Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Personally i think the Jedi in the prequals, and even yoda in the originals, represented the pre-ww2 establishment that ignored what was going on in Germany and the expansion despite knowing bad things were happening. The Jedi and senate they had their heads in the sand when it came to taking action that could have made a difference.

Good point!

agreed. kids these days are spoiled! :D Remember how amazingly cool the chess creatures were in New Hope and even the stop motion Taun Tauns in ESB... I think we appreciated that it was stop motion animated, knew it and was blown away at how cool it was! very few movies even in the 70's and early 80's were doing stop motion animation. There was something magical about the look of it. Now you could never get away with it...it has to be CGI for today's audience.

That's because stop-motion and later go-motion were state of the art technology back then, there was no other way to do it. While I tend not to believe Lucas about him saying how things in all of the special edition releases were the way he really wanted it I do believe that if that 3D animation technology existed back when he was doing the OT a lot of things would have been done using CG, esp. the tauntauns. For that matter, I'm sure that a lot movie directors back before 3D animation was a reality would have chosen to go the CG route for a lot of their effects because it represented the state of the art in special effects technology.

That's the kind of thing I'm hoping the new Star Wars doesn't fall into. If there's going to be issues on morality, it should be taken more seriously than how it was in handled in both ROTJ (Instant redemption for decades of violence with an act of violence) and the PT (Murdering innocent men, women and children can be easily overlooked with love). One of the worst things I'm anticipating is that Anakin will be regarded as a true hero who everyone looks up to for inspiration since he saved Luke's life at the end of ROTJ. NO! Even if you were trying to go for his pre-Vader days, he was still a manipulative bugger who was murdering people in mass years before he turned into Vader. He should not get off the hook so easily.

It could be argued that they see the things done by Vader/Anakin as being done by two separate people, you have Anakin Skywalker the Jedi hero of the Clone Wars then there was Darth Vader the evil lord of the Sith. It's not like Anakin was always evil like the Emperor probably was but was a corrupted sole and once he turned fully to the Dark Side he was no longer Anakin Skywalker but became Darth Vader and it was Darth Vader who killed all of the younglings, hunted down the Jedi, and was the right hand man to the Emperor, not Anakin.

And as stated by others above, the glorified representation of characters who have a very shady view of morality is one of my biggest concerns for the new movies. Despite Yoda being wrong at almost everything, none of the stories ever portrays him as admitting he was wrong or that there was another way he could have handled a situation. The reason why this irks me so much is that outside of Star Wars, Yoda is looked on as some wise inspirational hero who can do no wrong.

i think the public perception of Yoda is more informed by ESB and ROTJ then the PT. And despite these films being older then the PT from a narrative standpoint they show the character after making these decisions while leading the Jedi Council.

It could be argued that they see the things done by Vader/Anakin as being done by two separate people

....no. Vader still refers to Obi-Wan as his former master, still loves Padme and acknowledges Luke as his son. He knows who he is and acknowledges it. He just took up a different mantle.

I'm really not dissing you at all Riceball, but I hate this reasoning with a passion. You might as well say that a Jedi is no no longer responsible for their own actions if they decide to go all evil. Anakin made some really stupid decisions and the films portray it to be all on him. He "chose" this path, he "walked" this path and he "stood" by this path for decades. Darth Vader is Anakin deciding to be a bad guy, not some completely separate entity that possessed him.

You can look at Yoda from to perspectives. 1. In the OT he is much older and wiser from his past mistakes. 2. The argument could be made that he for saw how ROTJ would end and that in fact would full fill the prophecy that he believed in.

....no. Vader still refers to Obi-Wan as his former master, still loves Padme and acknowledges Luke as his son. He knows who he is and acknowledges it. He just took up a different mantle.

I'm really not dissing you at all Riceball, but I hate this reasoning with a passion. You might as well say that a Jedi is no no longer responsible for their own actions if they decide to go all evil. Anakin made some really stupid decisions and the films portray it to be all on him. He "chose" this path, he "walked" this path and he "stood" by this path for decades. Darth Vader is Anakin deciding to be a bad guy, not some completely separate entity that possessed him.

Agreed. Anakin also slaughtered the Sandpeople wholesale pre-Vader, an act that completely violated the Jedi code and all that. Anakin is arrogant and does what he wants.

You can look at Yoda from to perspectives. 1. In the OT he is much older and wiser from his past mistakes. 2. The argument could be made that he for saw how ROTJ would end and that in fact would full fill the prophecy that he believed in.

I don't know. Being much older and wiser from his past mistakes pretty much equates to "I've learned from my mistakes so now the Sith are no longer my problem. Let the rest of the galaxy sort it out." or for your second point "Let the prophecy sort it out". Personally, I always saw his self-exile as a cowardly act because, what exactly does it accomplish? He's a Jedi with years war experience. The rebels could totally use his help! If the Empire discovers his existence, it wouldn't matter since the Imperials are hunting the rebels down anyways. Seriously, they're blowing up whole inhabited planets just to find one rebel base! What more could they do?

Last edited:

I don't know. Being much older and wiser from his past mistakes pretty much equates to "I've learned from my mistakes so now the Sith are no longer my problem. Let the rest of the galaxy sort it out." or for your second point "Let the prophecy sort it out". Personally, I always saw his self-exile as a cowardly act because, what exactly does it accomplish? He's a Jedi with years war experience. The rebels could totally use his help! If the Empire discovers his existence, it wouldn't matter since the Imperials are hunting the rebels down anyways. Seriously, they're blowing up whole inhabited planets just to find one rebel base! What more could they do?

You could argue that but it's not like Yoda was exactly in the center of the galaxy and was really able to keep up on current events, I don't think that he got INN out on Dagobah. The most logical explanation for Yoda's hiding out on Dagobah was that he knew that his role was to keep low and wait for the 'anointed one' to show at which time he'll train him thus fulfilling the Prophecy. Sure, he could have gone around and did his jumping bean routine all over the galaxy and helping the Rebels but in the greater scheme of things that would have done nothing but bring undue attention to himself along with any Rebel cell that he might be working with and his duty, as it were, was to remain hidden so that he could live long enough to train "The One".

Think of it like the US's policy for fighter pilots during WW II, ace pilots were routinely rotated out of combat and back to the States in order to train and pass on what they've learned to new pilots in training. Would most of them rather have been still flying with their squadrons and shooting down more Germans or Japanese, sure but the brass realized that it was more important for them to pass on what they've learned so that the new pilots going off to join active squadrons in combat will have a better chance of surviving to become aces themselves. Contrast this to the German and Japanese practice of keeping their pilots in theater until the end of the war where the odds eventually caught up to a lot of them, since a lot of them have been flying in combat since the mid to late 30s, and new pilots had to learn how to survive in combat on their own in actual combat. This is sort of what happened to Luke actually, he learned the basics of being a Jedi and how to wield a lightsaber and then went to face Vader to finish his training, imagine how much worse off he would have been had he not gotten at least the basics from Yoda and went up against Vader knowing only what he learned from Ben?

Being much older and wiser from his past mistakes pretty much equates to "I've learned from my mistakes so now the Sith are no longer my problem. Let the rest of the galaxy sort it out."

Not sure if I follow that. If I do follow it, I don't think I agree with it.

You could argue that but it's not like Yoda was exactly in the center of the galaxy and was really able to keep up on current events, I don't think that he got INN out on Dagobah. The most logical explanation for Yoda's hiding out on Dagobah was that he knew that his role was to keep low and wait for the 'anointed one' to show at which time he'll train him thus fulfilling the Prophecy. Sure, he could have gone around and did his jumping bean routine all over the galaxy and helping the Rebels but in the greater scheme of things that would have done nothing but bring undue attention to himself along with any Rebel cell that he might be working with and his duty, as it were, was to remain hidden so that he could live long enough to train "The One".

Where in any of the films does it state that Yoda wanted to hide on Dagobah so he could wait to train the "anointed" one? You put a lot of emphasis that Yoda knows all about how the prophecy works to the point that he voluntarily does nothing to help the galaxy fight the Sith's rule of the galaxy. If that's what was going on, the films should have at least told us about it. Heck, when Luke comes to Dagobah, he has to be convinced by Ghost Obi-Wan that he is ready and upon leaving says that "there is another" when in comes to their only hope. Given what the films tell us, Yoda just wanted to go into exile because he's a sore loser.

Also, unwanted attention? The rebels are out numbered and out gunned but having an experienced Jedi commander is a no-no because it would invite unwanted attention? Rice, the Empire is so obsessed with ending the Rebel Alliance that they're willing to destroy non-rebel planets just because they can. If you're worried about them sensing other Jeid, well, Even Vader needed probe droids to hunt for Skywalker since his ability to sense others is limited to extremely close proximity. Cripes. He couldn't even sense Obi-Wan or Luke's presence on Tattoine when he was pursuing Leia.

I've never seen any of the acting chops of this Adam Driver guy, but based off of his looks I'd say he could fill a good sith role. He is a very dark looking person.

Looking forward to this, makes me think of a Pinhead type of Sith or Dark Jedi, Or maybe somekind of Alien kind of Sith...but Villain doesn't have to mean he's strong in the Force.

He's goofy looking. Let's hope he can act (or is heavily made up. Better yet, both).

ya, never heard of him ....which is good.. I want more lesser knowns in this film. Will have to search youtube to see if there are any clips of him acting...

adam-driver-nightwing-denial.jpg

I watched Driver in Girls. I don't think you can properly judge him based on that... The way he talks and his demeanor isn't very Star War-ish. Not saying he wouldn't be good - just not a very telling performance.

- - - Updated - - -

The first original Star Wars movie was never something to over think about. The story and characters were simple enough and the mysterious Force was presented in a way that we didn't need to question what it was or how it really worked. The universe had it's own way of working and it presented itself in a simple fashion that we could believe what was going on. With the Prequels, they added all this other stuff that made the overall story a complete mess with politics, midi-chlorians, prophecies and blatant fan service. I can forgive details about the Force because this is obviously something that's unique to this universe, but you can't really apply the same level of mystery or interest to something that should, for all intents and purposes, actually be developed.o
Tl; dr.

Read my post again.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back