Imperiflex - for painting urethane rubber

RA24_4_Me

I have heard whispers of this product from a couple of different prop builders as to working on urethane rubber, so I have some questions.

1. What is this mystical product, and why does a Google search only lead to dead links and out of stock sellers?

2. Anyone with experience using it? Does it work pretty well?

3. Any good suppliers out there?

In order: ;)

1.) Imperiflex is a 2:1:1 clear urethane based paint system that bonds extremely well to urethane and cures flexible. It has recently trickled out into the prop world, but it has been used on film stuff for years, being pretty well known for its ability to make a flexible chrome. Bear in mind, it is priced for the working professional, not the garage hobbyists. The price tag is pretty hefty! Another thing to keep in mind is you really want a professional set up to spray this stuff. Large compressor, air flow and evacuation, respirator and painters suit, etc. are a must.

2.) A few friends have more experience with it than me, but they use it for every urethane piece they paint and swear by it. From what I'm told, it does its job very well.

3.) The only way I know how to get it in the US is through Samuel Perea, the owner of Imperial Surface Technologies. I usually just reach him through Facebook when I need to restock on stuff.

Hope this has helped and answered your questions sufficiently. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Last edited:

1.) Imperiflex is a 2:1:1 clear urethane based paint system that bonds extremely well to urethane and cures flexible. It has recently trickled out into the prop world, but it has been used on film stuff for years, being pretty well known for its ability to make a flexible chrome. Bear in mind, it is priced for the working professional, not the garage hobbyists. The price tag is pretty hefty! Another thing to keep in mind is you really want a professional set up to spray this stuff. Large compressor, air flow and evacuation, respirator and painters suit, etc. are a must.

2.) A few friends have more experience with it than me, but they use it for every urethane piece they paint and swear by it. From what I'm told, it does its job very well.

3.) The only way I know how to get it in the US is through Samuel Perea, the owner of Imperial Surface Technologies. I usually just reach him through Facebook when I need to restock on stuff.

Hope this has helped and answered your questions sufficiently. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Ive tried several times over the past several months to reach that guy via facebook and he never replies to my messages.

Imperiflex is very good paint and it does what is advertised. My issue with it has been the cost and it hasn't been the easiest to get. And also a little bit of worry. Imperial Surface Technologies is a smaller company. A store local to me used to carry it a few years back but they struggled to keep it in stock because of supply. It does look like that is changing though.
I have used BJB paints as well and they work very well.
Over the last few months I spent some time researching paints and other companies. I found a different paint that acts the same as Imperiflex. There are alternatives if you know what to look for.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard whispers of this product from a couple of different prop builders as to working on urethane rubber, so I have some questions.

1. What is this mystical product, and why does a Google search only lead to dead links and out of stock sellers?

2. Anyone with experience using it? Does it work pretty well?

3. Any good suppliers out there?

Forgot to quote you so you see it.

- - - Updated - - -

So I asked in a different thread but that is now completely deleted. Why did you delete all of your info about Imperiflex?

So I asked in a different thread but that is now completely deleted. Why did you delete all of your info about Imperiflex?

Since you seem so intent on tracking my posts down and finding out, I was tired of sending people to Sam only to hear back two weeks later, “he never replied”.. or “he stopped replying”.. I’m all over the web advertising this material and that’s reflecting poorly on me.

I like Sam, I like his products, and once Imperial has a working site, that takes PayPal? I would be happy to recommend them again. The current system isn’t working.. so I, in good conscience, can’t send people that way.

Last edited:
Since you seem so intent on tracking my posts down and finding out, I was tired of sending people to Sam only to hear back two weeks later, “he never replied”.. or “he stopped replying”.. I’m all over the web advertising this material and that’s reflecting poorly on me.

I like Sam, I like his products, and once Imperial has a working site, that takes PayPal? I would be happy to recommend them again. The current system isn’t working.. so I, in good conscience, can’t send people that way.

i was only trying to track it down cause there was some good stuff in there but I think I remember most of it.
I saw they just redid their website so maybe that is changing. Regardless I picked up some different paint yesterday even though Sam is about 30 minutes from me.

Over the last few months I spent some time researching paints and other companies. I found a different paint that acts the same as Imperiflex. There are alternatives if you know what to look for.

i was only trying to track it down cause there was some good stuff in there but I think I remember most of it.
I saw they just redid their website so maybe that is changing. Regardless I picked up some different paint yesterday even though Sam is about 30 minutes from me.

Any information I have whether it’s posted, deleted, or not, is always available by simply PMing me. You are more than welcome, as is anyone.
I believe firmly sharing is the core of this site.

I am curious about this material you claim to have found. I have been looking at alternatives myself and would be open to chat about it and Imperiflex with you if you want. PM me.

Last edited:
Hi I am new to this forum but my web browser popped it up when I searched for painting on Urethane Rubber. I am interested in this subject because I am a coatings chemist and was approached some while ago by one of the big film studios because they were having difficulty getting the amerrican urethane painting product. We agreed to have a go at producing a substitute, actually we thought it would be easy, how wrong we were !!!!. It actually took several months but in the end we succeeded and I thought you guys might be interested. We have a small amount around the lab so I thought it would be an Idea to make up a few kits maybe 3 or 4 that you guys can have free of charge. I could make them up with a couple of hundred grams of resin and hardener and also put in some dyes. If any body is interested please let me know. One proviso though the material was designed for professional use only and because it a isocyanate cured urethane must only be used in an extracted environment an using the correct breathing mask.. I am away for 3 weeks from next week so please email me if you want to give it a try and I will make up the kits. Sorry UK only .

Hi all I have had one request for a test kit and have a few more so get your request in if you are interested. Time scale for them are about 4 to 5 weeks from now because because I am out of the Lab for 3 weeks from Friday 17th.
I hope the kit will consist of 200gms Astralfex pt A Resin and 100grms each of the hardener and reducer. If I can get the small Ampoules in time also a full set of lacquer dyes. I hope it will help with some of your projects. If you are interested could you post here or let meknow on colin@astrachrome.co.uk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back