Rob Bottin!

I think Rob Bottin was a great make up designer. His work on LEGEND,Howling,Twighlight Zone,Thing,Total Recall,Robo Cop was amazing. It's a shame he has left the art. Does anyone know what happened to him. Last I heard he was selling real estate. I also saw him on Stars fantastic flesh. If anyone knows anything else please share.

don't know about rob bottin, but his main sculptor Henry Alvarez passed away. henry worked on total recall, robocop, and other films with bottin.

Alvarez was an amazing sculptor he will be missed. Miles Teves sculpted some of his stuff too I think. I just liked the look and design of some of Rob's stuff like Darkness from Legend,Bonefaced Rabbit.etc Thanks

definitely. i have loved robs design work and approach for years and he was one of my major inspirations that got me working in films :D

PS carluccidesign . . . if on the off chance this is Lou as in THE LOU, then hats off to you as well my friend and i also love your work as well :D

Nooooo! tragic! REALESTATE!!?? what a sad loss to the movie industry he was always a hero to me one of the classics! come back ROB America has enough realestate agents!!!
ABS

Yeah! long live tru special effects!!! my draw dropped when I first saw the thing (the proper one!) they could never live up to that!! awsome

ABS

can kinda see why he came out of the industry . . I recently watched a doc on the making of the thing. . it nearly killed him . . practically had a nervous break down . . but when you see what he did on that movie. . shattering! ABS

Yeah, that doc is on the special feature of the movie. Loved it. Funny "thing" is, when he was talking about the experiences he had doing the movie, he seemed so enthusiastic. Even the parts that where obviously mentally and physically draining. Which shocks me that he retired. I've always been a huge fan. and wondered what happened to him.

I can actually understand why he retired. When so much went to that CGI crap, I bet it just wasn't fun anymore. I watch these CGI movie effects and think it's sad. When I get out old movies with practical effects everything seems so much more believeable. Instead of making video games match reality, films have made "reality" mrch the video games. Very sad.

Retired!!!? Man, that's a shame. The original The Thing is on my list of top 5 best creatures ever!
When Bennings moans at the camera before they start him on fire... wow!!!

I cant speak for the whole industry - But I was in the generation (Im 36) that wanted to become VFX aritst because we watched THE MAKING OF RETURN OF THE JEDI, etc... and was amazed by the awesome puppets.... then but the time I GOT to the industry (When I was 23) it was all digital (save a few shops)

I dont imagine there were many kids in the 80s watching the Rancor thinking "When I grow up, I want to sit in a dark room in front of a computer for 10 hours a day making movies."

I cant speak for the whole industry - But I was in the generation (Im 36) that wanted to become VFX aritst because we watched THE MAKING OF RETURN OF THE JEDI, etc... and was amazed by the awesome puppets.... then but the time I GOT to the industry (When I was 23) it was all digital (save a few shops)

I dont imagine there were many kids in the 80s watching the Rancor thinking "When I grow up, I want to sit in a dark room in front of a computer for 10 hours a day making movies."

It's not just you. The IDT department (special effects) at the art institute in pittsburgh was up in arms when the new trilogy hit with all the CGI and the school made them take 3D Studio max classes (not to mention the computer animation department was taking chunks of their budget too). But you had 2 different kinds of kids, animation was for folks who didn't think of the sfx end of it but wanted to make animated movies and videogames and the kids in the basement were covered with fake blood all day long lol

For those who commented that much of Robs sculpting was done by others like Henry Alvarez, I would beg to differ. Rob was a good friend and I spent a lot of time in his shop (rather, his garage in El Monte) during the late 70's and 80's. I watched him draw and sculpt and I have never seen that kind of talent before or since. His concept sketches would appear on the page fully realized, like the material was already in his mind in every detail. Same with his sculpting. Henry was very talented but never reached the level of genius in Robs work. He was no director or administrator, his talent was evident in everything he created.

- - - Updated - - -

yup, a lot of the stuff we think rob did was actually done by others, but thats true of all the big fx names,
Not even partially true.

Clear this up for me. How do you correctly pronounce Rob's last name? :)

For those who commented that much of Robs sculpting was done by others like Henry Alvarez, I would beg to differ. Rob was a good friend and I spent a lot of time in his shop (rather, his garage in El Monte) during the late 70's and 80's. I watched him draw and sculpt and I have never seen that kind of talent before or since. His concept sketches would appear on the page fully realized, like the material was already in his mind in every detail. Same with his sculpting. Henry was very talented but never reached the level of genius in Robs work. He was no director or administrator, his talent was evident in everything he created.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even partially true.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back