Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

I used the synthetic dye that is already a liquid. I placed it in a pot and boiled it. I found the best results came from taking the sludge that forms on the bottom of the pot and painting that on the sole rubber.
Clean excess with water. It made the soled dark initially but they fade down after a few days. The process lasts about 6 months I guess. I would need to check my IG posts on when I did them to find out what time frame.

HERE is the products I used.

It seems I did them first late February and again in October 2017.

Dye is a great way to color shoes but you could always use fabric paint. Some tips for painting on dye, most dyes and fabric paints need to be heat for more permanence. Two ways to do this, a heat gun but use that with caution because it can melts shoes pretty quickly, a hair dryer, or if you have one of those dryer racks for clothes dryers to dry without tumbling.

Dye is a great way to color shoes but you could always use fabric paint. Some tips for painting on dye, most dyes and fabric paints need to be heat for more permanence. Two ways to do this, a heat gun but use that with caution because it can melts shoes pretty quickly, a hair dryer, or if you have one of those dryer racks for clothes dryers to dry without tumbling.

Yea, I tried the rit dye method without luck. The liquid is too thin. It doesn't stick to the sole and just looks too water like when I apply

Yea, I tried the rit dye method without luck. The liquid is too thin. It doesn't stick to the sole and just looks too water like when I apply
That is usually the biggest issue with using dye as a paint. Try using paint next time. Read the guide in this best fabric paint and best fabric marker article it is a great primer on picking the right paint. Acrylic sticks well to synthetic materials and sits on top of the material where dye tries to bond directly to material molecules which isn't as effective on non porous material like shoe soles.

Last edited:
Yeah heat gun could have worked and would sped up the drying process. I had to get the liquid evaporate.

Any more mold making.

So what I gave done here is to used that pyramid mat mold I made the other day and using the real shoe sole parts, an making a 2 part that will act as a wall in the exact shape and depth.

I have Vaselined the main mold before pouring this layer, so hopefully it will just peel up.

What I am hoping to get is a removable top mat which will use the pyramids as many small registration points. The idea is that once I work out how much rubber each part needs, I can simply mix and pour that amount. No waste or over thick parts.

I already have a calibrated leveling table to help and if I need to, can pour myself a thin sheet that is rolled over the parts pushing out any excess.

Later on when I get other sizes I will repeat this step to have different sized molds that work on the main bed. Wish me luck.
1cfdf412e1d1e0276a3b247759b40384.jpg

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

That is why I boiled it and used the sludge at the bottom of the pot. It is thick like a paste and then you use water to remove the excess.

And demolded. This seems to have worked. So now I need clean up the edges.
What I might get away with is to flip the top part of the mold over and fill in the base of the mold with more silicone.
If I lay down some cloth, the silicone will infuse into that as well as fuse to itself.

What I should end up with is the correct shape parts with out the need to trim and parts that all have my pointer tread. Best of both worlds.
0d3dc699ff4d6d5897f2400e730e30c8.jpg

And for those how care, here is a video.

It has a MAG compared to it, so kind of related.

https://youtu.be/Ydi9YufwDSw?list=PLfQENJOcAQQ7nJYpf0srGFfKpHWx8Hn4i

Cool. Glad you like them. My pair didn't come with the box (hence why I got them so cheap) but that quick-pull lacing system might have been the inspiration to the MAG's power laces, as I can imagine someone from the movie industry seeing that and wondering how it might evolve in another 30 years or something . The Air Max 95's (and probably others) had a similar effect using round laces in round holes, but they're just not as comfortable as flat ones.

Cool. Glad you like them. My pair didn't come with the box (hence why I got them so cheap) but that quick-pull lacing system might have been the inspiration to the MAG's power laces, as I can imagine someone from the movie industry seeing that and wondering how it might evolve in another 30 years or something . The Air Max 95's (and probably others) had a similar effect using round laces in round holes, but they're just not as comfortable as flat ones.

I wonder which came first, these or the MAG? I do like them and it hard to believe that I own them again. They have changed the design slightly and I do wonder if the changes included a type of FlyWire?

One thing that makes the MAG so comfortable is the way the laces, even though they are only elastic, run down the side to the midsole. My 90s pair of Pressures did not have anything like this and as a result, you would see the side near the middle bulge out and sometimes it felt loose. Pumping more air in didn't help.

Puma Disc was the first shoe to address this issue in a consumer shoe product. Funny how they used the MAG power lace scene of BTTF2 to showcase their laceless system. Of course now all shoes have some form attachment and Nike calls theirs FlyWire which I think sounds better as McFlyWire.

I got mine last month. Nice trainers. Love the box too.

Not as comfy as the mags or my Reebok pump though

Yeah that is what I noticed last night as well. Granted these are not broke in yet, not that it likey they will ever be. My Reebok Pumps (not The Pump) had Energy Return System in the heel and it was amazing.

My MAGs are just like socks on soles because I have those inserts (that @DraginGalvy found) and my wear pair is sporting brand new clear soles.
d7cf44924bd98f5172cbce82eceed984.jpg
9d7298c7daaed08dde116cc76c7b76f3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that is what I noticed last night as well. Granted these are not broke in yet, not that it likey they will ever be. My Reebok Pumps (not The Pump) had Energy Return System in the heel and it was amazing.

My MAGs are just like socks on soles because I have those inserts (that @DraginGalvy found) and my wear pair is sporting brand new clear soles. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/d7cf44924bd98f5172cbce82eceed984.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/9d7298c7daaed08dde116cc76c7b76f3.jpg

If you ever get replacement V3's you might want to think about going half a size up, they look a little stretched.
As for Energy Return System Pumps, you can still find new versions of them being sold on Ebay. ;)

If you ever get replacement V3's you might want to think about going half a size up, they look a little stretched.
As for Energy Return System Pumps, you can still find new versions of them being sold on Ebay. ;)
Snug for sure. Too loose without the sock liner as I can feel my feet slide inside. I think 10.5 or 11s would be too big based on how these fit.

I think the pair of Reeboks I have coming will be the last pair I ever need. Can we say Stompers here?

I was looking for "the pump" but none of the pairs I found had the strap. If I am going to buy a pair, they have to include the strap.

After those, the only other movie shoes I will seek out are the Terminator Vandals.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back