A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

I rewatched Prometheus the other day and realized the film would have been great with just changing three characters: Charlie, Fifield, and Millburn. Those three are so poorly realized, written, and performed it's hugely distracting. They make all the WTF decisions and actions that make them entirely devoid of credibility.

There's a bunch of WTF stuff in the film, but the behavior of the characters makes the least sense to me. Fifield and Millburn in particular just seemed like they were lifted out of, like, any Friday the 13th film. But even some of the nameless characters act in a really dumb way, as I recall. The movie was a bit opaque in what it was doing, in terms of explaining what the black goo was, what all the critters were and where they came from, etc.

Anyway, maybe the film makes more sense if you rewatch it knowing what's going to happen, but I just thought it was a film with a lot of potential that was either unrealized or frustrated.

I'll be honest, after the last one, I haven't paid much attention to Scott's film, and am not all that interested in it. I thought Prometheus was a total mess, so, other than glossy visuals, what's there to be excited about with this film?

Blomkamp's preproduction stuff looked interesting, but I've found him to be a weak storyteller on the whole, and when the project was "postponed," I figured "Meh. Guess that's done..."

Now it just seems like that's been confirmed.

To me, I think the Alien franchise is basically just...dead.

100% agree with you.

As far as im concerned scott has lost all credibility after prometheus, a movie i watched hoping and wishing for the end credits to come up so i could get the hell outta there. Ill never watch it again ...

I'm not even all that emotionally tied to the franchise, either. I really like the first two films. They're very different, but they fit together nicely. I think they helped create a really interesting little universe that I'd like to see explored further.

But every subsequent cinematic exploration has been severely lacking. And I include the Alien vs. Predator stuff, which should have been an easy slam dunk.

The comics are what I go to now for an Alien/Aliens fix. The rest? Meh. It's interesting, because I feel very similarly about the Terminator series. Solid first two films. Subsequent stuff has mostly been lackluster and a waste of great potential. Some of the ancillary material is more entertaining (e.g. Sarah Connor Chronicles).

But, you know, if they screw it up...meh. I don't really care. I'm not invested in it the way I am with, say, Star Wars or Indiana Jones or any number of other properties.

Yup, seemed like Ridley said something to the effect that he had shut down Niell's project like a year ago or something, and that he wanted the franchise for himself now. Something like that. If you did some reading between the lines with both Scott and Blomkamp in interviews since, it was pretty obvious that Scott had shut him down.

I think it's a shame. While I agree that he hasn't lived up to District 9 since District 9, I still enjoyed both Elysium and Chappie and I was excited to see what he might do with the film. He still has the potential to create a story that will blow us away as geeks, so I look forward to seeing whatever he makes next.

But yeah, it ain't gonna be an Alien film. That ship has sailed folks.

Mr Cameron and Scott seem to have a thing going on at the minute with their past universes and as JC seems to be getting back control of The Terminator universe. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that he may want to flex his muscle`s and get his own sequel to Aliens done and dusted. It certainly would throw a spanner in RS`s plan to dominate the universe.

He certainly has the status to walk into the Studio and say I`m not concerned with Ridley`s timeline, it`s all set after his stuff anyway, lets do it.

Last edited:
Ridley Scott Says Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Won't Happen

“There was never a script. It was an idea which was evolved on, I think, a ten-page pitch."

And artwork done by Neill himself (Sound familiar Scott?), the optimistic support of the cast of ALIENS and even Tom Woodruff Jr. dressing up as Hicks, scars and all from his work. Why do I get a sneaking suspicion that Ridley Scott joined this film as producer for no other reason than to dismantle it?

It was an idea? ALL MOVIES START WITH AN IDEA!

Also: "Fox decided that they didn’t want to do it." and he's acting like he didn't really know if he was "supposed" to produce it?

Liar, liar, old-vain-man pants on fire I say. Shenanigans! NB's images got more hype in just a couple days than Covenant got in a lot longer.

As much as I like the franchise, I've half a mind to not see AC.

Ridley Scott Says Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Won't Happen

“There was never a script. It was an idea which was evolved on, I think, a ten-page pitch."

And artwork done by Neill himself (Sound familiar Scott?), the optimistic support of the cast of ALIENS and even Tom Woodruff Jr. dressing up as Hicks, scars and all from his work. Why do I get a sneaking suspicion that Ridley Scott joined this film as producer for no other reason than to dismantle it?

It was an idea? ALL MOVIES START WITH AN IDEA!

Actually no. Some movies, like ALIEN³ started with a release date. :p

As much as I like the franchise, I've half a mind to not see AC.

To quote the late, the great Bill Paxton. "You can count me out"

I was in awe as NB nearly pulled off the heist of the century with his brilliant game plan but the franchise belongs to Scott and when the big dog barks....

It was also interesting to see how many people including myself were ready to totally eject the canon established in half the franchise just so we could play Marines again.

It was also interesting to see how many people including myself were ready to totally eject the canon established in half the franchise just so we could play Marines again.

Just having Ripley, Hicks, Newt and even Bishop continue their story was enough for me to give it a chance. We could have Ripley give us one more go, action or not, but now Ridley is talking about 'de-aging' Sigourney as his prequel films progress.

And for all my talk about not acknowledging A3 and A:R, Ridley seems intent on not acknowledging anything post-ALIEN in his movies. Like I highly doubt we'll see any indication or hinting of a Queen in Covenant or subsequent prequel movies.

Just having Ripley, Hicks, Newt and even Bishop continue their story was enough for me to give it a chance. We could have Ripley give us one more go, action or not, but now Ridley is talking about 'de-aging' Sigourney as his prequel films progress.

And for all my talk about not acknowledging A3 and A:R, Ridley seems intent on not acknowledging anything post-ALIEN in his movies. Like I highly doubt we'll see any indication or hinting of a Queen in Covenant or subsequent prequel movies.

Yet Ridley does acknowledge "Weyland-Yutani" for example.

A3, A:R = hypersleep nightmares ;)

Yet Ridley does acknowledge "Weyland-Yutani" for example.

A3, A:R = hypersleep nightmares ;)

Huh... I never noticed that. Must have been a strange time at that point in the company's history.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, our Earnings Report indicates that we are so broke that we can no longer afford to use the letter D on all of our products. We have to cut back it's usage."
"I vote for cutting it from our towing program."

Huh... I never noticed that. Must have been a strange time at that point in the company's history.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, our Earnings Report indicates that we are so broke that we can no longer afford to use the letter D on all of our products. We have to cut back it's usage."
"I vote for cutting it from our towing program."

Indeed :p I only noticed myself 2-3 years ago. Cameron added a D to the company name and it has been that way ever since.

Perhaps it wasn't economics that dictated the removal of the letter D, but a focus group.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back