Find Molds 1/72 Naboo Starfighter

Hunk a Junk those look fantastic. The foil really looks great I think I'm going to have to pick up the AMT 1/48 one. I got a box of the 1/48 Vulture droids for $11 bucks from hobby shop near me. So the Queen's starship is an estes rocket? I'll have to see if I can find one of those. That same hobby shop recently had a Darth Vader rocket and a Death Star one in their clearance bin for around $25 IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Estes also made larger scale versions of both the N-1 and the vulture droid that make good foundations for conversions. Given the N1's size, I wish someone (Bandai) would do a 1/32 scale version.

The Estes Darth Vader Advanced TIE rocket (the one with the plastic ship, not the 2D balsa model...) is essentially the same scale as the AMT TIE fighters. You just have to correct for it's having a rocket tube up its keester! Otherwise the detailing is quite nice.

I ended up picking up some of the other Estes models (like Maul's ship) to use as 3D references to support building scale replicas. Shapes like the Queen's ship are tough so something physical can help 'decode' it.

R/ Robert

The Estes Darth Vader Advanced TIE rocket (the one with the plastic ship, not the 2D balsa model...) is essentially the same scale as the AMT TIE fighters. You just have to correct for it's having a rocket tube up its keester! Otherwise the detailing is quite nice.

I ended up picking up some of the other Estes models (like Maul's ship) to use as 3D references to support building scale replicas. Shapes like the Queen's ship are tough so something physical can help 'decode' it.

R/ Robert

That reminds me. I converted the Estes Sith Infiltrator too. I'll take some snaps of that. The Estes kits aren't perfect, but since AMT wasn't stepping up it was the only way to go.

I spent a bit looking up Estes Star Wars stuff in google images. I was amazed how much stuff they actually had. That Trade Federation control ship looks like a good basis for detailing also

That's what I thought (I'm peripherally in the business too) but I wanted your take. Here's my opinion. The "practical effects" emphasis was/is really just a dogwhistle to the fans saying, "Hey, we're not making movies like the ones you hate - the prequels -- but like the ones you like." But it's disingenuous and dishonest. They can't come right out and admit they don't like the company founder's movies, so it's coded in this "practical effects" nonsense. What's a shame is that it throws all the hard work the artists did on the PT under the bus, IMHO.

You are right. But let's face it - marketing is; by its very nature, dishonest and disingenuous.

Your models look great! I especially like the variations in the foil on your queen's ship. How big is that model?

Thanks! The Bare Metal Foil was an experiment for me, but I know I cut up the sections to avoid wrinkles (there are still more than I'd like). It lays on thick on some of the smaller details. I can't remember what I did to get the variations. Those off-color sections might actually be thin tinfoil with spray adhesive. From snout to tail, the model is 18" long -- a nice size for the subject. Fantastic Plastic sold a revised resin version of the Estes kit (they claim it's 1/222 scale) that looked pretty nice, but I got all the Estes kits on clearance at some outlet mall in the valley for next to nothing. The Queen's ship probably cost me $12 total, including the foil and the stock wooden base.

You are right. But let's face it - marketing is; by its very nature, dishonest and disingenuous.

No doubt. As a fan of the PT (sue me, I choose to focus on its positives instead of its negatives) I hate to see the work so obviously disregarded by the very people who are now collecting big paychecks because of George's vision. Okay, end of rant.

I love the vehicle designs in the prequels, even more so after the lackluster stuff we got in the Force Awakens. Most of the better designs actually never made it into the movie

I love the vehicle designs in the prequels, even more so after the lackluster stuff we got in the Force Awakens. Most of the better designs actually never made it into the movie

Totally. Other than a couple of duds ( can't stand Count Dooku's solar sailor)

But All of the republic and naboo stuff was great!

Blakeh1, Have you considered trying to convert the large Estes kit? I have one that I've been meaning to do, but I could always use some motivation to get started on it. They have some available on evil bay. The proportions seem a little off -- maybe stretched too far lengthwise -- but otherwise it's pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTES-STAR-...569611?hash=item3f4cfcb58b:g:6c4AAOSwl8NVWqnf

- - - Updated - - -

Totally. Other than a couple of duds ( can't stand Count Dooku's solar sailor)

I'd still buy a Solar Sailer (minus the sail part) over a First Order TIE any day. At least it wasn't a cut and paste design.

Nice thing is, with Estes you can build the model and also the rocket (they usually come with a nose cone and tube, so you still have a functional "launch vehicle".) The model is just a 'skin'... ;^)

I used three of the Vader TIE kits to have some fun with my kids; we all built the rockets, decorated as they wanted and then went out for a shoot day where the local rocketry club meets.

R/ Robert

Blakeh1, Have you considered trying to convert the large Estes kit? I have one that I've been meaning to do, but I could always use some motivation to get started on it. They have some available on evil bay. The proportions seem a little off -- maybe stretched too far lengthwise -- but otherwise it's pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTES-STAR-...569611?hash=item3f4cfcb58b:g:6c4AAOSwl8NVWqnf

- - - Updated - - -

I'd still buy a Solar Sailer (minus the sail part) over a First Order TIE any day. At least it wasn't a cut and paste design.

I might. I'd have to wait a while budget wise before I'd be able to pick one up though.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back