Fantastic Four (Post-release)

IMaybe because I am not that big a F4 fan as I am of everything else, I thought it was watchable.

I was expecting something batman and robin cringe worthy. but even in that arnold and alicia and alfred looked like they where having fun with it.
with 20 minutes left, I plan on watching the earlier version to see if there's a difference.

IMHO the best part of this movie is the score.

The movie had a muted feel to it. I hesitate to say dark.
The acting was meh. I try to give some actors the benefit of the doubt with this sort of thing, and blame the director for either making them say their lines a certain way or just the writer for not being able to come up with something that makes more sense.

Emo Dr. Doom was pretty bad.
Miles Teller is watchable.
I think Kate Mara is an average looking female who gets shoehorned into movies, but her acting ability is pretty weak.
I can't stand Michael B. Jordan, but I can see him growing on me like a benign tumor.
Jamie Bell was an anomaly. He was supposed to be the tough-guy, enforcer to Reed, but he didn't have anything about him that seemed intimidating. I can put aside him not being a big guy since the transformation to The Thing couldn't be proportionate to what he was compared to what he ends up as. But the voice kind of ruined it for me. They should have just gotten another actor altogether for The Thing voice.

I didn't mind the change in story from being in space to the interdimensional travel thing. What was stupid is how they go to this other world and just do stupid things, mainly Doom sticking his hand in the green glowing goo. The rocks flying into the pod Ben was in was also pretty dumb.

I really liked the look of CG The Thing. Better than the previous movie's version. The face seemed just a little off. But they could have done a lot worse. For example...

Overall this movie was watchable with a few WTF and cringe-worthy scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught this on TV the other night for the first time since renting it back when it first was available on DVD, and remembered why I'd never rented it again. It just felt like "Teentastic Four" and was just bad cinema.

If Captain America can be made interesting and relevant to the modern day, there's no reason that FF could not be. It would just take someone who knows what the F they're doing and actually cares about doing it right.

I still think FF would actually be one of the easiest to make into a good movie.

Step 1) Involve someone who actually LIKES the Fantastic Four

Neither of the last two attempts made it past step one.

AJTaliesen, I still think something heavily drawing from the Bendis/Millar/Ellis Ultimate FF books is the best way forward. The middle-aged Reed and permanent-damsel-in-distress Sue of the 1961 original just doesn't hold up. I like that in the Ultimate version, Reed is still the super-brain, but the leadership is more distributed. Johnny is the one who feels they should use their powers to be heroes. Sue is as hot-headed, in her own way, as her brother, and tends to take charge when Reed hesitates or urges taking more time to think about what they're doing... It's a nice dynamic. And the child-prodigy think-tank meshes nicely with the school in the new Spider-Man setting. The N-Zone teleporter is a better, hard-s/f maguffin for how they get their powers than stealing a spaceship to beat the Soviets to the moon.

I tend to think this works better than doing a flashback origin to the '80s or '90s (or even the '60s). I prefer more contemporary settings for the heroes to originate from, and don't want too many to be flashbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say again, read the John Byrne run of the 80s. It is the absolute best version of FF ever done. Absolutely incredible story telling, John's perfectly rendered artwork, and the best team dynamics the book ever had. This was where Sue really came into her own. She is most definitely NOT a damsel in distress here, and is often lauded as probably the strongest member of the team.

I tend to think this works better than doing a flashback origin to the '80s or '90s (or even the '60s). I prefer more contemporary settings for the heroes to originate from, and don't want too many to be flashbacks.

I still think 1960s period piece is the way to go. You can have Sue struggling against the sexist culture of the time. My only issue is that you can't have too many heroes with a time jump. Just Cap and the FF is fine. Any more and it gets repetitive. They are going to do a time jump with Captain Marvel as well, but we don't know how.

I still think 1960s period piece is the way to go. You can have Sue struggling against the sexist culture of the time. My only issue is that you can't have too many heroes with a time jump. Just Cap and the FF is fine.

The ages they were in the original comic? One of the problems I have with the original FF is that they were established people with lives who then had to adapt to having powers. We got to know them over time as they grappled with stuff. One thing to note about the various origin stories we have so far is that none of the heroes start out middle-aged and established in their lives. Not saying that kind of origin story can't be done, but it really needs to be tackled carefully to fit in with the generally "realistic" (or, at least, plausible) take the MCU has done so far. I think the closest we get have been the secondary characters -- Fury, Clint, Tasha, Sam, Hank Pym...

They are going to do a time jump with Captain Marvel as well, but we don't know how.

Are they? I hadn't seen anything to that effect. Just that we're going to be seeing Carol at the beginning of her heroing career in the '90s, before we run into her (presumably) out in space when Our Heroes go in pursuit of Thanos in Avengers 4. Have a feeling there's going to be no time-jump -- she'll have just been out doing her thing for a couple decades, as a champion of the cosmos, not Earth.

--Jonah

Step 1) Involve someone who actually LIKES the Fantastic Four

Neither of the last two attempts made it past step one.

aye. my point was, how many people really like fantastic four. this includes any audience. again, i don't think an orson welles version would fly anymore either...but that's just my opinion i reckon

A lot of people like the FF!! And you can't just pull the "what does the general public care about the FF" because let's face it, before the first Iron Man movie the general public didn't really care anything about him either.

The ages they were in the original comic? One of the problems I have with the original FF is that they were established people with lives who then had to adapt to having powers. We got to know them over time as they grappled with stuff. One thing to note about the various origin stories we have so far is that none of the heroes start out middle-aged and established in their lives. Not saying that kind of origin story can't be done, but it really needs to be tackled carefully to fit in with the generally "realistic" (or, at least, plausible) take the MCU has done so far. I think the closest we get have been the secondary characters -- Fury, Clint, Tasha, Sam, Hank Pym...

2 things, first, any variation in the type of origin story is a good thing. Second a good chunk of the MCU are basically middle aged when they get their powers, Tony, Bruce, Scott Lang, Strange, all qualify, unless I misunderstood your point.

Are they? I hadn't seen anything to that effect. Just that we're going to be seeing Carol at the beginning of her heroing career in the '90s, before we run into her (presumably) out in space when Our Heroes go in pursuit of Thanos in Avengers 4. Have a feeling there's going to be no time-jump -- she'll have just been out doing her thing for a couple decades, as a champion of the cosmos, not Earth.

I would prefer Carol living those 25 years normally, but she's not going to visibly age so there may be other factors involved.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back