TCM?Bonhams - Raiders fertility idol Ghostbusters, LOTR props up for auction

Rick. It's late now as I have just got home from being out most of the day. I wanted to respond before going to bed because it appears you may not have fully understood what I wrote and missed the actual "main point" of what I said.

Let me for the last time try to break things down for you simply and succinctly.

No, we are not part of the process

As I said originally to you, yes we are. Let's use your definition of the word process. An auction consists of a series of steps or actions in order to sell items. An auctions main reason for being is to sell things. As potential bidders/customers/ buyers/ interested parties, what have you, we are of that process. Furthermore, I said more than once, that sharing as much fact based information as possible about the items in this (Bonhams) auction, benefits everyone that may be interested in particular auction items. It also would be a great resource to have an online record of the items discussed.

we are not part of the process of gathering, pricing or authenticating the lots

I never said we were part of auction houses doing their business. Though if you are a consignor, you would be.

Your main point, written twice, was that we should refrain from making these things known due to possible "damage" our words can cause.

Wrong Rick. I don't know what your reading. I never said or suggested anyone should refrain from making things known. My post and comments encouraged it. What I said more than once was:

Post #14:
I see. Thanks for responding :) . Maybe those folks could list all of those the items in this thread they believe are suspect and why. Providing screen grabs, links, or first hand knowledge supporting their observations would help . It would be a great reference and assist in the auction process.

Post #17:
I mentioned providing screen grabs, links, or first hand knowledge supporting observations assists in determining the authenticity and or attribution of items. Doing so would be a great reference and assist in the auction process.

Post #19:
One of the purposes of this forum is to share opinions and views. Therefore, sharing as much fact based information with one another further adds to the conversation.

Additionally you said:

We owe no auction house anything

Post #19 again:
It's about the collectors.

Finally:

This is a social group, who are free to bitch and moan as we please

I agree. Every one of my posts encourage that. I said more than once that publicly posting as much information as possible assists in allowing potential collectors to make a decision on the items being discussed. However, just saying "it's fake" without any reason(s) adds little to the conversation.

Other than what I said earlier and above, I don't know what else to tell you or add. We should be helping one another in the best way possible.

Part of the problem I think is that the evidence is there and easily discernible for a lot of the fakes Bonhams sells and has sold in the past. These people should be responsible for educating themselves. They just don't care to look. There's more money to be made by assuming it's legit and seeing if anyone catches them.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back