BTTF Marty Sunglasses

We're not adding the logo of another company. The only thing we could do is add some other text there for effect, whether it's "MAGNOLI" or even "MARTY" for example, in the same style as the original Zeiss logo. Either that or keep it plain. Let me know what you guys think.

Emma, anything you can provide in the way of photos and measurements especially, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Magnoli

I agree with maton's idea about leaving a small indent for a logo sticker to be placed. Another member on here could make and sell them. Or even just a file be made for people to make them themselves.

I see it all the time at stores that sell cheap products trying to pass it off as another. Being that this is a reproduction, I think not using the name but using a close one isnt a bad thing. Weiss or seiss would also work for me.

seiss.jpg

Exactly. Those are stores that sell cheap knockoffs from sweatshops. That's them though. Besides. There probably is a possibility he could get into legal issues over the logo even if it is not exact. I've a feeling that is why he would not replicate the logo.

Would be pretty cool to make it say "OUTATIME" in the Zeiss logo style (probably too long though) or even just BTTF. MCFLY would be pretty rad.

For measurements contact TheRealMcFly. He has the correct pair of Zeiss glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shape of the guard on the Zeiss glasses is totally different from what you find on Ray Ban's aviators and other similar knock-offs, although they do appear similar at a distance. A true replica of these shades are not just an off-the-shelf generic aviator painted black with a similarly shaped guard.

But would it be a true replica, or just some black aviators with a similar guard on top? There are many nuances of the correct frame that diverge from a typical aviator style. As an example, observe how the metal over the nose is uniquely shaped/placed. Also, the nosepads use a bayonet style mount that is exclusively Zeiss. These are just a few things I think a replica should 'get.' I am happy to provide the correct dimensions.

We expect the lenses to be mirrored, but are they really? They look mirrored in the 1955 exterior promo shots but in the movie itself I see a plain dark lens reflecting studio lights. A shame we never see them in 1955, could be a West Germany joke on a deleted science reel.

Rather than leaving the bridge bar blank, which I really wouldn't mind as you can always add a logo if you wanted, I don't mind the MCFLY idea! I think that's pretty neat actually! Also instead of West Germany, it could be replaced by HILL VALLEY. Could be a fun little detail. image.jpg

The shape of the guard on the Zeiss glasses is totally different from what you find on Ray Ban's aviators and other similar knock-offs, although they do appear similar at a distance. A true replica of these shades are not just an off-the-shelf generic aviator painted black with a similarly shaped guard.

But would it be a true replica, or just some black aviators with a similar guard on top? There are many nuances of the correct frame that diverge from a typical aviator style. As an example, observe how the metal over the nose is uniquely shaped/placed. Also, the nosepads use a bayonet style mount that is exclusively Zeiss. These are just a few things I think a replica should 'get.' I am happy to provide the correct dimensions.

We expect the lenses to be mirrored, but are they really? They look mirrored in the 1955 exterior promo shots but in the movie itself I see a plain dark lens reflecting studio lights. A shame we never see them in 1955, could be a West Germany joke on a deleted science reel.

Now that you mention it, I do think that they had plain black lenses instead of mirrored.

I really like the MCFLY Hill Valley idea for the logo. These would be true replicas as close as we can get, except for the logo. Also, we'll really have to nail down the lens type. This may be one of those cases where truly screen accurate is not what people have in their minds for these. They might be expecting mirror lenses regardless of what the originals had.

I really like the MCFLY Hill Valley idea for the logo. These would be true replicas as close as we can get, except for the logo. Also, we'll really have to nail down the lens type. This may be one of those cases where truly screen accurate is not what people have in their minds for these. They might be expecting mirror lenses regardless of what the originals had.

If they are truly black lenses, then you could add in the description stating evidence and facts to assure what they are getting is screen accurate.

I like it. How convenient that West Germany and Hill Valley both end in a lowercase y.

Would it be possible to keep ZEISS West Germany by simply eliminating a few of the vertical lines? That was the compromise on some replica on Han Solo Hero scopes.

The problem is that it would still say "ZEISS" but in what would basically be a modified font. If you wanted it to look the same, but not say ZEISS, we could change it to something like 83188 in the same font. That would immediately look like ZEISS, but be a completely different text.

I think that looks interesting and really like how the "MCFLY Hill Valley" logo looks too. If there's the dedication there to working with TheRealMcFly on getting a replica of these done right, then I wouldn't mind getting a pair. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back