Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Combination of different things I've got in my garage metal pins, nails, ally rivets ( but the heads need working on ) the best so for are copper roofing nails I can refine them easily on the lathe and easily hammered, but the lathe speed control has gone caput, until I order a new PCB the lathe is out of commission

2nd set done, refine then prime
image.jpg

wow...these are looking great!
Thanks Markus, I've got to find a supplier of the correct size washers, collets, copper rivets and copper pins if I'm going to make these for the kits, making them by hand is very time consuming, I can't wait to see these on a DV reveal mask.

I received my 2 metal discs back last night for the inside of the mask ( rubber backers for the brass discs ) I need to file the top disc to the correct shape then stick it to the bottom disc, then I need to make a mold of my metal discs then I can make a rubber backing disc !!!!

Any tips on mold making I've never done it before
IMG_0971.JPGIMG_0970.JPGIMG_0969.JPG
You get where I'm going with this, the pics loaded in reverse order.

That is a very easy mold.Glue the parts with double-sided adhesive tape in a frame and pour silicon from one corner in it.Make that slow that it has enough time to release possible airbubbles.

Update : rubber brass disc backer thingy !!!!
4 hours of filing, cramp in my hands and sore finger tips, I think the metal disc is now ready for casting,
IMG_0973.JPGIMG_0974.JPG
Ive put a rough unpolished brass disc in the centre to give the overall look, I can't wait to see the final rubber mold.
IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPG
Get the idea
IMG_0817.PNG

I modelled one about 10 years ago. But I never got around to moulding it. I should dig it out and see how close it was.
Yours looks fantastic.

Thanks for your kind comment Mark
Please please do, this molding process is a little confusing to me, there's that much different materials on the market I don't know what to go for, I want it to look the same as is and not look shiny like smooth silicone, my nephew works for a company that uses rubber for gaskets, he is going to find out on Monday next week to see what they can do, if I can get these done correct I will knock you a few up ;)
Im using the measurements gonk27 posted, post #603 so We are not sure if these are even correct, I can easily make more at different sizes.
when I've got a couple made up with brass discs I will send you one for you take a closer look at, that is if your willing to give me your input to get these correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I've seen the real Darth Vader Reveal helmet at STAR WARS Identities ... still like it a lot only it was better displayed back in the Paris reference shots :)

Chaïm
I've never seen it up close and personal as yet, im regularly drooling over the Paris expo photos by Cedric :p
I'm envious of you :cry did you manage to snag and photos of it ?

Here it the exact shape as traced from the mercedes typewriter parts. around 2005 i was working on my reveal with Michael Peter in Germany who was lucky enough to have found the right machine to scavenge parts. I was gonna make myself a new set soon. I have dimensions for many of the other metal parts as well.
:)linkages.jpg

linkages.jpg

Last edited:
Stevel48, did you used to be on the old yahoo reveal group? I’m sure our paths have crossed before. In fact I’m sure I had some reveal pieces from you back in the day?
Do you remember what model Mercedes it was?

I've never seen it up close and personal as yet, im regularly drooling over the Paris expo photos by Cedric :p
I'm envious of you :cry did you manage to snag and photos of it ?

No ... sorry I was in full jedi-costume as part of getting free access and didn't bring my camera along. Boots were killing me after 2 hours though :wacko

Chaïm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back