Quick question about 3D printing?

Wingman

I want to buy this model and have it printed but I don't really know anything about 3d printing. All I want to know is if that model will work for 3d printing? Any other tips I might need to know before printing would be appreciated too.

I wouldn't want to start with that as my first print ever.

If it isn't designed explicitly for printing, it is going to take a little work. I'm an experienced modeler so I would tweak the mesh for printability (I've done it on purchased models before). Other people have had success with the automatic mesh repair and fill/combining/etc. tools of their slicer.

I'd strongly suggest printing some smaller, designed-for-printing meshes to get your feet wet before you drop sixty bucks on something you aren't ready to work with yet.

I just noticed that in the list of available file formats the original creator has commented, "please contact for .STL" That suggests to me he is aware that some people might be interested in printing the model, and is willing to work with them. So I'd go ahead and contact him or her.

"Stereolithography (.stl) (Contact for availability)"

........not as a default option.... no.

nomuse beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having purchased models from "H3d" before, I'd say definitely not. It was likly drawn to look good on screen or in a game scenario. The mesh will not likly be water tight or "solid", and have many holes and unconnected faces in the mesh, which cannot be printed. A lot of clean-up I suspect will be needed.

Thanks guys, and nice find MWiggs. I have a few simpler projects I want to print, I'll see how those go, and try to get better with blender.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back