Wonder Woman (Post-release)

Saw it on Friday...wow. What an awesome movie.
Kind of felt like a 'back to basics' movie. Didn't it?
Simple story, likeable characters....Then throw in those key 'Superhero' elements like a cool costume that also looks cool on the hero. :)
Music that fits the film and the character AND used wisely. Sort of like the Keaton Batman theme, not only was it a killer film soundtrack all its own but it was also used brilliantly. Something I've missed from these movies for a long time.
Origin stories are nothing new but this one was handled just as well as Batman Begins, which for me until now was the best Superhero film to date

I want a Superhero movie to give us the Super in the hero. I'm all about the internal struggle and what it takes to 'become' the hero and I also have to have a killer costume. Then, like anyone else I too want a fun story....great music....believable villains....and a movie that provokes some kind of emotional reaction. Make me believe, make me feel like I can believe in their struggle...but most of all make me have fun.
For me WW delivered on it all.

I remember as a kid how I felt after hearing Darth Vader say "I...am your Father." It was chilling, and that whole 'twist' aside...the goosebumps and fun wow emotions that it produced were in essence what made going to the movies fun.
Ahh the good old days. When movies were real. :)

Until Wonder Woman, I guess I never really realized how much I missed those fun emotions. No, there were no real twists but man were the emotions during this film fun to ride.
I had a smile on my face for most of the film, teared up more than once out of that pure thrill of emotions and just had a whole bunch of fun watching this killer awesome movie.
Music is also important to me with these hero films and man did they ever get that right with WW.
Gal had me sold in BvS, but this is next level as far as I'm concerned.

For me it's hands down the best superhero movie ever and I say that with respect because there is a lot of amazing Superhero movies out there.
Better than the first Iron Man, better than Batman Begins and better than the first GOTG.
So happy for WB/DC.

Now I want a dudes version of Wonder Woman's costume. :)

David

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm oddly peeved by DC's new intro they revealed before the movie. How can you prominently feature all these characters thst you haven't even come close to putting on the screen? I get it that Marvel had their little flashing pages intro for years and a lot of those had glimpses of characters with no movie, but this feels a little off to me. Still excited for the movie, I just wish DC would slow down and make these characters' movies instead of just pretending they already had.

The problem with it being set in WWI is that a large percentage of the audience probably had no idea it was set during WWI. Unless I missed more, the only mention was that it was "the war to end all wars." But, it was still a German enemy in costumes that looked like WWII uniforms in Europe.

To be fair, to have them call it World War I would be historically inaccurate as until after WWII, it was referred to as The Great War and The War to End All Wars. As to the uniforms, it's the same country and the same people, so the uniforms would definitely look similar between WWI and WWII. The only difference was the SS uniforms, which were custom designed for them. Even Hitler didn't wear an SS uniform.

To be fair, to have them call it World War I would be historically inaccurate as until after WWII, it was referred to as The Great War and The War to End All Wars. As to the uniforms, it's the same country and the same people, so the uniforms would definitely look similar between WWI and WWII. The only difference was the SS uniforms, which were custom designed for them. Even Hitler didn't wear an SS uniform.
Quite understandable - although the framing sequences or even a title-card-overlay could have established it a bit more solidly. It's a very minor nitpick and more of an observation than anything.

My 12 year-old nephew did recognize it as WWI - not sure if he knew that beforehand, but he did ask me if it was WWI for clarity. I'd still bet most folks have little idea that it was WWI.

The SS uniforms, as I recall, weren't all that different from those of the Wehrmacht, the only real difference was that instead of feldgrau (sort of a grey-green color) they were black and the insignia worn on it were different but it was of the same pattern. As far as Hitler, I think he wore what could be described as a Nazi uniform, as in a uniform for various party members in certain positions in the government but weren't in the military.

Speaking of uniforms, was it just me or did General Ludendorf's uniform seem a little too much like something from WW 2? I realize that the German uniforms from WW 2 appear to be fairly similar to the ones from WW 1 but there are enough subtle differences that I can tell the difference between the two and Ludendorf's has a very Wehrmacht look to it rather than Deutches Heer.

Pretty old, but check out "The Blue Max" (1966). Very well done movie set during WWI (The Great War). I wasn't nit-picking for historical accuracy, but the uniforms looked pretty good to me. The tanks and aircraft looked great too.

I thought it was a little weird that it was supposed to be 1918, yet there were still Fokker Eindeckers around. I dunno, probably played too much Red Baron back in the day when I was first getting in to PC games.

Saw it Yesterday with my wife...while my wife didn't really care for the film (not into comics or comic book movies for that matter) I literally wept through most of the movie. Cheesy as all hell with some dialogue. some of the CG backgrounds fell into the uncanny valley particularly 3rd act. there was a really Jarring cut in the Ares/Diana lets have story time segment of the picture BUT D#@!%$ did i enjoy this picture. Look I'm not trying to be oober nerd but i have my own issues with the DC films post the Nolan flicks but wonder woman was a breath of fresh air. flawed film but an important film.

And this is bascically Diana's origins in the movie, just replace Hera with Ares. If you recall, most everything about Diana's origins and her life were a combinations of secrets and lies, all because her mother wanted to keep her safe and hidden from Ares. She was afraid that the more that she (Diana) knew the more that she would be at risk of being discovered by Ares, something that she wanted to avoid at all costs. This was why she wasn't allowed to train alongside the other Amazons until she was discovered training in secret, this was why she was told that the sword she stole was the ultimate weapon that could kill Ares, and why she was also told that she was made from clay and brought to life by Zeus. Lastly, don't forget that Ares himself told Diana the truth and told her that only a god can kill another god.

Still doesn't mean that forming Diana out of clay didn't happen. That's the point I'm trying to make. Even the original non-Zues clay origin still had the gods bestow Diana with their powers where she could challenge them just as she was able to challenge Ares in the film.

Saw it the other night, was not disappointed at all! Action kept me interested the entire time, not too many one liner comedy bits, THAT SCORE I loved the score so much, everytime I heard the WW theme I was pumped. I really liked how it was a contained story and didnt have world building references every 5 minutes. Would definitely see it again

that score was Tina Guo on electric cello. LOVE her artistry!! She played for Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica Orchestra.

Saw it today. Thought it was good, but not great. I will say that Gal Gadot absolutely lights up the screen....she's so gorgeous it's almost distracting at times. The reviews are making this thing out to be like it's on the level of The Dark Knight. Spoiler alert: it's not. I guess when you're coming after BvS and Suicide Squad anything is going to seem like a revelation, but I think this movie is a little over-hyped and to be honest that's largely due to the fact that it's the first female stand-alone superhero movie. So at least DC can now say they beat Marvel to the punch in one area...for whatever that's worth. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

I don't know man, I didn't care much for The Dark Knight despite how great everyone else thinks it was. Thought Wonder Woman was way better but I'm probably in the minority.

Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman. Was not sold on her until I saw this film. She is perfect. Best DC film in a very long time. I still prefer Guardians over this, but it was a close second for me. Well worth the price of admission.

I don't know man, I didn't care much for The Dark Knight despite how great everyone else thinks it was. Thought Wonder Woman was way better but I'm probably in the minority.

Yeah, I'd definitely say you're in the minority on that one. TDK is a cinema classic while WW will be easily forgotten as far as I'm concerned.

Best part in the movie was when She argued with Pine and stepped out of the trench Posed, Determined and Jicked butt

Definitely one of my favourite bits in the film. :D

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with it being set in WWI is that a large percentage of the audience probably had no idea it was set during WWI. Unless I missed more, the only mention was that it was "the war to end all wars." But, it was still a German enemy in costumes that looked like WWII uniforms in Europe.

I can definitely see some confusion for younger viewers, but most adults should be able to tell it was meant to be WWI by the trench warfare and the mention of the Kaiser. Those are unique to WWI

Saw it Yesterday with my wife...while my wife didn't really care for the film (not into comics or comic book movies for that matter) I literally wept through most of the movie.

This would describe me as well...I am sooo NOT a Superhero/Comic Book film fan in general. But I did like this far more than I expected too.

Of course the female empowerment stuff resonated with me (that's not hard to understand) but overall it didn't feel too Super-Heroey to me. Though Diana has a similar component to Thor (both born to a God) hers seems a more plausible and easily accepted character for me. I can't really say why... but I did very much enjoy this movie. :D

So are the other Amazonians all dead now in present day? Or do they have longer lifespans as well? I wish there had been some kind of mention of her ever going back to the island or something.

Yeah, I'd definitely say you're in the minority on that one. TDK is a cinema classic while WW will be easily forgotten as far as I'm concerned.

I would say the FIRST nolan batman movie is a cinema classic.

The 'joker in name only' edition that came after, less so. if only because it was just a random madman with a joker motif. just like SS version comes off as a random mobster with a Joker Motif.

As for WW, that might be a bit harsh. i havn't seen it yet, but from what i've been hearing, it sounds like it may only be SLIGHTLY better than the other DC movies. which in retrospect would be almost impossible not to achieve, even for WB, at SOME point.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back