Star Trek TOS Phaser-Controlled Rock Mood Light

I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts they have the AA molds and modified one. I bet it can be done. As soon as mine arrives I’ll see if we can.

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

That sounds great!! Yeah I really do want to get this also. We will keep in touch.

I've had a chance to play with mine a little tonight and the lighting features with the rock are fun. My only complaint is the sound of the phaser 1 is extremely low. I don't know if this is a problem with my unit or if they all sound this way. I'll wait till a few other people post their reviews.

I've had a chance to play with mine a little tonight and the lighting features with the rock are fun. My only complaint is the sound of the phaser 1 is extremely low. I don't know if this is a problem with my unit or if they all sound this way. I'll wait till a few other people post their reviews.

Does it fire from the bottom button or from the wheel on top?

Have they said anything about the tricorder? Would love to complete the set.

-Rylo

Agreed. I wouldn’t mind the phaser by itself, but this just item isn’t going on my shelf. Until perhaps it goes on massive clearance, and even then I’ll just keep the phaser.

Bring on the tricorder.

Have they said anything about the tricorder? Would love to complete the set.

-Rylo

Below is directly from the TWC faq section of the mood rock.

We are Trek fans too and we would love to complete the set, so the thought of working on bringing a Tricorder to market is never far from our minds.

However, we haven’t decided definitely either way yet. To make the Tricorder with the functionality we would like to put in it is a large commercial project and we are not sure of the size of the market and this whether we would be able to recover the development cost. Added to that, a Tricorder would be an expensive product, easily running to a few hundred dollars, further limiting its market potential.

However, we are working on other projects which have similar technology to that which would be needed to make a tricorder work, and we might consider using this technology platform for a tricorder development later.

If you are desperate for a Tricorder, help us make our lovely products successful and as we grow and expand we may well have the bandwidth to tackle such a project in the future.

Okay. Got it.

It WILL NOT FIT into an AA phaser. It has a Wand Company length and an LED that protrudes from the nozzle.

It will, however, fit into a Wand Company Phaser.

As for modding it? You’ll have to crack the case to do so and remove the electronics and remove the battery holder, which means cutting. There are no screws to open the unit.

Here are some pics:
6c3fba630b50d74986b01852529753d9.jpg
d385c6e4e1e19175aae67975a85ef818.jpg
cb70074b6e7f8c42c16f281cf1d7210c.jpg
196b34b8ed25f141494cb7706047f29a.jpg
eb5742d581becbc0384abb3b4cc0fb72.jpg
22863a1a382735ea329e4073d839f35a.jpg

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

Last edited:
Get a Piece of the Rock and a nice B&W P1 that's easy to mod as well. . .

My mods on it are finished:

• Buffed off the copyright lettering & dull coat
  • Replaced plastic trigger with aluminum trigger
  • Swapped out black cover screw with a brass replacement
  • Replaced plastic thumb wheel with aluminum thumb wheel
  • Drilled off plastic nozzle, replaced with anodized aluminum nozzle sized to accomodate the IR Emitter

30215858768_99d5d6c53f_z.jpg
29146454457_a409521b64_z.jpg

I am DEFINITELY not up to par on TREK canon props...

but I can offer some help on the electronics for whatever is lacking...or for custom needs. :)

Get a Piece of the Rock and a nice B&W P1 that's easy to mod as well. . .

My mods on it are finished:

• Buffed off the copyright lettering & dull coat
  • Replaced plastic trigger with aluminum trigger
  • Swapped out black cover screw with a brass replacement
  • Replaced plastic thumb wheel with aluminum thumb wheel
  • Drilled off plastic nozzle, replaced with anodized aluminum nozzle sized to accomodate the IR Emitter

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1819/30215858768_99d5d6c53f_z.jpg https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1836/29146454457_a409521b64_z.jpg
That really looks great!! Did you have to repaint the whole thing after you buffered out the copyright? Also do you think its possible to do a modification to have the sight raise?

Thanks, they are real easy mods and these details make a nice difference in its looks.There is no need to repaint unless you want to, I didn't. Anything is possible, I personally have no desire to make a pop up sight on this piece. Wand Company could certainly have designed this with a pop up sight themselves even in switching to 'AAA" batteries but that would surely have driven up the price point. It's funny Wand Company released an 11th doctor sonic screwdriver that did not open then they re-released an opening version calling it the 12th doctors sonic screwdriver. Ironicly Peter Capaldi preferred to use it closed and it was even super glued shut at some point, his feeling was that flicking it open was Matt Smith's domain. Ultimately Peter Capaldi's 12th doctor got a completely new and different sonic screwdriver of his own before bowing out of the series.

Thanks, they are real easy mods and these details make a nice difference in its looks.There is no need to repaint unless you want to, I didn't. Anything is possible, I personally have no desire to make a pop up sight on this piece. Wand Company could certainly have designed this with a pop up sight themselves even in switching to 'AAA" batteries but that would surely have driven up the price point. It's funny Wand Company released an 11th doctor sonic screwdriver that did not open then they re-released an opening version calling it the 12th doctors sonic screwdriver. Ironicly Peter Capaldi preferred to use it closed and it was even super glued shut at some point, his feeling was that flicking it open was Matt Smith's domain. Ultimately Peter Capaldi's 12th doctor got a completely new and different sonic screwdriver of his own before bowing out of the series.
Yes I hear you. I love how clean it looks with the finish it already has.
Did you do any modifications to The Wand Company phaser remote?

No I didn’t make any mods to their P2 remote.

There is an operational bonus in using an anodized aluminum nozzle, the remote has increased range in controlling the rock.

Hmmmm! I want to take apart my P1 for the Mood Rock- Only prob is, it's SO QUIET I can't hear it very well even if I hold it to my ear. This must be fixed! They added the voice & phaser sound, I can't see their shipping units this quiet but....

On the Wand Co. site, I found (Under FAQ's as to its screen accuracy) the following, and it claerly states the Phaser was made to be taken apart for modders-

Quote: ....As we guessed there must have been mid grade props where the sight didn’t open, we went for that as a compromise and to make the product simple to manufacture. The beauty is that this unit has been made to be taken apart, so I am sure some clever bods will be able to mod it to create a version with a rising site if they want and can find a way of fitting the mechanism in around the battery housing..End Quote

So, it seems the battery box with the cool 'Electronic Bits' can be removed. Mine, I popped it up in the rear with a screwdriver, but from there it feels like it'd take force to get it all the way out & I don't wanna screw it up. Curious if anyone has a comment on this? Someone has to have gutted theirs to mod but I can't find any info in my searching, sniffle. Please post if so! Chris REC

DigiGal, I just noticed that you must have gotten this apart for the thumbwheel install: Any pics or tips on dissection of this? Chris REC

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back