Game of Thrones

Hey Night King! You done screwed up now! You think killing a dragon would demoralize your enemy? No. The only thing you've done is **** off its mother, a woman notorious for answering even small slights by setting just about everything on fire.

I don't care what anyone says, loved the episode.

I think you can love the episode or at least aspects of it, and dislike other aspects.

I did love where the episode left the audience (mostly). I just did not love how it got there.

Somehow that fight against the wight's managed to not be that great simply because it lasted too long. That sequence could easily have been tightened up. As a swimmer I can say without equivocation folks are spending WAY too much time underwater fully clothed in battle armor or layers of furs. Jon, wearing what he was, would have been hard pressed to get back up to the surface and would have frozen Tom death on the ride back to Eastwatch.

Uhhh....the....um.....fur was actually walrus fur! With the blubber! So, he had positive buoyancy! Yeah! That's the ticket!

Seriously, though, that whole sequence was incredibly stupid, and the only purpose for it was to bring Benjen in and then immediately kill him off, so that people wouldn't be wondering "Hey, where's Benjen?" like I did right at the start of the episode. Otherwise, it served no purpose.

I think they could of have benjen jump into the water after John. Just have a rope attached to his horse to pull them both out of the water.i think that would be more realistic than John & Jamie both have floaters on their armor this season.

Uhhh....the....um.....fur was actually walrus fur! With the blubber! So, he had positive buoyancy! Yeah! That's the ticket!

Seriously, though, that whole sequence was incredibly stupid, and the only purpose for it was to bring Benjen in and then immediately kill him off, so that people wouldn't be wondering "Hey, where's Benjen?" like I did right at the start of the episode. Otherwise, it served no purpose.

I agree it was insulting AF, but it did serve another purpose. It served the narrative of Dany falling in love with Jon. Several of you have said that it should not have been Jon that stayed behind, because we all know he ain't dyin' in the penultimate episode of the penultimate season. So let's say it was Davos who stayed and occupied the dead, buying time for Dany and the rest--including Jon--to escape on the dragon. That doesn't serve the love narrative very well. The writers felt that Dany needed to witness Jon's selfless heroism on full display, in battle, in order to fall madly in love with him. Which would then pave the way for a touching scene between him (shirtless, with mysterious scars from wounds that would have killed any mortal) and her (comforted by his touch and words as she mourns the loss of her child).

The writing was absurd, but they wrote it that way to serve the love narrative between the show's two biggest stars.

Big turn off.

The Wook

ps~I also hated the absurdity of the NK chucking that spear far, so fast, and so perfectly aimed.

I agree it was insulting AF, but it did serve another purpose. It served the narrative of Dany falling in love with Jon. Several of you have said that it should not have been Jon that stayed behind, because we all know he ain't dyin' in the penultimate episode of the penultimate season. So let's say it was Davos who stayed and occupied the dead, buying time for Dany and the rest--including Jon--to escape on the dragon. That doesn't serve the love narrative very well. The writers felt that Dany needed to witness Jon's selfless heroism on full display, in battle, in order to fall madly in love with him. Which would then pave the way for a touching scene between him (shirtless, with mysterious scars from wounds that would have killed any mortal) and her (comforted by his touch and words as she mourns the loss of her child).

The writing was absurd, but they wrote it that way to serve the love narrative between the show's two biggest stars.

Big turn off.

The Wook

ps~I also hated the absurdity of the NK chucking that spear far, so fast, and so perfectly aimed.
I think you nailed it on what the writers were doing there.

Next week, Dany gets 9" of Snow...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Big turn off.

The Wook

I suppose that makes sense. I just think they could've done it differently, and in a way that didn't break believability. I don't mind Jon narrowly escaping. I mind him narrowly escaping in a way that should have virtually guaranteed his death.

I think you nailed it on what the writers were doing there.

Next week, Dany gets 9" of Snow...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Winter is coming.

Ew.

I dunno y'all, I feel like this is *maybe* the episode where we jumped the shark...

I'm feeling that, too :(
I've been rewatching the entire series from the beginning.
Gods, the first 4 seasons are so good...
It would have been hard to wait it out, but I wish D&D had put the show on hold and waited for GRRM to finish the books.
It's starting to play out like fan fiction.

Banerys Targaryen, the oh-so-much-cooler version. The Wheel-Breaker we need, but not the one we'll get right now:

54MtK.jpg

"Ahhh, you think a dragon is your ally. You merely adopted the dragon. I was reborn with them, molded by them. I didn't see Westeros until I was already a woman, by then it was nothing to me but knees bending!"

"No one cared who I was until I hatched the dragons."

"Slaver's Bay is YOURS, none will interfere. Do as you please!"

"I will show you where I have made my home while preparing to bring justice. Then I will break the wheel."

Cersei: "I am in charge, not you!"
Banearys: "Do you feel in charge?"
Cersei: "I control this city! I control the gold!
Banaerys: "And this gives you power over me? Your money and infrastructure have been important... until now."

"Rulership has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you. Theatricality and deception... powerful agents to the uninitiated. But we are initiated... aren't we Cersei?"

"You fight like a younger woman, with nothing held back. Admirable. But mistaken."

The dragon being killed with a lance throw atleast 500 yards is crazy. Also the dragon being a zombie now doesn't scare me.

This is not a reply aimed at you per se, but a lot of people are taking issue with the javelin through. So we can accept fire breathing dragons. We can accept a being that can raise the dead, was created when dragonglass was shoved through his heart, lives for thousands of years, and seems to control the weather to a degree. But we draw the line at the ability to throw a magical spear a long way with perfect aim. Got it.

I don't care what anyone says, loved the episode.

Totally agree. I LOVED all the banter amongst the party. It was great. And it showed them coming together.

I'm ok with that scene closing the thread on Benjen. No more wondering. Like I still wonder about Ghost. Where the heck is he???

It served the narrative of Dany falling in love with Jon. Several of you have said that it should not have been Jon that stayed behind, because we all know he ain't dyin' in the penultimate episode of the penultimate season. So let's say it was Davos who stayed and occupied the dead, buying time for Dany and the rest--including Jon--to escape on the dragon. That doesn't serve the love narrative very well. The writers felt that Dany needed to witness Jon's selfless heroism on full display, in battle, in order to fall madly in love with him. Which would then pave the way for a touching scene between him (shirtless, with mysterious scars from wounds that would have killed any mortal) and her (comforted by his touch and words as she mourns the loss of her child).

Totally agree with why Jon was the one to stay behind. It showed Dany who he was, and what he represents. And now she's seen his scars as well.

Again, no issue with the spear throw.

I'm also very disappointed by the Arya/Sansa thing. I can't get past Arya being duped, or the two of them playing Littlefinger's game for him. Ugh.

Arya isn't playing LF's game exactly. She's playing her own. She's testing Sansa's loyalty, and she passed.

I want to know how John was able to be bitten by those fiends and not turn.

When did Jon get bit?

Yeah, that's part of it. And because they can't have a huge, climactic battle between the various Iron Throne factions, either, so you get the commando mission (which is still deeply stupid -- JUST TAKE YOUR NEWLY UNDEAD REDSHIRT AND GO HOME!!!)

This was my only issue with the episode. They should have just dragged that first dead guy home, and waited for him to turn. But now that I think about it, recent events show the NK having to raise the dead. Only in earlier episodes did the dead rise on their own.

I felt that Sansa's sending Brienne to King's Landing was intentional to remove her from the equation so Little Finger can't use her as a pawn. Yes, he'll know that she's left, but I think that it's pretty clear that he's waging a defensive war and between the Starks and his survival. Both sides are playing games and I'm not all that sold that Arya is blind to what he's doing. I think she's using the situation to see where Sansa's loyalties lay and isn't really planning on killing her at all. Once she knows Sansa is loyal to the family she's going to kill Little Finger.

As for this episode, I don't think it was a throw away episode at all. It'll ensure that all know the army of the dead is real, let Daenarys know that she really has feelings for Jon, solidified the north and Daenarys as allies, gave the Night King a dragon, and let us hear the C word in creative ways.

Agree with all this.

Arya is testing Sansa's loyaltees (the lying game). Sansa passed. I really enjoyed the tension between the two.

Yep. Giving her the dagger sealed it for me.

This is just spit-balling, but I have a feeling that the Night King somehow knew, or at least had strong suspicions about what was about to go down. We don't know the extend of his powers, but he's able to catch Bran every time he tries to spy on him, so, the theory that the NK is a time traveling Bran stuck in whoever used to be the NK aside, I think the NK has similar abilities to see the past and the future. Hence why he waited for the dragons to show up, conveniently had magical ice spears at his disposal, and big ass chains for later. That was his plan all along.

Agreed. This was a setup by the NK. Why else would Bran have saw him in that exact same spot when he was warged into the raven? The NK was baiting the trap.

And now for a couple thoughts of mine:

1) People are making a big deal about the dragon having blue eyes so he must be a white walker and not a dragon wight. The bear had blue eyes too. I don't think that means anything more than that he was brought back to life.

2) I'm not sure how it would work in the plot, but could Melisandre be the one that snipped Varys? Have we seen any other indication that Red Priests/Priestesses hear voices in the flames? I thought they only saw visions.

From the opening of the first show in season 1, the dead which have been brought back have blue eyes. Not just the Others\White Walkers.

Varys already got his revenge on the wizard that snipped him. It was back in season 2 or 3 I think. It was a great scene between him and Tyrion.

I have this sudden and positively HILARIOUS mental image of the NK and the AotD facing off against Sterling Archer and the gang at ISIS.

Specifically, Archer doing a "RRRAAAMMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGE!", Cyril doing "SUPPRESSING FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!", Krieger and Cheryl fangasming over all the corpses, and Pam going all King Kong on the Night King himself.

Jon Snow: "I can't watch."
Tormund: "Who's the big woman?"
Clegane: "Would you look at that... Those c***s are actually winning."
Davos: "Your Grace, perhaps some dragonfire would help them out."
Dany: "No. Too risky. The fat one might try to eat Drogon."

I'm kinda conflicted about this episode, and maybe season 7 in general.
So far it's given me everything I've wanted - everything we've been building up to since the beginning.
Dragons versus white walkers!!!!
This last episode was a white knuckle ride, and I loved it!
But things are happening too quickly - in the world, I mean.
I would have bought the dragons showing up north of the wall more if Dany had just said "I had a hunch",
rather than the show expecting me to believe that Gendry ran all the way to the wall, ravens flew all the way to Dragonstone, and Dany flew all the way north, all in the span of a single day.
That's completely ridiculous.

You know, I thought that with this season being shorter it would be good, fewer episodes means no filler. Sadly, they took out the filler and sped up the pace of the show, a lot. With the way they're writing things they really could have used a few more episodes to flesh things out a bit more and slow the pace of the season a tad. The Arya-Sansa-Littlefinger plotline is the only, so far, that's working with this quicker pace, but others, like the Jon-Dany romance really could use a couple more episodes of development. They also could use more episodes just to simply avoid having everybody travel from one end of Westeros to the other in half an hour's time.

I liked the Hound provoking them. That felt in character. I didn't like that nobody was smart enough to break the damn ice. He was holding s bloody warhammer. Why not just break the ice?!?! There was a lot of stuff like that in the episode.

--EDIT--

Other examples (now that I'm at a PC)

1. You need a walking dead guy, right? You're in the North, north of the Wall, even, where literally every person who dies is going to turn into a wight unless you burn them. You've just tangled with an undead bear, and he killed...I dunno, Steve. Whoever the wildling expendable was. Why not just wait a night for him to turn? You can tie him up, even, before he turns, and then just...take him back. Like, literally, there was the sequence where they're all on the island in the middle of the lake, and Thoros has died, and they say "Oh, we have to burn him or he'll turn." WHY DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THAT BEFORE?! This goes well beyond the kind of "Why didn't they just fly on an eagle and drop the ring in" bit from LOTR. Way, way beyond.

2. Breaking the ice. This was a big one for me. We've already established that, apparently, the dead can't float and can't march underwater (for some reason). Ok, fine. The Hound threw the rock and showed the dead they could walk on the ice. Funny moment, also fine. BREAK THE ICE, DUMMY.

3. Jon says "FALL BACK!" My wife and I, in unison, say "TO WHERE?!"

There were other issues with the episode, too, but they were of a different nature. I'll post about that later.

Very good points. I too was yelling at my TV, "Break the ICE!" and "Fall Back to WHERE???"

I think there was some poor editing at play here. Still a fairly satisfying episode, just not the Epicness I had hoped for.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back