My Mk. 42 build, new STL files for upper arm section

Thank you!

I plan on doing the shoulders when get the time, and probably the chest for scaling reference.

Usually, the finishing steps after printing looks like:

• Sanding
  • Filler
  • Sanding
  • Spray filler
  • Sanding
  • Second coat of Spray filler
  • Sanding
  • Spot putty
  • Sanding
  • Primer
  • Filling + sanding of micro pores if necessary
  • Color
  • Clear coat
  • Polish

Quite a few steps but I feel like it's worth it for a good finish.

Talking about finish, here are most of the pieces painted.
View attachment 305714
Just the inner structure left.

could you you tell me what colors you used exactly? I'm in love with your color scheme!! and another thing, you are using a sealer after sanding? I mean that using spray sealant, could you I say you make and where you bought it?

excuse my English but I'm Spanish and I'm no very good at this.

what kind of sizing do you have for fingers? I've had issues sizing and fitting fingers. The last pair I made seemed to fit me diameter wise but I had issues with the length of each knuckle. When I had my fingers out flat they overlapped and would extend so my finger tip would no longer be touching the inside tip of the glove. I feel like trimming the knuckles to a point where they fit a bit better made them look out of proportion. Do I have weird fingers/knuckles or am I just missing a scaling or construction issue? I ask because I was thinking of getting some fingers 3d printed or ordering some casts (if you still take orders when I need yours are beautiful).

Also connecting the fingers I hear people talk about fishing line, what do you use to attach it and make it stick since resin gives me trouble gluing at times and I imagine fishing line as even worse. Also making it not cut through your glue or rip out of place every time you put on the fingers. The fishing line also seems unforgiving as compared to attaching knuckle through elastic bands. I've seen your mobility tests and they're amazing and your work is fantastic, I want to make sure that my gloves can be awesome too! any tips are greatly appreciated

could you you tell me what colors you used exactly? I'm in love with your color scheme!! and another thing, you are using a sealer after sanding? I mean that using spray sealant, could you I say you make and where you bought it?

excuse my English but I'm Spanish and I'm no very good at this.

The colors are Toyota Mica Red Metallic and Volvo Lunar Gold Metallic. I use a local brand called Biltema. I doubt it's available in Spain..
Yes, I use a primer between the filler and color. Just about any universal primer will do as long as it's compatible with the rest of the paint.

what kind of sizing do you have for fingers? I've had issues sizing and fitting fingers. The last pair I made seemed to fit me diameter wise but I had issues with the length of each knuckle. When I had my fingers out flat they overlapped and would extend so my finger tip would no longer be touching the inside tip of the glove. I feel like trimming the knuckles to a point where they fit a bit better made them look out of proportion. Do I have weird fingers/knuckles or am I just missing a scaling or construction issue? I ask because I was thinking of getting some fingers 3d printed or ordering some casts (if you still take orders when I need yours are beautiful).

Also connecting the fingers I hear people talk about fishing line, what do you use to attach it and make it stick since resin gives me trouble gluing at times and I imagine fishing line as even worse. Also making it not cut through your glue or rip out of place every time you put on the fingers. The fishing line also seems unforgiving as compared to attaching knuckle through elastic bands. I've seen your mobility tests and they're amazing and your work is fantastic, I want to make sure that my gloves can be awesome too! any tips are greatly appreciated
The bottom parts are made longer than needed to fit different glove designs and can be cut down, plus the inner joint cover plates are also trimmable making more room for the fingers.
I had some problem getting the fishing line to stick as you mentioned, so I have now changed it for thick cotton yarn much like the stuff you tie up steaks for roasting etc.
Super glue works fine once you rough up the resin a bit with a file or sanding paper.

1385232_778459592164335_185384994_n.jpg
Some test fitting. Quite beefy XD
The elbow joint is made from pieces of aluminium blinds.

how big is your bicep around? I printed the back bottom pieces and they seem small. Are they supposed to be so fitted?
I didnt adjust the size of your file just brought it into my print program and printed.
20140412_151851.jpg20140412_151837.jpg20140412_151826(1).jpg

how big is your bicep around? I printed the back bottom pieces and they seem small. Are they supposed to be so fitted?
I didnt adjust the size of your file just brought it into my print program and printed.
View attachment 310893View attachment 310892View attachment 310891

Hey Guys I resized Abb's bicep files for people with slightly larger arms (15" Around) x ( 5" wide measuring front of bicep ) Hope this is useful. Thanks Abb for your amazing files, keep up the great work bud!

Here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9t1vv7nhdstgrca/SH0C9uAYOk
Hmm, that looks too tiny!
You're probably a bit bigger than me and needed to re-scale anyway.
My arm measures 32cm (~12.5") around and there's still plenty of room for padding.
I suspect there may be something fishy going on with the conversion as I reckon you're going with inches..?
That said, the upper arm is a bit narrow down at the joint area so you might want to scale the files a few percent wider in that direction.

What program are you using?

And thanks for sharing the scaled version :)

Last edited:
Can you show off your range of motion with the arm. Also what are your costs for materials for 3d printing?

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk
The range is approx. 90 degrees, that is if you want the hinge to be at the correct position to avoid ugly gaps.
I'm sure it can be modified for greater flexibility, but I'm gonna stick to good looks, besides I don't plan on doing any live action moves anyway :)

As for material costs I'm not really sure. I've had this 2.2kg spool for a long time and have printed the entire upper arm, the elbow cover, an extra bicep plate and a whole lot of parts for the printer itself and have used little over half of it.
The model is cut at places to minimize support material, and where needed I have built my own supports to further lower the material usage.

I buy here in Spain ABS and PLA filament to 17 € / kg and have not had any problem about this item.

and though he never used the PLA and I do not really know how it works, and will go looking

in a shop called FISITEK, Carlet - Valencia if you want to contact them you can give the email, and the web have in the building, so without any problem shipments to any part of Spain, which is not if it is sent abroad, also I have your phone number without any problem which serve to everyone.

en una tienda que se llama FISITEK, de Carlet - Valencia si quieres ponerte en contacto con ellos te puedo dar el correo electronico, ya que la web la tienen en construccion, hacen envios sin ningun problema a cualquier parte de españa, lo que no se es si mandan al extranjero, Tambien tengo su numero de telefono donde atienden sin ningun problema a todo el mundo.

WOW, really good work and great files! I hope you will continue.
Your models are pretty accurate but if you want to go further I made some comparing pics of you model and reference picture of the MK42 statue.
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-3.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

I think that the area of the arm joint needs remodeling. Here you can find great reference pictures for the arm.

Good work, keep it up!

Sorry I forgot to put the gallery here :D Iron Man MK42 gallery . It is a great gallery with great reference pictures.

I was thinking about the elbow joint and I think a good idea is to make holes in the inner part for upper arm where the bolts are located and make two plates with these bolts on the forearm inner piece. After that you only need to slightly bend the two plates and pop the bolts into the holes.

Untitled-4.jpg

I know it is not perfect but just throwing ideas :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back