96 Don Post Boba Fett helmet - ESB paintup

jusdrewit

Sr Member
I've had this completed for a few months now and have posted it over on the TDH, but thought i would share it here on the RPF. This was probably the most time consuming project I've ever undertaken..I lost track of the total number of hours spent but it was well over 250 hours. This was a '96 Don Post bucket that I had since I was a kid, even back then I realized the original paint scheme was atrocious and had wanted an authentic ESB paint scheme. I did the best an 11 year could by pouring over SW Insider pics, and pausing ESB on vhs, but it was far from perfect. Fast forward to last year, and finally I decided to tackle it. Here is the finished product, and while I am very proud of it I can't wait to order up a GMH helmet (I'm 5'9) and do one with a little more stability and proper proportions than my DP helmet had, as I have learned SO much from my first attempt.

I couldn't have done this without the amazing templates/stencils on TDH, looking at countless paint threads by Dom/Fett4Real and SuperJedi...they always made it look so easy! Lancreative studios who I learned so much from on his IG page, and lastly by the awesome Fettastic who was patient when I had a million questions on his incredible helmet.

Quick list of mods: swapped out T-visor, and extended rangefinder/stock to the correct height. One day I will dremel out the back keyslots and place a calculator piece like the pros do.

DSCN0077.JPG

DSCN0080.JPG

DSCN0079.JPG

DSCN0088.JPG

DSCN0085.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG

DSCN0083.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

DSCN0081.JPG

DSCN0089.JPG

REALLY nice job! The only thing that even hints to me that this used to be a DP'96 is the visor width.

I can't wait to see your next one!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

REALLY nice job! The only thing that even hints to me that this used to be a DP'96 is the visor width.

I can't wait to see your next one!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Appreciate it! Yeah, there was only so much I could do lol, luckily from what I researched '96 DP Fett helmets were one of the better ones made, other years were far worse in their overall shape, look and proportions.

it's looking amazing! man, more than 250 hours, I don't even take that long to build a full guitar, that's impressive :)

Great job!
Thank you!

it's looking amazing! man, more than 250 hours, I don't even take that long to build a full guitar, that's impressive :)
Haha, thanks! I'm sure it was more than 250, i just simply lost track around then lol. Next time I'll time it better but I'm sure it will go much faster.

Thanks for the shout out brother! It turned out so well! Can't wait to see your second paint up on a GMH!

Thanks man! You're work still inspires me, I'm saving my pennies to get my next helmet and then one day a full ESB outfit like yours. :)

Wow, that's a DP??? :eek Excellent job!!
My very first Fett paint up back around 1996 or so was on an old Rubies vinyl helmet. Talk about trying to put lipstick on a pig, lol.

Looks fantastic. I never did understand how DP did such a great job with the ‘96, then mess it up afterwards.

That does look seriously great!

Cheers

Jez

I've had a 95 and two 96 Fett DP standard helmets, and (still) have a DP deluxe (#47). While I still feel that the 1995 was better than the 1996, let me just say that this is IMPRESSIVE work here. The 97 line onward got all warpy and weird (The DP standard Fett 95 and 96 were slightly undersized buckets and the DP Fett Deluxe is based off of the pre-pro 3 helmet, right Jez?)

I've had a 95 and two 96 Fett DP standard helmets, and (still) have a DP deluxe (#47). While I still feel that the 1995 was better than the 1996, let me just say that this is IMPRESSIVE work here. The 97 line onward got all warpy and weird (The DP standard Fett 95 and 96 were slightly undersized buckets and the DP Fett Deluxe is based off of the pre-pro 3 helmet, right Jez?)
Thank you! I never owned a DP 95 but from what I heard, that is the best one with the 96 DP right behind it. Unfortunately they seem to be rather scare

Wow, that's a DP??? :eek Excellent job!!
My very first Fett paint up back around 1996 or so was on an old Rubies vinyl helmet. Talk about trying to put lipstick on a pig, lol.

Wow, I am humbled at your comment! Your paint threads on TDH, here and most recently IG have been sooo inspirational and such an amazing guide to us rookies! Appreciate the kind words, and thank you :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back