Rusty Mandalorian armor

FreddySchramm

I've been uploading a lot of old portfolio work lately but here is something that I recently updated. My mandalorian costume for the mercs. Made from sintra and fiberglass

Older version is more towards the bottom, come a long way with faux patinas over the year. I repainted this and updated the soft parts to match the wear and tear or the armor.

The Proto boba helmet made by Skygunbro creatiomns, the older helmet is made by me during my second year of art school.

The armor rust is Sculpt Nouveau's Iron B Metal coating with a mix of steel powder rusted with tiffany Green patina. Best results were leaving it in the bathroom while I ran a hot shower.

The jetpack was made in 2015 and is made from scratch sintra and fiberglass along with 3d-printed parts. For that rust I used a combination of Acrylic paints and cinnamon. Originally was going to use the cinnamon just for the bright orange powder but it works great when you mix it in with the paint to give it more texture. Now that I learned the cinnamon method I recommend it over the iron coating. You'll have way more control with the paint and cinnamon and will get results quicker.

Probably one of my favorite pieces so far, next to my Dalek.

Anyone who hasn't heart of The coating i'm talking about can get it here, http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=42

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.53.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.52.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.52.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.52.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.53.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.54.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.53.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.53.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.53.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.53.30 PM.png

Pre- Metal coating

View attachment 091815Freddy-7.jpgView attachment 091815Freddy-73.jpg

Last edited:
The idea of using cinnamon is great! Working with ferrous oxide powder was just a pain, and I've been looking for an alternative. So, thanks :)

The armour looks really authentic with all of the signs of (lots!) of wear and tear. Well done.

The idea of using cinnamon is great! Working with ferrous oxide powder was just a pain, and I've been looking for an alternative. So, thanks :)

The armor looks really authentic with all of the signs of (lots!) of wear and tear. Well done.

Thanks! Yea there's some tutorials on youtube on how they use the cinnamon. It works great.

very cool, love all the rust effect ( i get steel cleaning/scouring pads leave them soaking in water till the water evaporates leaving you rusty steel pads you can crush down into rust powder, i apply it with PVA glue then spray a clear flat laquer to seal and protect it )

Last edited:
very cool, love all the rust effect ( i get steel cleaning/scouring pads leave them soaking in water till the water evaporates leaving you rusty steel pads you can crush down into rust powder, i apply it with PVA glue then spray a clear flat laquer to seal and protect it )

Nice! that's a great method, I usually rust them with vinegar. Do you get a drastic color change with the laquer you use? that's the problem i tend to have.

cool never tried vinegar, as for colour change most lacquers are labled as clear but thats just means that dont have a yellowish finish and alot of them have a satin or gloss appearance. you need to find a clear lacquer that has a matt finish. im in the UK and i use this one
370269.jpg

i tried it on a gloss object and it takes the shine off it and on the rust it just seals and protects it no shine at all

IMG_0858.JPG

these were treated with it

I tried to give my girlfriend a "rusty mandalorian" once... Got me slapped!

Really nice job... At first I also though "what kind of a Mando would allow that to happen to his armor?"... Then my brain started coming up with ideas of an older Mando that had given it all up for a life of peace on some backwater planet... He cast aside his armor until something tragic forced him to put it on again...

Great project with a fantastic outcome!

I'm a big fan of heavy weathering, taking the SW used Universe concept to the next level. Advanced age, relic objects. This is art.

cool never tried vinegar, as for colour change most lacquers are labled as clear but thats just means that dont have a yellowish finish and alot of them have a satin or gloss appearance. you need to find a clear lacquer that has a matt finish. im in the UK and i use this one
View attachment 719909

i tried it on a gloss object and it takes the shine off it and on the rust it just seals and protects it no shine at all

View attachment 719910

these were treated with it

Thanks for the advice. I've been experimenting with a few new sealers. The closest result to what I can find is workable fixative by krylon. I've been tole special waxes work great as well but have yet to try any, downside to those is it makes it difficult to paint over if you decide to bring in some more color. I'll see if i can find the brand you use though.

I tried to give my girlfriend a "rusty mandalorian" once... Got me slapped!

Really nice job... At first I also though "what kind of a Mando would allow that to happen to his armor?"... Then my brain started coming up with ideas of an older Mando that had given it all up for a life of peace on some backwater planet... He cast aside his armor until something tragic forced him to put it on again...

If I would have to think of something on the spot, I'd say this mando found this armor in a swamp setting and just put on the armor.

The real story behind this ( Not too creative or exciting) Is I started off just normal battle damage on the ivory white, but after a while espechaly with white you get scratches and dirt build up. So I though why not do something different than add dirt like when the same thing happens to TK armor, ( TK to Sandtrooper)

- - - Updated - - -

Great project with a fantastic outcome!

I'm a big fan of heavy weathering, taking the SW used Universe concept to the next level. Advanced age, relic objects. This is art.

I'm glad to hear a fellow fan call something like this art. As an art school soon to be grad, I appriciate it when the craft is seen in more of an artistic form rather than a building/making form. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, I'm a maker first artist second. But it makes the work more legit to me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back