Blade Runner 2049

One thing that strikes me as odd in the trailer, is Jared Leto's eyes.

In the original, the replicants were lit so that occasionally you'd see the reflection off their retinas. It was a subtle and interesting way to convey that there was something different or off about them. (As an aside, I don't remember seeing this effect even slightly on Deckard)

It looks like Leto plays a replicant, based on the eyes, possibly birthing a bunch of illicit siblings. But the eyes don't come off as that interesting in-camera effect as the original. More like he's got glaucoma.

Of course, for all I know, his character might have glaucoma...

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-12%20at%2006.44.05_zpsxgxos1vg.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-12%20at%2006.44.21_zpsjjpr38jm.png

J

I have to say watching the trailer, listening to the alternate Vangelis theme made my hair's stand. Any idea if it will be like that all the way through, I hope so the music was so important in the original - love the scene when Roy kills Tyrell and goes down in the elevator afterwards?
Just looking at that last shot of Sean Young - She really was stunning in the original.

If BR 2049 just borrows music from Blade Runner it will completely miss what made Vangelis' score so memorable.

What made Blade Runner's score so great is that it blended hauntingly into the rich tapestry of diegetic sounds. Think of when Deckard is going through the animal market with the synthetic Erhu playing as he walks past the ostriches. Or how the completely bizarre use of "Damask Rose" completely informs the character of the sector and comes to a chilling crescendo as Zhora is about to strangle Deckard with his own necktie. Or when Batty is chasing Deckard at the end - that weird yawning note that punctuates the sequence and overlaps Roy Batty howling like a wolf. Or when "Blade Runner Blues" starts and the police siren rolls over seemlessly after the first few notes. Or, in the same sequence, as we first see Pris, when the lower notes drag out into the sound of a truck going by. This is the stuff that made Blade Runner pure poetry on screen. If BR 2049 simply uses music and musical cues from the original and doesn't create the same tapestry of sound it will be pointless and shameful.

Last edited:
Ford has stated he overshot his mark and got into the sweet spot where the lighting created that effect for Sean Young.

With all the re-shoots to fix errors like Deckard's mouth not matching the dialogue in the snake shop, and the horrible wig on Zhora's stunt double, if this shot was an error, it would have been fixed. Darkening his eyes would have been the easiest fix of them all, and it wasn't done.

With all the re-shoots to fix errors like Deckard's mouth not matching the dialogue in the snake shop, and the horrible wig on Zhora's stunt double, if this shot was an error, it would have been fixed. Darkening his eyes would have been the easiest fix of them all, and it wasn't done.

Taking Ford at his word, I suspect Scott left the error in on purpose is very possible, and I'm fine with that, I don't view it as definitive Deck is a Rep.
Holden briefly has glow eyes I believe as well for a frame or two.

First cut I watched had the narration... then I watched without... then the final cut.... then every documentary I could find.

I hated the narration, will never watch that version again.
Agreed. However, I do think the theatrical cut has its place. Even though the Final cut is VASTLY superior, I felt my experience was enhanced by having previously seen the theater version. I had background information (about scenes & characters) in my head, providing insight that someone who hadn't seen the original film wouldn't have had.

But like you, I haven't watched the theatrical cut since the first Director's Cut was released.

- - - Updated - - -

Holden briefly has glow eyes I believe as well for a frame or two.
Correct, it's clearly visible in the 'Leon interrogation' scene. Hence, my personal theory that all of the Blade Runners are replicants. ;)

In the book, their was a whole fake police station staffed by replicants/androids. Deckard was not sure at one point whether or not he was one. That was part of the paranoia of the novel, and the discovery of what it means to be human. Deckard suspected that one of his fellow cops, a cold blooded killer, was not human because he appeared to have no empathy at all. It turned out that he WAS human, which rocked Deckard and made him question who he was and what he was doing. I hope that element of Dick's book is part of the plot mystery of the new movie.

Ridley Scott is a replicant!!!

replicscott.jpg

"The purpose of this story as I saw it was that in his job of hunting and killing these replicants, Deckard becomes progressively dehumanized. At the same time, the replicants are being perceived as becoming more human. Finally, Deckard must question what he is doing, and really what is the essential difference between him and them? And, to take it one step further, who is he if there is no real difference?" -Philip K. Dick

And all the screenplay writers never went there either, nor did Ford.
Fancher says the question should be asked, but not answered. That's elegance.
He helped write this one, granted his writing credits beyond BR are not much to brag about.
But perhaps he will have kept Scott in check on this matter.

It was Scott, hired to DIRECT the film that ham handedly put in a unicorn clip, jarringly cut into the film later, fitting like a ballet dancer's foot into a clown shoe, and made decrees years later.

Just because you repliCAN doesn't mean you should.

I believe it's Scott's ego that stepped over the line. The man is brilliant and I love deeply many of his films and others are a complete mess.
However ALL always are visually majesty.

I do not want to see BR "Prometheus-ized" but they don't talk to me for some reason.

Last edited:
About Indy V: With no source at all, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that "they" said Dr.Jones wouldn't die in Indy V. Also, the Young Indiana Jones TV series is still canon, so if they kill ole Indy that would ignore the show (which I wouldn't be too surprised about, but still disappointed).

I seriously doubt he came back for the money. Harrison Ford "hated" Han Solo as well and only agreed to do TFA if they killed him off, I guarantee Deckard is going to go the same way. I'm just waiting for them to kill off Indy.

I haven't heard anything about Harrison not liking the Deckard character, his dislike for Han is famous and well known though. As for Indy, I doubt they'll kill him off, at least not because Ford hates Indy, as I recall he really likes Indy and has liked playing Indy more than he ever did Han.

Spielberg said he won't kill off Indy. However, for BR2 I am worried they will retire Deckard. I don't like to see my hero get killed, like they did to Han. I read and I cannot remember where or was it a JJ interview, it was JJ's idea to kill off Han and he had to consult Ford about it. But that is set and done so, not going to discuss it further. For me, I know I will like BR2 if they let Deckard walk away at the end of the movie.

I haven't heard anything about Harrison not liking the Deckard character, his dislike for Han is famous and well known though. As for Indy, I doubt they'll kill him off, at least not because Ford hates Indy, as I recall he really likes Indy and has liked playing Indy more than he ever did Han.
I had the impression that Ford was interested in Deckard as a character. He liked the departure from the traditional "hero" role to something darker and more morally ambiguous. He at least cared enough about the character that he was very much against doing the voice-over. If you look at some of the extra documentaries on the Blu-Ray releases you can hear him recording the voice-over and saying under his breath how much he hated it. Unless I imagined it, I think he deliberately made the voice-over schlocky hoping it would be discarded.

I'm not a di ehard Blade Runner fan but weren't replicants only around for a few years then they shut down? Deckard looks old in this movie which means a larger gap than that which means he is NOT a replicant.

I'm not a di ehard Blade Runner fan but weren't replicants only around for a few years then they shut down? Deckard looks old in this movie which means a larger gap than that which means he is NOT a replicant.

Replicants are synthetic humans,...they age also,....there's a few,....like Rachel who have no expiry date (supposedly)

J

For me, the last version of the film I watched was the 'Director's Cut' of the film. However, I have been considering on watching all four edits of the film back to back in what I would call 'The Voight-Kampff Test' (originally, I thought of calling it 'The Tears In Rain Challenge').

But on the topic of Deckard being a replicant or not, I just don't see him as being one. I mean, when it comes to Rachel, Roy and the other replicants, they all see to act more... Well... Mechanical. I could be misinterpreting that, but there's something about the performances of those who play the replicants that contrasts those who play human characters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If Deckard is a replicant he's a pretty lousy one.
He (& the other Blade Runners) would be, like, Nexus-7's; designed without the enhanced physical capabilities, & no termination date, to allow them to more easily pass as human. :ninja

For me, the last version of the film I watched was the 'Director's Cut' of the film. However, I have been considering on watching all four edits of the film back to back in what I would call 'The Voight-Kampff Test' (originally, I thought of calling it 'The Tears In Rain Challenge').

But on the topic of Deckard being a replicant or not, I just don't see him as being one. I mean, when it comes to Rachel, Roy and the other replicants, they all see to act more... Well... Mechanical. I could be misinterpreting that, but there's something about the performances of those who play the replicants that contrasts those who play human characters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ultimately Deck as rep destroys the story's beauty of the man who was becoming a machine, has his humanity saved by a so called "machine" that was truly becoming human.

Batty does say to him "You people wouldn't believe...." Clearly identifying him as a normal person.. By then Batty would have known if Deckard was a replicant brother having been in close contact, breaking his fingers, stalking him, saving him. Deckard exhibited nothing but human traits of weakness in many ways, and perhaps the worst... to become comfortable with killing. Though he was nearly defeated many times. Zhora nearly killed him, Leon surely was going to, and Batty had him whooped.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back