Not enough Obi-Wan ANH love around here lately

bcstanding

This is from Roman's latest rebelscum run a few months ago. I don't think I'm quite done yet (the rust is too orange, and I may do other stuff). But what do you think?

obi_rc1_full.jpg

obi_rc1_emitter_full.jpg

obi_rc1_emit_windv.jpg

obi_rc1_grenade.jpg

obi_rc1_clamp.jpg

obi_rc1_pommel.jpg

Looks great.
What process are you using on the frag body?
I recently assembled an Obi of my own, using Roman's parts. I used acrylics on the grenade to make it look like rusty steel.

Great looking saber. :thumbsup

Just curious, can the pommel be pushed a little more towards the booster? Looks like a rather large gap between the pommel and the booster. :confused

Oh and nice weathering on the table edge too...is that intentional? :D

It has ALWAYS bothered me that Obi Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master, would let his lightsaber fall in to that condition. Qui Gon must have dropped in over the years and tsk tsked him for letting that happen.
I suppose the deterioration of his saber mirrired his own atrophied force abilites....

Well now slow down a bit. :) As seen in the movie the lightsaber does not look so dilapidated, it is only in publicity photos and after-production documentation that we see how beat up the prop looked.

Are we to ascribe that condition to some intention on the part of the production, or to just the fact that many of the parts used were 20 to 50 years old and had been through a great deal during their history. ;)

I'm not arguing against making weathered versions mind you. It's nice to see more dark colors on stem and emitter.

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen so many great weathering jobs here I was inspired to try it myself. Keep your thoughts coming, people. :)

The frag body was done using 3 light coats of aluminum black, then I rubbed all the corners with the side of a hammer, then 1 more light coat of alublack, then I scraped the fragbody all over with the hammer again. Throughout the process I didn't do much alublack in the grooves because I wasn't sure how to do the rust there. I bought a kit at Roberts that is a rust antiquing solution, which is what I ended up using in the grooves.

Although I want screen accurate weathering effects, I completely agree with Serafino - I felt that "in universe" Obi-Wan wouldn't let his lightsaber deteriorate so much, so I've tried to strike a balance between how beat up the prop appears in production photos with enough weathering to make it look fairly close to what was seen onscreen. That's why I made it all scratched up, but no big scrapes or dents.

<div class='quotetop'>(gobler @ Oct 1 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1330311[/snapback]</div>
So can I have it? :D
[/b]

:) This will probably be the very last thing to leave my collection should I ever be forced to sell it.

SaberFreak, after looking at the pics again, you may be right on the booster needing to be pushed into the handwheel more. I can also tell by the emitter pic that the emitter isn't screwed onto the rod quite far enough, so there is definitely space in there somewhere where there shouldn't be any.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back