Nostromo Costumes

Sigourney does have a bit of a jaw, doesn't she.

Can you get the UK national patches for the jackets?

alienuklogopatch.jpg

Edit: Apparently you can!

That's the only bit of replica proppage I've ever looked on with any degree of desire.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wanted to briefly share my efforts for a Nostromo Ripley costume - and I didn't think it warranted it's own thread.

This is my quick Ripley costume I threw together for Megacon. I had the most trouble finding appropriate shoes. As previously discussed her shoes are an odd combination of high-top sneakers with d-rings with some other alterations. In the end I re-used some old high-top boxing shoes to save some money.

Ripley1.png
Looks pretty good. The shoes are easy to find and still produced and sold: PF Flyer center-hi tops. Yeah, Sigourney Weaver chose the flightsuit after Ridley Scott gave it to her, when she had complained that the Weylan-Yutani uniforms made her look like "Jackie Onassis in Space."

Bah. It feels like forever since I've updated; unfortunately there has not been much to update. :( Due to my work and the seamstress' real job, everything has been delayed. However, much rejoicing, the shirt and pants are due to completed NLT Jun 1st. I won't have much time to prep for the release of Prometheus, but I think it will be enough. Hopefully by this time Friday I will have pics of the completed suit up!

Charlie

Ok! The shirts are almost done; the seamstress send a picture of my girl's shirt (mine is still getting patches put on).

closeupshirt.jpg

I'm not sure if the snaps will be on the shirt in time; I know I've had a huge time trying to find any that match.

Charlie

Finished!

Well almost. LOL. I want to a quick tea wash with camomille tea to get that slightly off-white, aged look, but otherwise they are done. Here are some pics:

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0610.jpg

IMAG0609.jpg

Here are some with the jacket on:

IMAG0616.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

IMAG0619.jpg

And my lovely wife also decided to get her picture taken:

IMAG0598.jpg

IMAG0603.jpg

IMAG0605.jpg

She is wearing the original version one pants I made. There is not a huge difference, but the V2 fits me better and is a little closer to screen accurate. The biggest difference in the pants in the inclusion of the velcro strip at the bottom of the pants leg, allowing it to be cinched tighter to replicate the movie pictures.

IMAG0621.jpg

I also got the snaps put on both shirts. I wasn't sure based on the screen pictures if bronze or silver was the correct colour. I have ref pics where it could go either way. The bronze ones were available, there was no silver, and although they are a tad big large, the were able to be put on without totally rebuilding the shirt front.

I wasn't able to have them ready in time for the Prometheus premiere, but at least they are all done. Possibly they might be out for Dragon Con this year; we'll have to see how the travel plans go. I have had a lot of fun with this costume and it is definitely the most comfortable to wear one I have. On to the next project though: Warhammer 40K Imperial Commissar!

Charlie

Who made the laces for your jackets? They look great!

Randy (SG-RB here on the RPF) made them. I dyed the ones for my blue jacket.

Speaking of dyeing, I also used a tea dye on the uniforms. I bought some inexpensive chamomille tea from the grocery store, and boiled a 10 bags in a large pot I used for dyeing. Each pair of shirt and pants got soaked in the super hot water for about 15 min. The result: awesome! Each of the shirts and my V2 pants are now a slight off-white. Not quite a cream colour, but not the pristine shiny white they originally were. The shirts and the V2 pants are all 100% cotton. However, the V1 pants are poly/cotton blend, and they didn't take the tea dye very much (if at all). However, my wife doesn't care so much, and honestly, she's not as into the costuming as I am anyway. Hopefully I will be able to get some new pics with the dyed clothing as soon as it stops raining here.

Charlie

Well of course I had to screw things up by messing with them. I had some issues with the W-Y wing patch on my shirt; it was too clean and didn't take the chamomile. As a result: I had to eventually take it off and one of my older run patches is on. It matches the style on my jacket and is a faded out light blue. However, due to some misuse of colouring agents, there are some stains on the front of my shirt. :( It's minimal, and you would probably have to get close to notice but it does bother me a bit. What I think i will have to do is get some colour remover, try to treat those areas VERY carefully, and then do another round of the chamomille tea dye. Right now, the patch is being sewn on. It should be ready tomorrow and I will post a picture of it before I do any changes and hopefully you guys can give some input as to whether the stains add to the look of the shirt or not.

Charlie

Here are some update photos, post tea dye and patch screw up. I had to put it on the mannequin to get the shots, but at least it was sunny outside.

IMAG0626.jpg

IMAG0622.jpg

IMAG0623.jpg

Here is a close up of the patch and the blue streaks that accidently got put on the shirt:

IMAG0624.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

After looking at it, I am going to leave it as is. I have colour remover and more chamomille tea, but it's not worth the risk to me of further errors, plus it doesn't look bad as it stands. The most I might do is a little more chamomille dye on the right side of the outfit. It doesn't seem quite as faded as the left side does.

Here is a close up of the tools I added. Two pens, one Zebra and one Uniball, a Kobal flat tip tweaker, a scribe, and in the arm pocket a Kobalt multitip jeweler's screwdriver. All things I think an engineer would have on him. Heck, I carry most of that while I am at work. :)

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

I think the arm pocket might be a tad small. For some reason, I remember Caine putting a pair of sunglasses into an arm pocket, but I don't remember if it was the shirt pocket or the jacket pocket. I am going to check my screen captures, and if I can't find anything, I'll go rewatch ALIEN.

Charlie

I think the arm pocket might be a tad small. For some reason, I remember Caine putting a pair of sunglasses into an arm pocket, but I don't remember if it was the shirt pocket or the jacket pocket. I am going to check my screen captures, and if I can't find anything, I'll go rewatch ALIEN.

Charlie

I don't think it's visible on screen, but the shades-in-sleeve-pocket was an aspect of Kane's costume throughout production. They can be seen on the Jon Finch set photos (can't place one of those just now), and on some of John Hurt's promotional shots:

Alien_91e25e8f.jpg

I didn't realise this until I'd made my own shirt, by the way - I also made the pocket a bit too narrow (those on the screen shirts are surprisingly large). Good tool choices, anyway!

I haven't any stills (production or behind the scenes) with Hurt wearing the sunglasses. And after rewatching the movie last night, I can definitely say the sleeve pockets are way too small compared to the movie ones. I don't know if I will go and have them reworked. Knowing me, I will do that eventually, but I am ok with them being too small for right now.

Charlie

I've also worked on the belts some. I can't find a close match for the screen belts, but they are some disparities there anyway.

Lambert and Ripley: no belt at all
Ash and Kane: company belts
Parker: personal leather belt
Brett and Dallas: ??

Yes, there does seem to be a lot of leeway regarding the screen belts. The belt you used seems to be the standard 1-1/8" cotton military issue-type (with the friction buckle) it seems to me. Am I correct? My other question is: how vital is the color of the belt itself? I have black (which is used in the film, I believe) but I also have a white one which I think would look better with the white pants and shirt. Another thought would be using a light blue, to match the color of the flight wings. What are your thoughts on this?

He who answers the five questions (three questions)...

-Tyler

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back