Life Size Chucky ToTS - Voice Box/sound module ?

So let's say I get all these components,
how long to put it up and running ?

The LittleBits total cost would be over 100 euro.

- - - Updated - - -

Yo ChuckyDoll, when you got the arduino sound working, can you post a video of that ?

Yeah! Just put the delay into the sound file. That works! I didn't think of the sound sensor setting itself off from the sound that was playing. I'll have to play around with it once I get the parts. It's cool how you can just link together the things you need.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than a little nervous to open up the doll but it will be worth it once complete. I've never modded something like this before. I just happen to have some programming experience that makes it a little easier to learn. Plus most the code you can find online and take the pieces you need. Once I have it all working I'll post a link to the code so anybody can make it without having to program.

Yeah! Just put the delay into the sound file. That works! I didn't think of the sound sensor setting itself off from the sound that was playing. I'll have to play around with it once I get the parts. It's cool how you can just link together the things you need.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than a little nervous to open up the doll but it will be worth it once complete. I've never modded something like this before. I just happen to have some programming experience that makes it a little easier to learn. Plus most the code you can find online and take the pieces you need. Once I have it all working I'll post a link to the code so anybody can make it without having to program.
Cool !!! Can't wait.
Just adjust the volume of the mp3 player so that it doesn't set of the sound sensor. That should work I think. I could do without the timeout bit if I were to do that. But to be on the safe side, I can use the timeoutbit to keep the sensor from going nuts :lol
With Arduino you probably just can input some code that stops the sound sensor for an amount of time after it has triggered your player.

PS: Littlebits also has an Arduino bit

So let's say I get all these components,
how long to put it up and running ?

The LittleBits total cost would be over 100 euro.

- - - Updated - - -

Yo ChuckyDoll, when you got the arduino sound working, can you post a video of that ?

Are you talking about servos...etc..etc?

I cant help with the mounting and mechanical aspects of it.. but I can help with the servo code..etc.

If your talking about detecting a 'sound' and trigger playback..

not long at all.. less than 1 hour perhaps? (not sure about the 'sound sensor'.. might be able to use a pezio or something?)

I'm wrapping up a Rocketeer Jet Pack kit currently.. I can help on the side.. and fully once that is complete.. (has a lull)

I'll have to check and see if I have a 'sound sensor' laying around.. if so.. then I can for sure post something open source use.

ok.. I dug up a sound sensor...

We can detect any noise/sound above a certain threshold (which is set by a potentiometer on the sensor itself for sensitivity)

and trigger a 'random' audio file playback.

or

you can detect the 'level' of sound/noise it pick up and play pack an audio clip based on the 'level' then.

So a 'normal' level noise can trigger 'x' clip..

but a super loud one can trigger an 'easter egg' demon clip!

(or whatever... clip you wanted.. not VR... but sound level/threshold 'triggering')

I can do both.. what should the 'feature list' be?

with some more time/effort.. I could probably make it where where you flip a switch and it will trigger on motion/distance sensing... flip the switch the other way... it would trigger via the sound/noise levels..

ok.. I dug up a sound sensor...

We can detect any noise/sound above a certain threshold (which is set by a potentiometer on the sensor itself for sensitivity)

and trigger a 'random' audio file playback.

or

you can detect the 'level' of sound/noise it pick up and play pack an audio clip based on the 'level' then.

So a 'normal' level noise can trigger 'x' clip..

(or whatever... clip you wanted.. not VR... but sound level/threshold 'triggering')

I can do both.. what should the 'feature list' be?

with some more time/effort.. I could probably make it where where you flip a switch and it will trigger on motion/distance sensing... flip the switch the other way... it would trigger via the sound/noise levels..

Sounds cool !!!

Random playback would be a priority !!!

Set the sound sensor sensitivity so, that when the loudness of the speaker gets higher
than the threshold, it activates the mp3 player and plays a random clip.

A big question is,
if you can program/code the sound sensor so,
that when it detects a sound above the threshold,
the sound sensor would shut down for a period of time ( length of the sound clip )
right after activating the mp3 player.
So that when the mp3 player is playing the random clip,
it can't activate the sound sensor by accident.
( maybe you can code it so, that the mp3 player sends some sort of signal
to re-activate the sound sensor after it's done playing the clip ? )

Off course, you could make the loudness of the speaker so,
that it won't trigger the sound sensor,
but if you can somehow program/code it,
then there wouldn't be a risk of triggering it, while playing a clip.

Also a time delay when the mp3 player starts playing.
But that doesn't need to be coded per se .
You can just edit your sound files to begin with a 5 seconds silence
( or whatever delay you want )

Hopefully these are things that are possible ?

Last edited:

About that demon clip, that would be :

Sound I'm talking about start at around 1 minute.
Tried to post the the link that begins at the right time,
but it doesn't work.

Here's the direct link that does start at the right time:
https://youtu.be/pwL0PcIHtxQ?t=60

the duration of the "demon" clip would be 27 seconds
( from 1min through 1min27 )

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how the littlebits setup would look like.
Made a quick mockup with Photoshop.

First row = Power Bit + Sound Sensor
Second row = Timeout Bit + Mp3 Player
LittleBits mockup.jpg

Total length would be : +- 10,1 cm
Total Width would be : +- 3,8 cm
Highest Bit = Power Bit = 2,7 cm

These measurements don't include the battery and speaker

The soundboard I used in the video =
9 cm (length) x 4,7 cm (width) x +- 0,5 cm (hight)
So the overal size is slightly bigger than the littlebits,
but it's much smaller in height.
And also includes battery and speaker within the overall size.

With the Littlebits you have the option to divide the bits with a wire bit,
like in the picture.
So for example I could separate the power bit and put it in another place along with the battery or so.
So with the power bit separated, the overall size would consist of the sound sensor, timeout bit and mp3 player bit.
which is then +- 6,9 cm (length) x 3,8 cm (width) x +-1,3 cm (hight).
excluding the speaker. (the speaker you can also put somewhere else, like the power bit and battery

To minimize the hight you maybe can cut of the legs of each bit,
to make it less high. But I can't say for sure if that's possible, since I don't have any bits,....yet.

Off course if you don't want to use the sound sensor, you can also use :
Remote trigger - activated by using any infra red remote controll
Bluetooth Bit - Use your phone to activate the mp3 player and make Chucky talk !!
Pressure sensor - press it and it activates the mp3 player
PIR Motion sensor - Detects motion and activates the mp3 player

Please keep in mind that you can't achieve random playback with the Littlebits mp3 player !!

For anyone interested, I've updated the first post to include the video
of my usb sound module and also info on where to order it.

LittleBits mockup.jpg

A big question is,
if you can program/code the sound sensor so,
that when it detects a sound above the threshold,
the sound sensor would shut down for a period of time ( length of the sound clip )
right after activating the mp3 player.
So that when the mp3 player is playing the random clip,
it can't activate the sound sensor by accident.
( maybe you can code it so, that the mp3 player sends some sort of signal
to re-activate the sound sensor after it's done playing the clip ? )

This is quite normal behavior for most microprocessor projects.. so not a big deal/concern

This is quite normal behavior for most microprocessor projects.. so not a big deal/concern

Ok. Good to know.

So you would probably have to flick a switch to turn the power on first, right ?

Would be cool if somehow the power was always on,
but sort of in standby mode and you could turn it on remotely with your smartphone or something.
Maybe I'm overthinking it :D

update:

I busted out the needed components..

I need to mess with the sound sensor a bit.. these things seem a bit finicky..

Not sure how plausible these will be.. or how far away they will work.

update:

I busted out the needed components..

I need to mess with the sound sensor a bit.. these things seem a bit finicky..

Not sure how plausible these will be.. or how far away they will work.

Thanks for the update !!!
It doesn't need to work from far away. Closeby is good !!

I'll mess around some more tonight hopefully...

Just need to get this sensor to reliable 'detect' a sound above the threshold... I had to turn the pot A LOT (didnt even know they could turn that much) to dial down the level it triggers at.

I'll mess around some more tonight hopefully...

Just need to get this sensor to reliable 'detect' a sound above the threshold... I had to turn the pot A LOT (didnt even know they could turn that much) to dial down the level it triggers at.

Good luck !!
I'm excited to see what's coming !! :)

I did play around a bit more..

That sound sensor I have.. well it just doesnt seem very viable as a solution....

Unless you want to put your face like 2 inches away or something?

Not sure if my board is flawed or if this is really how they work? (if so.. they dont seem to be very good for....well anything!) LOL

Maybe I can check out some better sound detecting options/modules..

I did play around a bit more..

That sound sensor I have.. well it just doesnt seem very viable as a solution....

Unless you want to put your face like 2 inches away or something?

Not sure if my board is flawed or if this is really how they work? (if so.. they dont seem to be very good for....well anything!) LOL

Maybe I can check out some better sound detecting options/modules..

Thanks for trying the sound sensor.

I can't comment on sound sensors for Arduino, but the littlebits sound sensor works from a distance,
so I'm guessing your sound sensor isn't functioning properly or it's a wrong type of sound sensor or so.

Hopefully you can get it working !! :cool

This is the one I had on hand.. and was attempting to use:

http://sensorkit.en.joy-it.net/index.php?title=KY-038_Microphone_sound_sensor_module

I basically have everything done/coded... but the sensor is just a bit 'janky'...

I'll see if I get a video up tonight.

I'll post what I used.....

Arduino Pro-Mini ($2.00)
DFPlayer mini ($2.00)
KY-038 sound sensors ($2.00)
Some jumper wires
Few caps and resistors
External pot (for testing) to see external analog threshold value settings helps
Firmware/code
+5v voltage regulator ($1.00)

(total costs are very cheap)

I added an outside pot to allow setting of an analog value threshold.. so you can tweak the sensitivity on it yourself.......
* (not sure it works any better than the built in pot for the digital pin state)

Yep...

and to be fair.. that was just one I 'had on hand'.. from a larger 'sensor kit' that was purchased long ago.

I might do some research on a better approach or even just a different sensor.. (code is already ready.. so any edits shouldnt be a huge issue)

Maybe something like this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12642

Hmm.. I read that powering from USB can introduce alot of noise.. making the sensor not work great.

I was powering it from USB.... maybe I'll try a standalone battery pack next..

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back