Best way to mold this? Hopefully my last question for a bit!

...I see you are in the uk...I have some nice low density pu foam you can try (it is about the same density as balsa foam, or flower arranging oasis...but not crumbly)...how much do you need and I'll send you some.

M

Sorry to keep coming back on this one - I've had a look around and I'm getting a bit confused about the high density foam - I keep finding stuff on rolls and that can't be right!

Is it the same stuff they use for insulation? I'm assuming it's going to be a lot more dense and a lot tougher than that.

I found this stuff, but it seems a little on the expensive side for 30cm x 30cm;

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/pattern-making/high-density-polyurethane-foam-block.aspx

I also found these guys;

http://www.tridentfoams.co.uk/tricast.html

Just curious if I'm on the right track, at the moment I can't see how I'd get the correct thicknesses from something like this, whereas with MDF I can get thinner sizes, or layer up.

I'm keen to use the foam if that's the most suitable material, I'm just wary of spending on the wrong thing!

Thanks again.

The name "Foam" is tossed around a lot, but there are different types of foam. My beer has foam, but I can't build anything with it. They are classified by chemical base, rigidity, and density.

Flexible Foam will come in sheets or rolls, and can be Polyurethane, Polyethylene, EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate)

Ridged Foams will be Polystyrene, EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene: ice chest), or Polyurethane

Your first link to the green foam looks like a high density polyurethane, and is WAY TOO expensive for prop building.

Link #2 has ridged Polyurethane but I see no prices. The 64Kg/M^3 is roughly equal to 4lb/ft^3. This would be my choice.

2 lb foam is for armatures, where it is just holding space and will be covered in clay.
4 lb foam is good for sculpting forms and will hold its shape and fine detail
6 lb foam is still good for sculpting, and can be vacuformed right over it.
12 lb foam is closer to Balsa foam. it is pretty durable
20 lb foam is almost wood

hope that helps

My preferred building method is 4 pound ridged polyurethane. It shapes very quickly and doesn't dent too easy.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks minifig, I'd love to try some of that stuff, I'll drop you a PM.

The name "Foam" is tossed around a lot, but there are different types of foam. My beer has foam, but I can't build anything with it.

Literally made me lol.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the links and list that info, appreciate it.

The company have got back to me on the tricast and sent a datasheet etc, looks like that might be suitable so they're sending some small samples too, I'll post back in case it's helpful to anyone in the future.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back