Luke ANH vs. ESB Lightsaber + TFA. Do I have this right??

Tom1971

Sr Member
I have been studying up on the differences. I want to make sure I have this right.

Both classic Graflex 3 Cell flash handle

ANH:

Bear Tab included

Calculator bubbles on clamp for ANH.

Graflex Logo covered ????????????????????????? I assume it was covered by some tape as well.

Graflex Original clear eye on the bottom for ANH.

7 Grip strips. Glued

Simple folded metal and riveted for D ring

ESB:

Bear tape on some, not on others.

Circuit board thing for ESB clamp

Graflex logo on clamp covered two ways. On some a 1/2" piece of mylar tape and others a 1" piece of textured aluminum tape

Added big red button with texture grip base from second Graflex to replace glass eye in ESB. So it had the same big red button assembly on the top and bottom.

6 grip strips with notches to the rear and riveted or screwed in in addition to being glued.

Kobold slide on reflector mount for D ring. Notch facing out on some. Flipped over for others like Wampa scene.

TFA:

Same as ESB only they ditched the big red bottom button assembly for a original glass eye which makes it slightly off from the ESB one Luke lost

Do I have that all right???

i think we have ruled that in the force awakens trailer the beer tab is still there, and there is no silver tape around the clamp. there is a thread around here with people debunking it

Activation Lever

ESB:

Right side on the bottom

ANH:

Also right side on the bottom.

Master Replicas had one that had the activator switch on the left top side. That was the LE and the Elite had it like ESB on the right and down.

I assume the MR L.E. was wrong???

I don't think there was tape on the ANH saber. At least, I've never seen anything firm to indicate it in any promo or screen shots.

Also, the clamp switched positioned between filming and the promo shots. The clamp lever is on the left side when Luke is handed it for the first time, and also in the training scene, but is on the right side in the publicity photos.

Filming/On set:
4TEhu20.jpg

JQ3nMNv.jpg

rro03kq.jpg

Promo/Toe pic:
TvT1V9N.jpg

i think we have ruled that in the force awakens trailer the beer tab is still there, and there is no silver tape around the clamp. there is a thread around here with people debunking it

Just saw a great shot showing the bear tab on TFA saber but it also looks like there is just a hole and no glass eye????

The problem is the beer tab or the number of grips. What I would do is decide which saber I like the most, and if you need to wait to see TFA to decide, I would wait. If your favorite is ANH or ESB, and you are sure of that, I'd go with that one.

So for ANH screen accuracy the activator is on the left top. Excellent. The MR Elite is wrong and LE is right as far as the movie.

Yes, I forgot the best option: all three. So you want three separate saber's or less than three with interchangeable pieces?

Yes, I forgot the best option: all three. So you want three separate saber's or less than three with interchangeable pieces?

Three separate. I will also have Vader ANH, ESB, ROTJ. Luke ROTJ Reveal. Like before. I had 22 sabers total. 18 Helmets, and lots of other stuff. I will rebuild,....maybe :wacko

- - - Updated - - -

The ring is there obviously but here and in the great pic showing the bear tab I can not see the eye. But as you say it's there. Really should be the big red button though.

Where is the pic showing the TFA beer tab? Don't think I've seen it!

ill dig around today, there was stills taken from the trailer, leia turns the saber around in her hand. before that is when i believe guys on here have ruled the beer tab is in place, it may be in the graflex TFA thread, ill report back when i find it

For a battle damaged saber, that fell through a shoot into a open sky from the city in the clouds. Loosing only the bulb eject button (Big red Button)not bad, no blood from Luke`s hand, no damage from the obvious thousands of feet it fell with a hand attached to it, Morbid to say the least!

I prefer Lukes Light saber over Anakins which is Star Wars, Esb luke saber =/

ill dig around today, there was stills taken from the trailer, leia turns the saber around in her hand. before that is when i believe guys on here have ruled the beer tab is in place, it may be in the graflex TFA thread, ill report back when i find it

This is the image with the beer tab 'visible':
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434208721.391044.jpg
This was posted by mvanwalks421

Last edited by a moderator:
For a battle damaged saber, that fell through a shoot into a open sky from the city in the clouds. Loosing only the bulb eject button (Big red Button)not bad, no blood from Luke`s hand, no damage from the obvious thousands of feet it fell with a hand attached to it, Morbid to say the least!

I prefer Lukes Light saber over Anakins which is Star Wars, Esb luke saber =/

My my theory behind this is this... Luke added an extra red button for ease of igniting the saber now having the button on both sides. If you look at the way hamill holds the graflex the bunny ears face down, I would figure it would be held the other way around. Bunny ears up, or should I say bunny ears in facing yourself. This is how Anika's holds it in ROTS. Anyway, maybe Luke liked to hold the saber like that but the button was uncomfortable so he added another red button for ease...

this is is where my fan fiction goes off the chart ready? Lol many times on dagobah you see the graflex with the top (bunny ear side) red button missing, while training maybe yoda said 2 buttons was like cheating and you should only have 1 activation button. And Luke was training with the more comfortable button he recently added..

this is is totally debunked because we see Luke on bespin with 2 red buttons again racing the halls and chasing boba fett... But that's how I always explained those scenes to myself.

as for the saber falling all they way down from cloud city I don't think like that. it could have been sucked up and dumped somewhere else in cloud city, OR it could have landed on something below them. Something I never noticed until recently watching was when Luke is sucked out the window the saber is in hand, he's then hanging on the edge and you can see the saber on the platform to the left...

you never know what's going to happen because we never saw where the saber ended up

if we want to get super technical the saber in Luke's hand when cut off is the stunt from ANH with 7 grips instead of 6, and I don't think it even has bunny ears on it lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back