The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

What if the resin sabers were made for display purposes at cons and launch bay?

There is that possibility. And there is a history of that happening. The only question I have is why does the movie saber have the odd pommel orientation like resin saber? I can see it happening on a resin saber where they didn't care about the finer details. But on a metal "hero" saber, I don't see that happening. I still think that resin saber wasn't intended to have"hero" status, and kinda got pressed into duty, once they cut out Luke using his saber on Crait.

The people at Awesome Con were saying that all of the props and clothes had been screen used, I never tried to pin anyone down as to which movie this or that prop appeared in. Does anyone here have some intell on Graflex and the Luke, at least. Were they really screen used props? Which movies were they featured in? What,is their significance.qq

The people at Awesome Con were saying that all of the props and clothes had been screen used, I never tried to pin anyone down as to which movie this or that prop appeared in. Does anyone here have some intell on Graflex and the Luke, at least. Were they really screen used props? Which movies were they featured in? What,is their significance.qq

With the marks all over the blub release it should be easy to max on film, including that really scratched you beer tab rivet...

Just haven’t found screen grabs of the right angle to prove it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Awesomecon too and am kicking myself for not bringing my camera. I took some photos with my phone and will see if there's anything Fusion didn't already post (but I'm not expecting there to be). I will a agree on a couple of Graflex points though: it looked like the pins were straight, but the inside of the eye was curved and chromed like a later eye, not a Folmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The people at Awesome Con were saying that all of the props and clothes had been screen used, I never tried to pin anyone down as to which movie this or that prop appeared in. Does anyone here have some intell on Graflex and the Luke, at least. Were they really screen used props? Which movies were they featured in?

People minding the shop at a con know less than us, and there's plenty of saber variants that claim to be screen-used that are not-- like all the Kurtz sabers, the Barbican, the strobonar hybrid, to name a few. No exhibit will cop to saying their goods are less than legit. Even the Launch Bays pretend legitimacy when the multiple locations have the same stuff.

I could blow this Luke saber off as a resin copy of a real hero if it weren't the same one presented in the SWS as THE saber along side a Graflex that matches the onscreen version so well, and the fact that it's details don't match any other known version of Luke's saber.

It could be a resin version of a metal hero, and if we're seeing a metal hero onscreen, the box is still different (likely due to retouching).

Every time I think We got it, things change. I'm baffled.

- - - Updated - - -

But the early eyes are stainless not brass, right?:confused

I need to re-read the thread @scottjua made..

People minding the shop at a con know less than us, and there's plenty of saber variants that claim to be screen-used that are not-- like all the Kurtz sabers, the Barbican, the strobonar hybrid, to name a few. No exhibit will cop to saying their goods are less than legit. Even the Launch Bays pretend legitimacy when the multiple locations have the same stuff.

I could blow this Luke saber off as a resin copy of a real hero if it weren't the same one presented in the SWS as THE saber along side a Graflex that matches the onscreen version so well, and the fact that it's details don't match any other known version of Luke's saber.

It could be a resin version of a metal hero, and if we're seeing a metal hero onscreen, the box is still different (likely due to retouching).

Every time I think We got it, things change. I'm baffled.

But why would the metal hero have an off-center pommel? That is what makes me think that the resin and the Creepy Uncle are the same.

Why is nobody considering that the con saber has been cast from aluminum instead of resin? Sure looks like it, even in high-res pictures. Am I missing something?

Why is nobody considering that the con saber has been cast from aluminum instead of resin? Sure looks like it, even in high-res pictures. Am I missing something?

f0ebb74cb8f1657a4ef30bb48525fc1d.jpg

kinda looks like white resin

Someone said earlier that the bottom of that hole is in fact grey. And aside from that, every nick and scratch, not to mention the finish, looks like dinged and brushed metal. And there's also the rounded edges on the pommel... Everything in those pictures screams "cast aluminum" to me. But maybe that's just me. ;)

More pictures of the Kylo Ren and Graflex sabers? Yes please!

My probably incorrect view of the pis so far: To me the emitter of the Luke saber looks machined, and the rest cold cast or painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Awesomecon too and am kicking myself for not bringing my camera. I took some photos with my phone and will see if there's anything @Fusion didn't already post (but I'm not expecting there to be). I will a agree on a couple of Graflex points though: it looked like the pins were straight, but the inside of the eye was curved and chromed like a later eye, not a Folmer.

I have a bunch more of the Graflex and Kylo I figured I should post those elsewhere where they might be more appropriate.

On the Graflex: The pins looked straight to me, as well. And the glass eye looked nothing like the early Folmer eyes that I have seen. It was shiny and curved like the newer ones, not slightly matt and more angular like the older ones. It was so shiny, in fact, I thought it might have been a repro at first. The beer tab was not just scratched, but had a chunk broken out on the right side near the rivet. And, after talking the Con people into letting me shine a light up the things butt, I made out what I took at the time to be R E G under the clamp where the builder had not bothered to cover the bottom stamping with tape. I got a pic of that too. But, the angle was clearly sub-optimal. Looking at Gaflex bottoms at home, the best match seemed to be the R E D at the end of 'manufactured' in the Graflex w/Patent number type.

I didn't consider that the glass eyes might be made of anything but brass. I do have access to the ability to determine basic metallic composition. And I have examples of both types in the parts box at home. Once I get a chance I'll do a comparison of the two types to see what they're made of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone said earlier that the bottom of that hole is in fact grey. And aside from that, every nick and scratch, not to mention the finish, looks like dinged and brushed metal. And there's also the rounded edges on the pommel... Everything in those pictures screams "cast aluminum" to me. But maybe that's just me. ;)

One of the shots above shows a ton of the emitter holes are white on the inside.

Yeah I guess I see it now. It just baffles the mind that the paint job is so shabby, EXCEPT for the brushed metal finish which is pretty much perfect.

I'd give good money to hold that thing in my hands, or at least to see it in person.

Yeah I guess I see it now. It just baffles the mind that the paint job is so shabby, EXCEPT for the brushed metal finish which is pretty much perfect.

I'd give good money to hold that thing in my hands, or at least to see it in person.

That's what makes me think it might be some sort of approval saber. Sometimes the prop guys will make several different variations on a prop, then the director chooses the one he liked. This might be this saber, and then it got drafted into "hero" duty.

I agree. One way or another, it barely looks like the "screen-used" saber. It might have been used as reference for the pick-up shots, but (as we said earlier) it was probably rotoscoped but the "real" hero (the CGI one)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back