Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

I just got a 20% off coupon for spirit Halloween store. Might hit it up this weekend and see what other props/helmets etc they have there.

Also so might hit up my target for a fett helmet. You guys are killing it.

I I need to get busy on my trooper helmet.

Re: Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

I just opted to do the flat "stunt lense" look with some transparent black ripped from vinyl file folders that you can typically find in the school supply/ office section of big box stores.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! which site?

Now is the time to get me of these if you want them. All of the Targets near me just restocked these for Halloween.

Got some more work done on the Boba helmet.

Masked for paint. I made my own cardboard mask for hte lower cheeks so it would be easier to get the curved line. It's also reusable and easier than taping. I just held a piece of paper against the inside of the front part of the helmet and traced the outline of the cheek, cut it out, traced it to cardboard, and taped in place.
img_4125.jpg
img_4126.jpg

I think I got a nice bluish green color for the back. Its a mixture of Rustoleum Satin Sapphire and Krylon Hunter Green. Looks a little too blue though.
img_4129.jpg

Also, before you may have remembered I said how I used plasti dip for my masking of damage. Well, when I unmasked my mandibles part, the plasti dip I hadn't removed came off with the tape. It was very easy actually. So even though I said I wasn't gonna do that again, I am tempted to repaint the back half and do that since it was pretty easily and cleanly removed with the masking tape.
img_4131.jpg

The brighter silver is the part that was newly removed.
img_4132.jpg
img_4133.jpg

Here it is, just awaiting some more damage.
img_4127.jpg
img_4128.jpg

The reflection makes the lower cheek look a lot lighter, but is the same as the dome.
I also missed masking a part on the back section near the bottom, but if I re do that part, It wont matter.

Last edited:
Anyone tried fiberglassing the inside for strength and to hold it together? Im a little worried about the heat warping the plastic though. Also, i want to fill that gap around the brow from the pieces fitting together.

Finally (nearly) done painting by Target Boba. Wow, that took a lot longer than expected. Gives me a lot of respect for the guys who do these so well on TDH. I may still shorten the RF stalk a bit (I think I overdid the extension slightly) and add a bit more general weathering and missed details, but it's been a fun project! I used mainly Model Master enamels, since I don't really have any experience with them. Tried to get the right colors off the shelf, but ended up having to mix most of them, and still didn't quite hit them on the nose. As a learning project, though, I feel it went pretty well. Who knows, I may repaint the whole thing one day, haha.

Mainly a topical paint job. I used a variety of templates from the folks at TDH as a guide for the first pass of color in each zone, and freehanded the subsequent layers, so nothing's truly exact. I stenciled the decals by transferring templates to blue tape with graphite paper, which turned out to be a really easy easy to get them done. I haven't decided how I want to tint the visor yet, so there's just a piece of fabric behind it for now.

The dent shape was corrected somewhat with Apoxie sculpt, and the rangefinder stalk extended with brass as I posted a couple pages back. At some point, I'd like to fix the shape of the RF, too.

20150921-IMG_9985_zpswmxl1uyv.jpg 20150921-IMG_9986_zpsaudltikz.jpg 20150921-IMG_9989_zpsmozw98cz.jpg 20150921-IMG_9990_zpsjvhs8bcq.jpg

Finally (nearly) done painting by Target Boba. Wow, that took a lot longer than expected. Gives me a lot of respect for the guys who do these so well on TDH. I may still shorten the RF stalk a bit (I think I overdid the extension slightly) and add a bit more general weathering and missed details, but it's been a fun project! I used mainly Model Master enamels, since I don't really have any experience with them. Tried to get the right colors off the shelf, but ended up having to mix most of them, and still didn't quite hit them on the nose. As a learning project, though, I feel it went pretty well. Who knows, I may repaint the whole thing one day, haha.

Mainly a topical paint job. I used a variety of templates from the folks at TDH as a guide for the first pass of color in each zone, and freehanded the subsequent layers, so nothing's truly exact. I stenciled the decals by transferring templates to blue tape with graphite paper, which turned out to be a really easy easy to get them done. I haven't decided how I want to tint the visor yet, so there's just a piece of fabric behind it for now.

The dent shape was corrected somewhat with Apoxie sculpt, and the rangefinder stalk extended with brass as I posted a couple pages back. At some point, I'd like to fix the shape of the RF, too.

View attachment 531604 View attachment 531601 View attachment 531602 View attachment 531603

That is beautiful. Really Good Job

What are you guys doing for the visor on the Fett helmet? I am about to repaint mine, and I'd hate to pull that one out. Can you buy tinting in stores? And would it be better to tint the inside or outside?

Finally (nearly) done painting by Target Boba. Wow, that took a lot longer than expected. Gives me a lot of respect for the guys who do these so well on TDH. I may still shorten the RF stalk a bit (I think I overdid the extension slightly) and add a bit more general weathering and missed details, but it's been a fun project! I used mainly Model Master enamels, since I don't really have any experience with them...

View attachment 531604 View attachment 531601 View attachment 531602 View attachment 531603

A good paint job makes all the difference in the world! You mentioned using Model Master enamels, but mixing up your own colors. Which paints did you start with? I think it turned out beautifully! Did you do any other mods besides paint and RF stalk?

SB

What are you guys doing for the visor on the Fett helmet? I am about to repaint mine, and I'd hate to pull that one out. Can you buy tinting in stores? And would it be better to tint the inside or outside?

Dremel it out, replace with a pre-tinted visor. The one in there WILL break, it's brittle as anything.

@StevenBills

If I recall correctly... (Model Master unless otherwise noted). First layer and stencils airbrushed, everything else with paintbrush
Dome: Dunkelgrun RLM 82 + white
Red: British Crimson + black + blue
Back Blue: Dark Sea Blue + Russian Armor Green
Back "concrete": Testors Tan + Gunship Gray
Cheek: black
Grey detail: Gunship Gray
Silver detail: Chrome Silver
Yellow: Testors Yellow+ Testors Red (more red and blue for fade)
Rt. Ear: Testors Tan + Italian Dark Brown + Black
Lt. Ear: Dome mix + Russian Armor Green

All this on top of a coat of rattlecan primer

And thanks for the kind words

I got around to finishing up most of the weathering on the helmet. I looked at some references and used a metallic pen to outline where it would go. Then i just used a brush to paint it in where I needed to. After this, I just need to weather the kill stripes, extend the rangefinder, and do the side pieces.

I felt like I was drawing a map of someplace
img_4140.jpg

Dark grey areas filled
img_4144.jpg

img_4145.jpg

img_4149.jpg

img_4147.jpg

img_4148.jpg

img_4146.jpg

img_4150.jpg

img_4151.jpg

Kill stripes. I did this by brush and I think I got a decent fade.
img_4153.jpg

img_4152.jpg

Damn!!! I want you to paint mine!! Great job.

Wow ChickenHaunt, I've been holding off getting one, but seeing your results brings me back, doh! Did you use decals from TDH for the caps? that's some incredible work man!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back