Titanium Shield

Nope, I can tell you the aluminum wouldn't do too well at all. Maybe a 22 wouldn't go through, but it would leave a nice dent. I believe a 9mm would go through, as well as 40 and 45. .380 auto may not go through either, but it too would leave a massive dent.

That is actually pretty impressive. I mean, if it were my life or the shield, I would love to be able to say "I got shot at and all I got was this nice dent in my shield". But hopefully I will never have to test that. But thanks Chris. Helps cure my curiosity.

That is actually pretty impressive. I mean, if it were my life or the shield, I would love to be able to say "I got shot at and all I got was this nice dent in my shield". But hopefully I will never have to test that. But thanks Chris. Helps cure my curiosity.

Considering the most carried side arm is 9mm these days, odds are your shield would do zero good. Don't try to test that. lol .. if you want, I can see if I have some scrap pieces of the aluminum to take out to the range when I test the titanium.

Considering the most carried side arm is 9mm these days, odds are your shield would do zero good. Don't try to test that. lol .. if you want, I can see if I have some scrap pieces of the aluminum to take out to the range when I test the titanium.

You don't have to Chris, I've already tested aluminum. I've tested 1/4" thick plates, 9mm, 40S&W, .38, and 45's all penetrate without problem. Ok, well the .38 had a little difficulty, but I can tell you, I would not want to be on the other side of the shield if anything was 'shooting' at it. Tests were done at 25 feet, using full metal jacketed rounds.

You don't have to Chris, I've already tested aluminum. I've tested 1/4" thick plates, 9mm, 40S&W, .38, and 45's all penetrate without problem. Ok, well the .38 had a little difficulty, but I can tell you, I would not want to be on the other side of the shield if anything was 'shooting' at it. Tests were done at 25 feet, using full metal jacketed rounds.

That's what I would expect. And that's twice the thickness of the shields. I would change my sentence above then to say the .380 auto would most likely go through as well.

I don't see them going through the titanium though, but I could be surprised. I think they'll dent it though. If I can get the grade 5 one made, they may not be able to dent that. However... if the shield doesn't dent, then all that energy is transfered to the person holding it... and that would suck... major padding required, not to mention that torque it could put on your wrist and arm if the shot hit low or high on the shield.

You guys rule. No need to test. I never would have. But it was just a roundtable discussion type at my house. A group of us sitting around wondering if it would or wouldn't. And what it would hold up against.

Thank you Chris & Bjall. Now I can go back and say "Knife? Yes!! Gun?....not so much".

Actually.. I was thinking some cnc'd unobtainium... or vibranium.. which ever I get first..

I know a guy....I kid. I kid...I know a guy who works with Tungsten carbide. He said it would weigh in the neighborhood of a 100lbs, and cost upwards of $5000. But it would pretty much impervious to bullets and knives, short of the problem you mentioned earlier Chris, about torquing the wearers arm.

But there is a bit of a difference between shooting at a flat plate and a round shield, the curvature of the shield might help deflect a bullet and it might also act similarly to angling a flat plate. If you look at tanks built before they started Chobam armor they all had rounded and sloped hulls and turrets which made their armor effectively thicker than it really was. Of course, given the thinness of the metal on the shield I doubt that the curvature alone would add all that much to its effectiveness at stopping a bullet.

But there is a bit of a difference between shooting at a flat plate and a round shield, the curvature of the shield might help deflect a bullet and it might also act similarly to angling a flat plate. If you look at tanks built before they started Chobam armor they all had rounded and sloped hulls and turrets which made their armor effectively thicker than it really was. Of course, given the thinness of the metal on the shield I doubt that the curvature alone would add all that much to its effectiveness at stopping a bullet.

You'ld probably want to paint rubber and layer some Kevlar on the back to reduce spall - I only say this because I realize someone will at some point try this.

Read here

Your last sentence is correct, also add that the curvature is relatively minimal compared to the size of a bullet. :)

That's what I would expect. And that's twice the thickness of the shields. I would change my sentence above then to say the .380 auto would most likely go through as well.

I don't see them going through the titanium though, but I could be surprised. I think they'll dent it though. If I can get the grade 5 one made, they may not be able to dent that. However... if the shield doesn't dent, then all that energy is transfered to the person holding it... and that would suck... major padding required, not to mention that torque it could put on your wrist and arm if the shot hit low or high on the shield.

Dont forget that if u tilt the shield and give it a obtuse angle when the bullet hits, the bullet should bounce, regardless of the power. also at closer range as to not let the projectile reach terminal velocity....... Either way u have real brass one´s to try this...... but it would be awesome to have real projectile damge !!!!:lol

Last edited:
Well, if I had the ability to test that out I would TK. If I just had a scrap Titanium shield. I have all the firearms needed to test it. Wink wink, nudge nudge. :)

Hi Chris,
congrats on the titanium shield, looks cool so far and it would definitely be awesome to own one. I'm interested to see what your finished titanium shield will look like with paint, star, brackets and leather and all. But looking at the two side by side somehow the aluminum shield looks cleaner and the ridge edges look neater. I'm sure the titanium is great, but I'm a big fan of the aluminum so unless you can find a cheap way of doing titanium and making it look just as fantastic as the aluminum I still think your aluminum one wins out ... so far.... :)

Aluminum will always look more correct and shiny as the metal has a different look to it. Aluminum's color is more brilliant than titaniums. Besides, this is the only titanium I am making, so you don't have to worry about it anyway, lol. :)

21 AK47 shots vs level 3 titanium steel plate - YouTube this is probably a bit thinner than the shield too! its .25 in thick titanium steel plate, zero penetration, super minimal deformity. the crazy thing is how the rounds just turn to slag and look like a giant meteor strike on the armor.

awesome, that is actually thicker than my shield, twice as thick. I'm curious what type of titanium that is. I can't see the video here at work, but I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks :)

I was able to aquire a titanium plate for 'ballistic testing'. I requested it from a metal shop who works with titatium armor plating. I'll be shooting a variety of guns at it over the weekend. I don't have a good video camera, but I'll do my best to post some ballistic shots of the titanium when I'm done.

BTW-Its grade 2 titanium, they are giving me three different thicknesses. I won't know the thickness until I pick them up. More info to come tomorrow afternoon.

I was able to aquire a titanium plate for 'ballistic testing'. I requested it from a metal shop who works with titatium armor plating. I'll be shooting a variety of guns at it over the weekend. I don't have a good video camera, but I'll do my best to post some ballistic shots of the titanium when I'm done.

BTW-Its grade 2 titanium, they are giving me three different thicknesses. I won't know the thickness until I pick them up. More info to come tomorrow afternoon.

That is just awesome. I cannot wait to see some test stills. Very awesome Bjall.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back