1/36 scale Tie Advanced refurbished project

ntdigitalworks

Picked up one of the old 1/36 scale Tie Advanced model kits.
I'm not sure which release.
Over all condition is not too bad, afew issues.

1) Wings are not straight. And uneven to the ground.
2) Engines were cemented incorrectly, they are facing down rather backwards.
3) Missing rectangular part form outerside of wings.

So to document my project here.
I will be disassemble the model, cleaning up the parts. Removing old paint (lucky seems only a bit of back) clear away the old cement.
I have planned, to scratch build an interior. Either fixing or replace the horrifying Darth Vader that is supplied with the original kit. Build the missing rectangular bits.
Replace the canopy for a more accurate one. Add a few hull details to match that of a studio Model (giving the small scale most likely estimate the detail work)
Adding lighting for interior, engines, and weapons.
Proper paint job and a little bit of weathering. And decide on a display method.

It will be a long project as I will be doing this with my free time.
TieAdvan_1.pngTieAdvan_2.png

Last edited:
Ambitious project! :)

Just a tip: If you have the chance to contact Revell's customer service you may ask them to send you a Darth Vader figure, seat and joystick piece from their kit. It looks so much better than the mpc one and fits great inside the cockpit. I did it with mine:

DSCF9861a.JPG

comparison of Revell Vader (left) and mpc Vader (right; with modifications such as closed eye and dome slits)

DSCF9868a.JPG

old Vader in cockpit

DSCF9870a.JPG

new Vader in cockpit

The small scale difference adds to the overall look and makes the ship appear more massive and bigger (which is always a good thing for a Sith Lord ;) ).

Great to see some input on this. I'm definitely going to do something about the Darth Vader. Jaitea perhaps I can out source you for a recast?
And hopefully I will get this taking apart. Then I'll be able to see what I'm going to be able to do, with the overall build.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Revell kit can often be found cheap enough, You can buy the whole kit and find free shipping on Amazon etc... for around the same price it would probably cost to have someone cast it up and ship it to you or the cost of molding materials and resin if doing it yourself. You just have to make sure your not getting the pocket easy kit. I got it from my local hobby store for less than $30

The Revell kit can often be found cheap enough, You can buy the whole kit and find free shipping on Amazon etc... for around the same price it would probably cost to have someone cast it up and ship it to you or the cost of molding materials and resin if doing it yourself. You just have to make sure your not getting the pocket easy kit. I got it from my local hobby store for less than $30

I got my Vader for free (no fee, free s/h) from Revell's Department X; they are simply fantastic. Please note that I live in Germany which makes it easier to get in touch with them.

Ah, I'm sure I'll figure out Vader in the end.
Probably the best reference around.
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=2355
Definitely have a few areas that need improving but won't go overboard. Do to the small scale of this particular kit.
Dismantling it today hope the process goes with out any issues

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back