitable, and helped give Kylo Ren depth and commitment to the dark side and to Snoke. Sadly, there was no follow through. So while JJ killed Han, RJ did nothing to give meaning and purpose to it.

I mentioned above that I had no real issues with Luke, and his self imposed exile. I'm still up in the air waiting and hoping for a better reasoning behind it.

And Leia, well, let's just say I'm not really impressed with how either director wrote her. Her role in VII wasn't great, in fact one could say it was lackluster to the point of being forgettable. Her role in VIII was just bad. The fact that Carrie Fisher's last living role will be remembered as "Leia Poppins" sucks big time.

Out of the three main heroes of the OT, Leia got the worst treatment. She was shown as neither having failed at anything, nor achieving any major successes, nor having much influence on the galaxy as a whole after ROTJ. it's implied elsewhere, but neither JJ or RJ really did her justice.

IX may very well be able to pick up the threads that were left dangling from VII. I hope JJ can finish what he started.

Since I felt that VIII really didn't accomplish much of anything, I'm hoping that IX is decent and saves the ST. Now that the rumor is splitting IX into two parts, we can still have a full three movie trilogy, lol.

My biggest problem with VIII isn't RJs treatment of the OT heroes, it was his lack of follow through on VII, and just poor writing as a whole. And the fact that, aside from a few things, nothing happened that really mattered.

Episode Nine still has the opportunity to set those things straight. We don't know what else may have been influencing Luke to think about killing Ben. Snoke was shown to be quite powerful by linking minds between Rey and Kylo. Who's to say he couldn't have done something similar with Luke?
I have assumed that the Knights of Ren are Luke's students who submitted to the dark side, rather than be killed by Kylo/ Ben. So in that, Luke failed as a teacher.
And I don't buy into the, beat the dark side once, never have to worry about it again. The Force is ever present, and the struggle with the dark side is a constant battle, internally, as you face your fears and failures, and externally, as you face the struggles of the galaxy as a whole. Luke wasn't perfect, failed as often as he succeeded, and it had to be a burden.

I didn't mind Han Solo dying. I expected it. That was inevitable, and helped give Kylo Ren depth and commitment to the dark side and to Snoke. Sadly, there was no follow through. So while JJ killed Han, RJ did nothing to give meaning and purpose to it.

I mentioned above that I had no real issues with Luke, and his self imposed exile. I'm still up in the air waiting and hoping for a better reasoning behind it.

And Leia, well, let's just say I'm not really impressed with how either director wrote her. Her role in VII wasn't great, in fact one could say it was lackluster to the point of being forgettable. Her role in VIII was just bad. The fact that Carrie Fisher's last living role will be remembered as "Leia Poppins" sucks big time.

Out of the three main heroes of the OT, Leia got the worst treatment. She was shown as neither having failed at anything, nor achieving any major successes, nor having much influence on the galaxy as a whole after ROTJ. it's implied elsewhere, but neither JJ or RJ really did her justice.

IX may very well be able to pick up the threads that were left dangling from VII. I hope JJ can finish what he started.

Since I felt that VIII really didn't accomplish much of anything, I'm hoping that IX is decent and saves the ST. Now that the rumor is splitting IX into two parts, we can still have a full three movie trilogy, lol.

My biggest problem with VIII isn't RJs treatment of the OT heroes, it was his lack of follow through on VII, and just poor writing as a whole. And the fact that, aside from a few things, nothing happened that really mattered.

I don't disagree-- I'm forever an optimist with SW, so I'd love it of thos were the case. JJ isn't known for sticking landings, but fingers crossed.

If it is a 2 part movie, maybe JJ can do the first, and have a second director, not RJ, assist with the second half. That way we can still have a cohesive trilogy, and have someone who knows how to conclude it, do so. I wish Spielberg, or Ron Howard (who did the best he could given the Charlie Foxtrot he inherited with Solo) could sign on for the conclusion of the ST and ultimately, the Skywalker saga.

Ever since Harry Potter split it's last movie into two it's become a trend to try and split the last movie in series into two. Since the Star War movies (at least the Saga films) are listed as Episode numbers, wouldn't that technically be Episode 10? At which point it's no longer a trilogy.

They're not seriously considering calling it Episode 9: Part One are they? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. So the title would be Star Wars: Episode 9 "The First Order Strikes Back" - (or whatever it ends up being called) Part 1.

Some fans even had a hard time understanding that Rogue One was not a sequel to TFA and that it took place before ANH. You think people are going to take a two part Episode 9 seriously? Or even understand why the movie has like 4 names?

I mean that's just laughable.

Which begs the bigger question. Are they going into all of this with a plan in mind or are they going to wing it like they seem to have been doing since 2012? While there may have been a business plan, it's clear that they have no overarching plan for what these stories are going to be or how they are going to make them into a cohesive universe like Marvel, which seems to be what they want to do. By jumping around in the timeline and in different parts of the universe, without a plan, they will lose their audience because they won't know what's going on, and if the fans are having a hard time understanding what's happening, believe me that the general public will have no clue.

Last edited:

Ever since Harry Potter split it's last movie into two it's become a trend to try and split the last movie in series into two. Since the Star War movies (at least the Saga films) are listed as Episode numbers, wouldn't that technically be Episode 10? At which point it's no longer a trilogy.

They're not seriously considering calling it Episode 9: Part One are they? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. So the title would be Star Wars: Episode 9 "The First Order Strikes Back" - (or whatever it ends up being called) Part 1.

Some fans even had a hard time understanding that Rogue One was not a sequel to TFA and that it took place before ANH. You think people are going to take a two part Episode 9 seriously? Or even understand why the movie has like 4 names?

I mean that's just laughable.

Which begs the bigger question. Are they going into all of this with a plan in mind or are they going to wing it like they seem to have been doing since 2012? While there may have been a business plan, it's clear that they have no overarching plan for what these stories are going to be or how they are going to make them into a cohesive universe like Marvel, which seems to be what they want to do. By jumping around in the timeline and in different parts of the universe, without a plan, they will lose their audience because they won't know what's going on, and if the fans are having a hard time understanding what's happening, believe me that the general public will have no clue.

There is a really nice interview with Lawrence and Jon Kasdan on StarWars.com, and Lawrence talks about some of the early planning for the movies, before it was sold to Disney.

https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-lawrence-and-jonathan-kasdan-interview

No idea if thats the actual plan or not, it's just something that popped up in my Google News feed. I'll see if I can find the link.

Found it
https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1000930/Star-Wars-9-Episode-IX-SPLIT-TWO-movies-Avengers-Infinity-War-release-date-backlash/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.express.co.uk%2Fentertainment%2Ffilms%2F1000930%2FStar-Wars-9-Episode-IX-SPLIT-TWO-movies-Avengers-Infinity-War-release-date-backlash

Last edited:

No idea if thats the actual plan or not, it's just something that popped up in my Google News feed. I'll see if I can find the link.

Found it
https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.amppr...?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%2 51%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.express.co.uk%2F entertainment%2Ffilms%2F1000930%2FStar-Wars-9-Episode-IX-SPLIT-TWO-movies-Avengers-Infinity-War-release-date-backlash

It's true it will probably take more than one additional movie to wrap this up well. But we don't need Ep9 in two parts, we need changes in Ep8. When people look back on this trilogy 10 or 20 years from now this is what everyone will be saying.

Look Disney, you wanna do unprecedented things with Star Wars? Then listen to your fans and do this. Just admit you made some mistakes right away and go back & fix them right away. Do a few weeks of new shooting and release an altered version of TLJ on video or something.

And start doing some test-screenings of SW movies in the future. It's standard procedure in the industry for a reason.

Look Disney, you wanna do unprecedented things with Star Wars? Then listen to your fans and do this. Just admit you made some mistakes right away and go back & fix them right away. Do a few weeks of new shooting and release an altered version of TLJ on video or something.

But why on earth would they do that? If you were to re-release a new version for that fans that didn't like TLJ, you now run the risk of alienating the fans who liked it!

But why on earth would they do that? If you were to re-release a new version for that fans that didn't like TLJ, you now run the risk of alienating the fans who liked it!
It's fairly obvious at this point that the fans that liked it will eat up anything with a Star Wars sticker slapped on it. I don't think it would be a problem.

It's fairly obvious at this point that the fans that liked it will eat up anything with a Star Wars sticker slapped on it. I don't think it would be a problem.

To be honest if Disney/Lucasfilm were to release a fan version, I'd be perturbed, probably a bit grumpy.

To be honest if Disney/Lucasfilm were to release a fan version, I'd be perturbed, probably a bit grumpy.

But you'd still go see the next Star Wars movie! ;)

To be clear I'm not suggesting LFL should release an alternate TLJ, it is what it is at this point.

Yeah, but that's a problem in all of the trilogies. ESB and ROTJ aren't much better. In ESB Luke blows it in the cave by bringing his sabre with him and lashing out at the Force image, and then blows it again by confronting Vader and nearly getting himself killed. But prior to that, you don't get any sense that Luke's tempted to go dark side. And it's not even clear that what he's doing is going dark side so much as just being cocky and thinking you can solve your problems by kicking it's ass.

In ROTJ, prior to meeting the Emperor, you don't get much sense that Luke's ready to go evil. In the throne room, there are basically two moments. The first is where the Emperor basically trolls Luke into grabbing his sabre and trying to kill him (which suggests he's learned nothing from ESB), the second is where Luke has again disengaged and is hiding from Vader, at which point Vader trolls him by saying he'll flip his sister, and Luke loses it completely...then backs off.

And based on that we're supposed to assume that he never, ever, ever gave into anger again? That he never had a vision he couldn't shake or a feeling that he had to take action? His failure in ESB is his failure in ROTJ and is his failure in between ROTJ and TFA (revealed in TLJ). It's arguably his critical character flaw: he will on occasion be too focused on controlling the future and will consider violence as the solution to an otherwise intractable problem. Except in TLJ, he actually has grown as compared to ROTJ because he regrets what he did as soon as he does it, but doesn't have a chance to take it back. If we take Luke at his word, he has a moment of weakness -- just one -- and it is the critical moment that destroys everything he's built. It's tragic, sure, but it arises from Luke's character flaw from the OT, which, even if he managed to avoid it in the critical moment of ROTJ, he fails to avoid thereafter.

I think the real problem is that ROTJ ended as "happily ever after" and you basically cannot let that stand if you're going to set the story in a world where the OT heroes are going to remain involved. I actually also wonder how much of Luke's failure is based on the background material developed in the lead up to TFA, and how much of it is pure Rian. Either way, I think it still fits, although I agree that Luke's general demeanor is jarring. The way he talked when he described the sequence, though? That was old school Luke, just an older, more regretful one who had failed at a critical moment.

To me that's good, but thin.
Luke did what he did in ESB and ROTJ out if imminent fear. In ESB, going to Bespin was the only 'vision' related thing he did. Ever. Prior to TLJ. And did he do anything 'dark side' there? No. He was lured into a trap, defended himself and flat out rejected the dark side by opting to fall do his death - which wound up not happening.

Entering the cave, with experience, you would know you don't need the weapons - he was a neophyte and was in a strange wilderness - who knows what's in there. Taking your weapons isn't a wrong move per se. Vader then walks up to him with a saber - not sure who'd just stand there.

In Jedi, as I said, i don't consider it very dark side-ish to want to take out the guy you just watched blow up a couple capital ships and tells you this was a trap and i'm going to kill them all. Then vader tells you i'm going to go after your sister next, again, not very dark side-ish IMO. He stopped when he realized it switch to rage.

Both are FAR FAR AWAY from having a vision in your hut, getting up, walking across campus or whatever, sneaking into your nephews hut and intending to stab him in the back while he's sleeping. There's not much of a comparison. The throne in jedi, pure adrenaline/emotion. Anakin and the sand people, same thing. Anakin/Dooku, same thing. Even luke in the cave was immediate fear based adrenaline. TLJ basically showed a cold calculated decision withdrawn at the last second, but not close enough as it pushed him totally over to the dark side for good. And to cap it off, he shirks the responsibility and goes to hide on a seemingly largely abandoned planet? Just poorly conceived and executed all the way around.

If you want to go that route, you've got to give something more than 'a vision'. Especially when we know visions are not set in stone.

A better execution of that would have been an E7 that picked up at the academy. We see Ben flirting with disaster. We see luke having visions. We see the visions starting to come true (smaller, not very evil ones), We see luke discussing it with han/leia. We get the final horrific vision, luke feels he has no choice, so he goes to the hut finds him asleep and the same scene occurs from there.

If you want to trash luke, you've got to make the investment, not try and get people to buy it off 2 lines or so of dialog. Obviously he did it because he felt he had no choice, but they offered NOTHING to make us believe it which is why it fails. It shouldn't matter a bit that people have built luke up over 30 years of nothing. Actually, it should, because everyone at LFL and involved with the production knows that to be the case. If you want people to buy that as the reason, you have to give them a reason to buy it. 'Just because' is not good enough.

Going back to how you cite the OT examples, you know enough about Luke to understand everything he does. I'd venture no one here would have done anything different in any of the scenario's he faced. I mean, people want to dissect the snot out of the throne room scene (not that there's anything wrong with that) and point out dark side leanings here or there. Here's his literal scenario:

-Captured by Vader
-Brought to the throne room to face the emperor and vader.
-Forced to watch as everyone he now knows is being killed out the window
-The only way he walks out of that room is with a dead emperor, and likely dead or flipped vader
-The other way he leaves that room is dead, or as the emperor or vaders henchman.

There is no 'peaceful' out of that situation. The jedi had no problem killing Geonosians in AOTC. Why should look have any compulsions about taking out either of those two? It's a false equivalency saying that trying to kill either of those two is reason enough for him to sneak up on his nephew to stab him in the back.

Ben wasn't a sleeping kid, he's supposed to be in his mid twentys.
I thought he was a teenager but I don't think his age effects the moral or ethical issue of murdering a person in their sleep.
No offense but anyone young enough to be my kid is considered a "kid". ;) I work with a 22 year old apprentice that's a big SW fan and have dropped "don't get cocky kid" when he accomplished a particularly difficult task. It's great that someone his age gets the many OT references I use at work. :cool:thumbsup

it's the Believe Fan Rumor And Youtube Unboxing Video Appreciation Thread

RB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back