Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

WP_20170320_13_36_27_Rich_LI (2).jpg
Revisiting this little guy and finishing it up after a long break...

Hello all,
I bought a Bandai kit from SW Celebration last week after seeing one on display. What an awesome kit! After finding this thread I'm totally inspired. There are some amazing models on here. I've already purchased a lighting kit from Captain Jacks and some of the brass mods too.

My question is about painting and colour. What would you guys recommend buying? Is there a list of the brands/colours you've all used to paint the falcon and the figures? What primer would you recommend too? Reading through the thread there have been a bunch of mentions about painting and weathering but I wondered whether I could give a definitive opinion.

I'm based in the UK, if that helps. I guess I can order a lot online or visit a Hobbycraft.

Thanks guys. I'll share photos of my progress too... and really nice work everyone!

Phil

Hello all,
I bought a Bandai kit from SW Celebration last week after seeing one on display. What an awesome kit! After finding this thread I'm totally inspired. There are some amazing models on here. I've already purchased a lighting kit from Captain Jacks and some of the brass mods too.

My question is about painting and colour. What would you guys recommend buying? Is there a list of the brands/colours you've all used to paint the falcon and the figures? What primer would you recommend too? Reading through the thread there have been a bunch of mentions about painting and weathering but I wondered whether I could give a definitive opinion.

I'm based in the UK, if that helps. I guess I can order a lot online or visit a Hobbycraft.

Thanks guys. I'll share photos of my progress too... and really nice work everyone!

Phil

Hi Phil, i just got back into the scale modeling game after some 20 years myself.

I personally prefer acrylic over oil (i think theres even a disclaimer on the Bandai kits that it suggests using water based paints.
To me oil is just too messy, it has fumes, gets everywhere and takes forever to dry.

I decided to go with Vallejo acrylics.
They produce thicker acylics for brush painting and thinned out acrylics just for airbrush as well.

I always add a little bit of thinner.
More to the brush acrylics than the airbrush acrylics.

For the primer i used Vallejo black primer , although there may be better primers out there.

For the base coat i used Vallejo white grey.
Then i used aged white and hit the edges, the edges of the mandible holes, and certain little areas which looked yellowed in the reference photos.

Also used Vallejo black grey and lightly hit the streaks on the exhaust holes, the rim lip along the engine and the rim of the mandible holes.

For the paneling i used flat red mixed with a tiny bit of grey black.

Neutral grey

Neutral grey mixed with a little white grey.

Sky grey

Sky get with a drop of sky blue.

And sand.

The weather was done with with pastel powder brushed on with a fine semi stiff brush.
Black and rust.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,Im thinking of building the smaller falcon to this one (the box scale one)

Does anyone know if there is a build thread for the tiny falcon which is worth a look? or maybe even a group build?

After all this 1/72 falcon hype im thinking about cheaper alternatives to tide me over.

Can someone please tell me the diameter and depth of the docking collars on this kit?
I'm taking a break from a couple other projects to kitbash my own SW ship. I'd like to include a universal docking point, much like the YT & VCX freighters.
Thanks!

Can someone please tell me the diameter and depth of the docking collars on this kit?

The docking ring cones on the Bandai 144 Falcon are 26mm in diameter at the base or wide point, about 9.6mm in height, and about 20.5mm in diameter at the outer point.

Hey everyone, Im 90% sure im getting the 1/72 scale bandai falcon most likely on the second run around september possibly sooner. Im going to start a new group build thread for that too if everyone wants to come on board, i will be starting the new thread shortly and will post the link here. Hope all you guys are going on the new journey at some point soon too :)

NEW BUILD THREAD HERE:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=279210&p=4280494#post4280494

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
Bit of slow progress but finally got the base coat down on the model.

Question... should I add the water decals and THEN weather or the other way around? Obviously only with one set of water decals I don't want to get it wrong.

Any thoughts?

I thought I'd finally post my completed Falcon here!
Stock kit with only Tirydium Models lighting added.
I tried to be subtle but still think that some of the streaking may have turned out a bit too harsh.
I was trying to practice many techniques so I can be ready for the PG 1/72! Thanks to everyone on the forums for the fantastic builds and ideas.
Thoughts?

QFDeUkv.jpg

XejWOpC.jpg

R89uoLQ.jpg

VVrTgG6.jpg

v6EGoiR.jpg

5v1i5Zy.jpg

pfIVm26.jpg

pkiueoF.jpg

5Y1ANeW.jpg

Ez4PBAZ.jpg

dCoEPQs.jpg

wO10Yix.jpg

cNvdqVD.jpg

vsvcHRj.jpg

WTrh6MF.jpg

A4doXIK.jpg

o2dM3Qk.jpg

UDwkVzY.jpg

p7xKzhA.jpg

nk2IQHE.jpg

qhyaMeK.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back