Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

OMG - just read this thread from beginning to end! this is outstanding.

was considering starting one myself..... not sure I'm going to bother lol

Thank you :) That must of taken a while! :) I'd recommend having a go! its great fun & rewarding :)

Sorry for the lack of updates lately guy's :(
I needed to get some chores out the way first :( & I still have a list :rolleyes but I'll be making some progress soon :)

I've been creeping on RPF for years! Yours was the very first thread I followed oh so long ago when you started this project. You have inspired me in so many ways Leigh! I've not taken the leap yet and done any molds or jumped into the sculpting aspect of things. I'm more of a wood working, leather crafting, and costume sewing guy (theater and Renn-Faire geek). You've definitely inspired me to rearrange my garage into a proper shop and get to making stuff. Which I've done.

I have to to echo others here in saying I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when you finish this project. Your thread is the first thing I check when I sign into RPF. I have shown your thread to so many muggles who don't have the crafting/creativity bug. Your story has been so fun to share. The roller coaster ride it has been following your progress on BOB has been nerve racking and exhilarating. The times you've decided to tear it all apart and rebuild or start all over again, "Something just wasn't quite right" and spend the next few days redoing something so that your future self would be happy. Reinforcing something so that it can hold the weight. Tweeking and retweeking, only to surprise us with something even more amazing than what we expected.
Gods! I thought I lived by the motto "Do it right or don't do it at all" You Sir are a ROCKSTAR!
I follow a lot of threads now and wish they would show the detail you have. Thank you for the documentation and letting us see your process. Because you are so close to final molds, I realized I wont have a lot of time before you're done. You've inspired me to write my first post on RPF.

Congratulations on joining us in the ranks of the married. I've been at this relationship thing for 18 years, marriage has been a blast. Hope yours is as well!

I've been creeping on RPF for years! Yours was the very first thread I followed oh so long ago when you started this project. You have inspired me in so many ways Leigh! I've not taken the leap yet and done any molds or jumped into the sculpting aspect of things. I'm more of a wood working, leather crafting, and costume sewing guy (theater and Renn-Faire geek). You've definitely inspired me to rearrange my garage into a proper shop and get to making stuff. Which I've done.

I have to to echo others here in saying I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when you finish this project. Your thread is the first thing I check when I sign into RPF. I have shown your thread to so many muggles who don't have the crafting/creativity bug. Your story has been so fun to share. The roller coaster ride it has been following your progress on BOB has been nerve racking and exhilarating. The times you've decided to tear it all apart and rebuild or start all over again, "Something just wasn't quite right" and spend the next few days redoing something so that your future self would be happy. Reinforcing something so that it can hold the weight. Tweeking and retweeking, only to surprise us with something even more amazing than what we expected.
Gods! I thought I lived by the motto "Do it right or don't do it at all" You Sir are a ROCKSTAR!
I follow a lot of threads now and wish they would show the detail you have. Thank you for the documentation and letting us see your process. Because you are so close to final molds, I realized I wont have a lot of time before you're done. You've inspired me to write my first post on RPF.

Congratulations on joining us in the ranks of the married. I've been at this relationship thing for 18 years, marriage has been a blast. Hope yours is as well!

WOW! Thank you :)

I don't really know how to reply to this :$

One thing I can say though... is that I wish I could do what you've done here :) I've never been good with words, I've always had difficulty getting my point across & being understood. I find replies like this one to be inspiring in many ways :)

Many Thanks :)

Ok, got some progress today :)
888.JPG

889.JPG

Here I mixed a little Thixo into the silicone & brushed a bit round to fill the gap before the detail coat goes on. I didn't want silicone flooding under the thing :)
890.JPG

892.JPG

:)

Last edited:

This is the last mold?

I've a couple of little moulds to make after this. One is the flap that closes the back of jaw to the neck & I've got to do something with the tubes? not sure what to do with the tubes :unsure

This mould still has quite a lot of work to be done! Once the jacket is made I'll flip this over & remove the original part. I've then got to build the underside & make the last half of the mould to fully finish. I'll document my progress along the way :)

yep still a bit of work ahead.
Did you figure out the dome yet?
Seems to be the most complicated part to me...

yep still a bit of work ahead.
Did you figure out the dome yet?
Seems to be the most complicated part to me...

I don't think I'm going to make my own Vac Former, I just need to find someone that has the time & equipment to help me produce some pulls from my Buck :)

I don't think I'm going to make my own Vac Former, I just need to find someone that has the time & equipment to help me produce some pulls from my Buck :)
Also because this machine for thermoforming is bulky and then I think it takes a lot of suction power for such a great piece. Keep in mind that we also need a greater area of plastic sheet. The supplier also knows all the tricks to be the best part. For example, to reduce the risk of breaking the mold, it is possible to further heat the plastic sheet and aspirate with half power.

I have a Vac former but it won't be in action til later this summer. Happy to have a play if you can wait? Otherwise if someone else has the offer? Fill your boots.

I have a Vac former but it won't be in action til later this summer. Happy to have a play if you can wait? Otherwise if someone else has the offer? Fill your boots.

You have your own! Awesome!! I'll be in touch :)

Nice!
just curious, is it possible to have something with bigger thickness with this process? Or do we have to use something else for that?

Nice!
just curious, is it possible to have something with bigger thickness with this process? Or do we have to use something else for that?
I do not know if I understand English well. I'm not the author of the video and the printed part. For technical support you can write directly below the YouTube video comments

is fantastic! It seems to be made with a numerical control machine . this sculpture is a real success . you'll sell many .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back