Mythbusters is doing STAR WARS MYTHS ! HELL YES !!!

That's just a pile of snow. You can see it as Han starts building the shelter, his scanner is leaning against it. I've always assumed the shelter was a small tent built right behind the snow pile.

Leia originally started off as Lee-uh"...

Only General Dodonna used that pronunciation though as I recall. I'm projecting expectations onto Adam based on his working for ILM I suppose.

Granted, I also cringe a little bit when I hear people use two different vowel sounds in "Gandalf."

Just watched this episode - thought it was great. The new series trailer looked good too (did I see Live and Let Die in there?).

Only General Dodonna used that pronunciation though as I recall. I'm projecting expectations onto Adam based on his working for ILM I suppose.

I think a number of characters in the first film used the long E pronounciation. Didn't Tarkin? And maybe Threepio...? What about Luke?

It was just a scout vehicle, not a battle vehicle. I think an armored car was a great Earth equivalent.

That's why I said the M2 Bradley would be the U.S. equivalent. It's an APC, but used for scouting.

robn1 said:
That's just a pile of snow. You can see it as Han starts building the shelter, his scanner is leaning against it. I've always assumed the shelter was a small tent built right behind the snow pile.

That's what I thought. He starts pulling things off the Tauntaun when the scene cuts like he's getting the shelter components to build it, not a snow cave.

Great show but please stop the tweeter feed.

Since Adam had such a great ANH Solo and was a little disappointed by his ESB Hoth Solo, that feeling didn’t last long in the end I liked it, but now I want to get a good DL-44.
Oh how I hate Grant and Adam with their perfect replicas.

That's why I said the M2 Bradley would be the U.S. equivalent. It's an APC, but used for scouting.

I agree, but I can't imagine what that would have cost (even a used, trashed one) compared to an armored car. Plus I wouldn't want to give our actual military enimies any ideas if you could easily crush an armored US military vehicle with huge logs.

That's what I thought. He starts pulling things off the Tauntaun when the scene cuts like he's getting the shelter components to build it, not a snow cave.

I thought there was an antennae sticking out of the snow mound? I need to go back and watch it again, I don't remember.

Great show but please stop the tweeter feed.

Since Adam had such a great ANH Solo and was a little disappointed by his ESB Hoth Solo, that feeling didn’t last long in the end I liked it, but now I want to get a good DL-44.
Oh how I hate Grant and Adam with their perfect replicas.

I think Adam was wearing real cold weather clothes and not a costume (other than the gun belt) because of how cold the freezer was. He just happened to choose a jacket that was 'Han Solo' looking, not an exact replica. Plus he probably didn't want to get blue Taun-Taun guts on a nice costume.

Both Adam and Grants Solo costumes were amazing. I asked on twitter if Sophia's costume was her own or if they supplied it, but I never got an answer. She was a perfect Leia.

Has no one thought that what we saw in ESB was his shelter but covered in snow? IIRC when Han went out to look for Luke it was in the middle of a snow storm, if so it would make perfect sense for Han's shelter to be completely buried in snow making it look like a snow cave when he came out of it. Even if it wasn't snowing I think that it would still make sense for Han to cover the shelter in snow himself in order to help provide an extra level/layer of insulation so that he doesn't end up a Hansicle by morning.

I think Adam was wearing real cold weather clothes and not a costume (other than the gun belt) because of how cold the freezer was. He just happened to choose a jacket that was 'Han Solo' looking, not an exact replica. Plus he probably didn't want to get blue Taun-Taun guts on a nice costume.

I totally agree with your assessment of his pants and jacket.

My Hoth outfit is also real world and used almost every day. Seeing Adam’s brown jacket makes me wish I could have bought a brown but for the closest to movie look while saving money had to go with blue.
Seeing the ANH belt and holster adjusted to fit over snow gear was a real surprise. While I don’t have the cash to get such a nice rig right now, In the future, I’d love to chase down who made it and get one.

So, can we think of more SW myths for a follow up?

I have one.

I know Luke also used the Force to help, but I'm still curious about this one.

In a best case senario using a very fit and strong male gymnast, could a person step off a plank (ROTJ Jabba Skiff), fall straight down, turn in mid fall, actually catch yourself by your fingers, and have enough spring and strength to even spring up back on the board at all. Or would Luke falling make it impossible to catch himself and his hands would just slip off and he would have fallen.

Plus I wouldn't want to give our actual military enimies any ideas if you could easily crush an armored US military vehicle with huge logs.

Give the build team's admitted trouble getting the rig to hold up and the necessity to time that hit perfectly on a moving vehicle I don't think it would be a practical concern in the real world. IEDs are easier to make, easier to conceal, and far more portiable.

I have one.

I know Luke also used the Force to help, but I'm still curious about this one.

In a best case senario using a very fit and strong male gymnast, could a person step off a plank (ROTJ Jabba Skiff), fall straight down, turn in mid fall, actually catch yourself by your fingers, and have enough spring and strength to even spring up back on the board at all. Or would Luke falling make it impossible to catch himself and his hands would just slip off and he would have fallen.

That's a pretty good one and one that the team could easily test using both themselves as well as recruiting an actual gymnast to help to test.

Here's another ROTJ related myth to test, can a normal human actually fly through a dense forest like Endor on a speeding vehicle without wrapping themselves around a tree? Certainly the Scout Troopers had some sort of radar/guidance system in their helmets and Luke had the Force but what about Leia who had neither although it could be argued that Leia could have been using her latent Force abilities to guide her but I think that it's as valid as the Sarlac pit jump.

Speaking of Sarlacs, how about testing an EU myth, can a person survive being the in stomach of a very slow digesting creature like the Sarlac and actually climb back out none the worse for wear except for maybe tattered clothing. How they would test a myth like that I don't know but it would funny to see them try.

Give the build team's admitted trouble getting the rig to hold up and the necessity to time that hit perfectly on a moving vehicle I don't think it would be a practical concern in the real world. IEDs are easier to make, easier to conceal, and far more portiable.

True. But if a military vehicle could be crushed with 2 giant logs and and any weakness exposed, I doubt the government would want that aired on TV.

So, can we think of more SW myths for a follow up?
From ESB, would the exhaust port air flow have enough force to suck Luke into the pipe while in free fall?
And if yes, what downward angle of the pipe is required so Luke isn't injured by the impact?

Speaking of Sarlacs, how about testing an EU myth, can a person survive being the in stomach of a very slow digesting creature like the Sarlac and actually climb back out none the worse for wear except for maybe tattered clothing. How they would test a myth like that I don't know but it would funny to see them try.

I guess they could simulate the enzyme component of a Venus fly trap, up-scale it, then drop in their favorite human analog, and see what happens after some time. Depending on how long (humans can only go 3 days without water before dying, anyway) and see what kind of condition the body is in.

-Fred

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back