1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Every time I come back to this thread I throw up a little in my mouth, but in a good way, like when you asked that pretty girl to the dance in middle school and she said yes!!

Hey A,

Thanks so much! I'll take that compliment all day long! Very kind words! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Love it! Really looks good, Sofa!!

Thanks so much, T! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just gorgeous. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi S,

Thank you so much. Too kind!

That is beautiful... and i like the red wire connectors for the first box.. it gives a punch of color.. and i absolutely love those fins you added.. made me think of the front window of the MF! LOL

For the second box i like the idea of the pvc pipe.. but i could agree with you that a white one is weird... try blue!!

I like everything else very creative choices...and those clear acrylic pieces... and the lights !!

there,s a subject that I would like to share my humble opinion... it,s been tickling the back of my brain for a few years (now we talk in years oh dear LOL) It,s about the weathering... I hope that at the end you will do another pass of weathering everywhere to make it stronger... i think you,re very shy about the weathering. maybe it,s a first step you,re doing. for now... even with the weathering you,ve done until now... it's still look like new... maybe not as strong as the laser canon you,ve done a few years ago.. but something more damaged, used, transformed, recycled... I thnk you understand what i,m thinking... but still a big fan...an admirer of your dedictation and craftmanship!

Feel free to send me to hell!! LOL Can't wait for the next update... To be honest i checked in everyday to see some new posts LOL.. Yeah crazy me!!

Thumbs way up..

Éric

Hi E,

Thank you very much! I love the red wires as well! They tie in the small red dot on one of the greeblies and red wires wrapped around the coils.

Not sure where the "fins" came from but again, thanks! I'm really happy with how they turned out. I never even realized the similarity to the front window! :)

The weathering has been a source of MANY conversations over the past few years. I'm ready and willing to weather the greeblies but as far as weathering the actual panels I'm still a bit hesitant. While there is always that level of confidence as to whether I can do it, the other issue is that it's very difficult to see if there was any weathering done to the OT cockpit panels.

The TFA cockpit DEF had weathering done to the panels but I am looking to make a near screen accurate version of the ESB cockpit. So... I'm not sure how to move forward, if at all, with any weathering on the panels themselves. I'll probably paint and pin stripe a practice panel and see what I can come up with. :)

I appreciate the kind and encouraging words and the continued support! Thank you, my friend!

- - - Updated - - -

I am always looking forward to your updates SK. Best build on the RPF :eek hands down ( or up :D ) Can't wait till your next update :thumbsup

WOW! Thanks K! Very kind! Stay tuned for more! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Just incredible. You are really "leveling up" in your design work! Amazing!!

Hi M,

Thank you, my friend! I really struggled with these designs. I'm really happy with how they turned out. I didn't photograph 90% of the misc designs I had prior to these final versions. I was going through box after box of greeblies hoping for that perfect SW look and feel!

Thanks so much for the continued support!

I had my doubts when I saw your half circle fins, but they really look the part when you put it all together. The bays turned out amazing good!

The circuit board is a thing of beauty, and I think you've find an excellent way to get mileage out of your old fuses. Are you planning to put them in that position permanently?

Hey FF,

I did too! But the moment they were all side by side (even without paint) I knew I was on the right track. I knew adding paint would either make or break the design - it was a total shot in the dark!

I do plan to add the fuses to the old circuit board. After I finished the boxes I was wiped out... happy but wiped out! ;) I'm thinking of adding Blue LEDs to the fuses to give that panel, and the cockpit entrance in general, some life.

Thanks so much for the kind words! :)

- - - Updated - - -

...but I'll keep an open mind and give the kids a chance.

We wont know until we know... ;)

So, ESB-era yokes. Guess they'll be going for the 5 landing gear boxes then. :)

The turquoise hallway colour is an... interesting choice.

Hey NKG,

Canon would have the Han Solo series go back to the original A New Hope cockpit which wasn't as deep and there were virtually no greeblies attached to any of the panels. But, the cockpit exists and it makes financial sense to just use what's available. My hope is that they dress the cockpit with more ESB screen accurate greeblies and add the overhead canopy boxes (TFA removed them) and the other real world parts that many of us have been able to identify!

The hallways is probably the same color, I'm sure it's just a lighting issue. :)

...Anyways, sorry, to derail your thread, Sofa! I was just particularly excited by this photo and had some thoughts. Personally, I think you and the team you should all get together for a group photo in the style of the movie promo posted above, with you in the center in a leather jacket. Just a thought.

- Master Tej -

Hey MT,

No worries at all! Any SW talk is GOOD SW talk! :) I loved the new photo! Although I don't see any real physical resemblance to HF, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Stand Alone film. I hope its a wild and amazing ride! The one scene I hope we see is how Han won the MF from Lando! I hope its in a dark, dank backwards, outer rim world with fellow smugglers ans scoundrels!

A group photo? I'll see what I can do! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should send your pics to JJ and ask him to give you a job to decorate the MF cockpit for the next movie;) No, seriously Sofa, ask ! These boxes are the bomb:cool You've been doing that stuff for so long now, that you have the StarWars look to a tee!!

Hey J,

Thank you, my friend! It would be such a thrill to just to see the full scale sets in person... working along side all those guys and gals would be a dream come true!

I thought they looked a little like the MF windows singularly. As a whole unit, the shield generator on Hoth is where my mind went. Looks very cool in-situ though. :)

Great posting Sofa. Awesome photos of the updates. Love them.

TY Master T. On a relook at the photo, wow, yes I see Woody. I know him from Cheers and Fraiser days. He's great. I still don't see Han in who you describe. Apparently the other guys are the directors. I appreciated their previous works so here's hoping?

;)

Last edited:
Hey NKG,

Canon would have the Han Solo series go back to the original A New Hope cockpit which wasn't as deep and there were virtually no greeblies attached to any of the panels. But, the cockpit exists and it makes financial sense to just use what's available. My hope is that they dress the cockpit with more ESB screen accurate greeblies and add the overhead canopy boxes (TFA removed them) and the other real world parts that many of us have been able to identify!

The hallways is probably the same color, I'm sure it's just a lighting issue. :)

Yeah, I really don’t see them bothering to recreate the ANH look at all, from this shot. It’s definitely going to be light mod of the TFA cockpit, no doubt. I wouldn’t think money comes into it, though. The cost of rebuilding a small set like the Falcon’s cockpit is insignificant compared to the cost of marketing. :)

I don’t mind changes that make narrative sense. It’s just the random changes that irritate me as they break any sense of story logic. For example, the extra pipes and crap festooning the TFA Falcon make a certain degree of sense. As does a new dish. It’s a crappy old ship, and has been patched up over the years. Fine. But then, why is the cockpit cleaner on the inside than the ESB version? Why are the engines and engine grilles, which would presumably be a really expensive thing to replace, different? That sort of stuff makes no narrative sense to me.

But as always, it’s just a space fantasy, so whatever. :)

- nkg

I thought they looked a little like the MF windows singularly. As a whole unit, the shield generator on Hoth is where my mind went. Looks very cool in-situ though. :)

Great posting Sofa. Awesome photos of the updates. Love them.

TY Master T. On a relook at the photo, wow, yes I see Woody. I know him from Cheers and Fraiser days. He's great. I still don't see Han in who you describe. Apparently the other guys are the directors. I appreciated their previous works so here's hoping?

;)

Hey R,

Thanks again! I do recall thinking about the ESB Shield Generator when I put the painted fins in place! :)

Yeah, I really don’t see them bothering to recreate the ANH look at all, from this shot. It’s definitely going to be light mod of the TFA cockpit, no doubt. I wouldn’t think money comes into it, though. The cost of rebuilding a small set like the Falcon’s cockpit is insignificant compared to the cost of marketing. :)

I don’t mind changes that make narrative sense. It’s just the random changes that irritate me as they break any sense of story logic. For example, the extra pipes and crap festooning the TFA Falcon make a certain degree of sense. As does a new dish. It’s a crappy old ship, and has been patched up over the years. Fine. But then, why is the cockpit cleaner on the inside than the ESB version? Why are the engines and engine grilles, which would presumably be a really expensive thing to replace, different? That sort of stuff makes no narrative sense to me.

But as always, it’s just a space fantasy, so whatever. :)

- nkg

Hey N,

There is part of me that wants them to go back and use the original ANH cockpit for the reasons you said - continuity and story logic. But the ESB cockpit is the fan favorite so I'm ok with a little fudging with the sets. If we wanted, we could ask when all the changes to the ESB cockpit were made in between episodes? Where did Han get the money to extended the cockpit 15 inches? It's these little things I can let go of. Just give me a GREAT story where I can forget about the real world for a few hours.

From what I can tell, it would appear that the dirt and grime has been removed - not enough info to really tell. And if Rey has in fact taken over the Falcon she and Chewie are more than likely going to clean the interior the best they can. When we buy a used car the first we do is clean the interior, polish and wax the old paint! Make the car what we want. :) The EPVIII images that leaked of the exterior set does appear to be less sand color and more the traditional greys we know and love so again it makes sense to me that these subtle changes with have both series using the same cockpit / sets. I just hope they use more real world greeblies instead of the 3D printed versions they used for TFA.

As I mentioned, I just don't recall ever seeing any real weathering in the ESB or RotJ cockpits. I am getting old so my eyesight might be going! It was only the TFA version that showed the panels being mucked up and rightfully so since it hadn't flown in years and sat with the ramp open.

As far as esthetics and details... I can only guess that the set designers "tried" to get as close to the OT sets vs models the best they could. Only a trained eye can find all the differences.

As you said... it is a Space Fantasy. And a cool one, too! ;)

I don't get how you do it. I get tired scrolling through the photos! But you plan and create and build all of that, and then photograph and post and .... and I get tired scrolling through them!

Heh, I've thought about the studio offering you a job, but I imagine the phone conversation like this: "Your work is very impressive and as good or better than what a whole team with huge budget can do." "Thanks!" "We have a movie coming up and you might be who we need!" "Really?!" "Maybe! By the way, how long did it take you?" "Oh, it's been years and I'm still not done!" ".....uh, so good job again, and.... hobbies are great!" "....hello?"

But, seriously, I bet you could do it on a movie schedule of a few months. If you had the resources and were working full time on it and had a team, you could probably match the pros. Great job.

I don't get how you do it. I get tired scrolling through the photos! But you plan and create and build all of that, and then photograph and post and .... and I get tired scrolling through them!

Heh, I've thought about the studio offering you a job, but I imagine the phone conversation like this: "Your work is very impressive and as good or better than what a whole team with huge budget can do." "Thanks!" "We have a movie coming up and you might be who we need!" "Really?!" "Maybe! By the way, how long did it take you?" "Oh, it's been years and I'm still not done!" ".....uh, so good job again, and.... hobbies are great!" "....hello?"

But, seriously, I bet you could do it on a movie schedule of a few months. If you had the resources and were working full time on it and had a team, you could probably match the pros. Great job.

LOL! I'm on a mission! ;) I actually enjoy most every part of this build except the sanding! After almost 5 years, I've learned to hate sanding.

That's probably exactly how that phone conversation would go! If I had a dedicated team of enthusiasts, we worked full time, unlimited resources, deep pockets and had as much, if not more, fun building these props we could probably cut that time by 5-7% lol

Imagine being the crew that gets the words that their working on a SW film! How amazing would that be! The hardest part would be having to keep your mouth shut and not disclose / discuss anything!

Thank you, as always, for the kind words and the continued support.

Hi Gang,

The PC is fixed and I'm starting to design the next phase of the build! I'm hoping to have 4 new black lids for both the upper panels and the new panel boxes! I'm looking into using a gas strut or something similar but I can't find one lower than a 10-15 lb strut. I don't want the gas strut to violently push the lids down when unlocked. If I could find some used struts where the gas is gone - that would be perfect!

You guys / gals have any ideas?

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this thread, the detail is astounding.

I have to ask HOW in the world you get your information about what each of these panels look like, as I've never seen the kind of micro-level set photos that would serve as a resonable guide. I commend you

If it's not too much trouble with these posts, maybe you could indicate at the outset which panel you are working on at any given time, as the pics are amazing, but for someone who doesn't know the cockpit like you do, it's hard to see how and where all the puzzle pieces fit...

Rock on!

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this thread, the detail is astounding.

I have to ask HOW in the world you get your information about what each of these panels look like, as I've never seen the kind of micro-level set photos that would serve as a resonable guide. I commend you

If it's not too much trouble with these posts, maybe you could indicate at the outset which panel you are working on at any given time, as the pics are amazing, but for someone who doesn't know the cockpit like you do, it's hard to see how and where all the puzzle pieces fit...

Rock on!

Hey BF,

Thanks so much! I've tried my absolute best to be a screen accurate to the ESB cockpit as possible. Those areas we can't see we're forces us to make it up as we go.

Fellow RPFer Steve Starkiller is responsible for all the details you see (minus the cockpit entrance). Starkiller has spent the last several years building a full scale 3D model(s) of the Millennium Falcon - both a screen accurate interior and exterior and an actual full scale version (a "what if") should we ever get to the point of building a full scale exterior around the full scale interior sets we've seen. The dimensions of the later's exterior are not an exact replica of the on screen scale models.

I've tried in the past to start each thread with a brief description of what I'm working on for that exact reason but I'll def take a bit more time with my intros! :)

Thanks again for the kind words!

The attention to detail is just awesome! I've followed this thread for months now and I'm still impressed.. a lot impressed!!
I have a question but it might have been answered already. Do you ever plan to exhibit this prop ?

Hi sofa

For hinges what about these:
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/locker-stay/534
Also look at related items for different ones.
These are all different ones I sell at work that caravans use for cupboards etc.

Hope that gives some inspiration.

But tbh I would have thought you could make your own by creating a outer body and slider and fit a spring inside that is right tension you need then you could get look you after.

As for spares leave it with me I will get a link for you as they are all in a new section of the website that's not fully live yet and I only have link to it works pc.

(Depending on hinges I might be able to sort you a couple I have found several old regulators etc that at some point I'd like to send over to you but I need to make sure I have money's worth to send).

Loosebruce

The attention to detail is just awesome! I've followed this thread for months now and I'm still impressed.. a lot impressed!!
I have a question but it might have been answered already. Do you ever plan to exhibit this prop ?

Hi Sano,

Thanks so much! As I've mentioned, I'm trying VERY hard to be as screen accurate as possible. We haven't attended any shows because I thought it necessary to rebuild several areas of the cockpit - the nose, canopy and Volvo panels to be more specific. Unfortunately, this took a LOT longer than I had anticipated and I'm subject to life's little obstacles such as time and money.

We were planning on Star Wars Celebration this year in Orlando but money, time and manpower weren't there for us to finish on time. When she's finished we're hoping for a long run of events so people can enjoy and take part of the project!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back