What do y'all use for lightsaber case/stand sources?

Does anyone know of a good place to get your own shapes lasercut in acrylic? That doesn't require "call us, and we'll give you a quote"? Just all online?

www.ponoko.com is fantastic and completely automated - you don't have to talk to (email) a person unless you want to.

Billy book shelf from IKEA with glass door, and a wine bottle rack from amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man that looks amazing in the Billy with the single spotlight! That is the same wine rack that I use but your presentation is so much better.

I made my own.

attachment-46.jpg

Billy book shelf from IKEA with glass door, and a wine bottle rack from amazon.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/0f9f9aa64bbcbf311c43695cbfcf02c5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/9e79de30d40549998bd5d3e5bda1555b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/80e1e64074b65ad545d28b95a4e5808b.jpg

@ Trooper_trent - how have you got your helmets mounted on the wall? They look ace!

I made custom mounts
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=217570 but photobucket is crap and all the pics are gone at the moment. I'll try to update them soon

Besides what's been posted are there any new finds? I have an SH Ahsoka that I'm getting back tomorrow and would like to find a stand for it.

I tried contacting Darklyte since he made the 2 tier stand for it originally about doing a single tier for me last year as I only bought the larger one hilt. At the time he said he was busy but would contact me when he could fit me in, fast forward to a few days ago I tried again since I was finally getting mine worked on and still no word yet. But I thought I saw somewhere when I was looking around last night that he will be closing down, this was posted back in December.

I've have some 4 bottle wire tabletop wine racks that worked out pretty well. I got them at Target, but as far as I know, they're no longer available there. I've seen a similar desing that holds six at a store called At Home.

I've also used 1/18 scale car cases (a 1/24 scale for Yoda's). For a Darth Maul, I modified and old MR FX lightsaber stand. Most recently I've scavenged a bunch of plastic spacers that metal patio furniture gets shipped with. From the end it looks a little like an "x". I joined two of them together by press fitting them on either end of a rectangular profile metal tube.

I've used wine racks since 2000.

Here is my collection back then. This is back before MR so with the exception of Icons, All the replicas were fan made so nothing had cases.

This type of set up was great because you can display a high number of hilts using little shelf space. I think I found this rack for $20 and I used pieces of sliced clear aquarium tubing along the bottom edges to protect the hilts from hitting the metal of the rack.

The down side is that I did not have it in any kind of case so you need to dust your hilts.
lgsaberrack copy.JPG

Later as my MR hilt collection grew, I swapped out the fan made. My fan made collection wassailer which allowed me to use smaller racks that I could put in a glass door cabinet. It used self sticking black felt to line the bottom edges of the racks to protect the hilts. Because they were in a cabinet, I did not have to worry about dust.

IMG_0340.JPG

So now my general thought about hilt displays. The image below shows the official hilts and their cases. As you can see, even in room dedicated to SW prop replicas, displaying a high number of hilts in this way requires a lot of space. I am not happy with the way this looks. At some point my collection room will be redone. I plan to add some idea cabinets and install a couple of full grid walls to use shallow and close stacking shelving for the cases along with other display attachment for no cased props.

IMG_0365.JPG

IMHO, individual cases as okay if you have a small number of hilt or you have a lot of space. When MR first sold hilts, you had the option of getting them with to without a case. I usually got them without a case. My problem with cases is that I tend not to want to handle the hilts, and what fun is that? When the cases were included, I felt compelled to use them because i felt I was wasting money not to use them.

The other thing is that cases and racks are can be expensive and the cost in the collection can add up. A MR style stand and case can run about $100 or more. A simpler stand can run $20 t9 $50. That's okay for the particular/special items but when you are talking about a large collection, I just see it as money that could have gone to buying another prop replica.

I also think you should stay away from creating a hilt display that fits your current collection. You should ensure that the display you create allows to add or subtract hilts as your collection changes for proper display.

I am also not a fan of collectors who utilize an acrylic cover and them puts them into a glass cabinet. I think that looking through two pieces of material is distracting and that it is pointless like using an umbrella inside a house. That's just my opinion.

There are some really good examples here of practical ideas that conserve space and also are cheap.

So in summary.
Special display stands are good if you have one or more:
-You have lots of room if your collection is big.
-You can afford or willing to have the added expense.
-You have a small collection or want to feature special pieces in your collection.

For now this is the only saber I plan on having, there is another I'm interested in but it will be quite awhile if at all.

After a bit of back and forth with looking, I found a stand from an Etsy seller that I was happy with and placed an order today, had to wait to get my hilt in today so I could take a measurement since he cuts the risers specifically for the saber so it sits nicely. I also have a plaque for it in the works aswell from Plaques 4 Props (facebook) which I ran across while looking. I came up with the rough design he's just going to slightly revise it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back